• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Bang for the $$$ in GA books

91 posts in this topic

I would like to solicit the esteemed opinions of long time GA collectors on these boards in terms of best combination of art & story for the money.

Even though I have been collecting comics for a few years now, I am a newbie to GA comics. Over the last couple years however, I have really been drawn to this era of comic books, especially after seeing so many great books in the GA forum and the selling forum. I have been collecting mostly BA stuff from my childhood. My favorite BA titles are (in no particular order) Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, HOM, HOS, Star Spangled War Stories, Our Army at War, & Tarzan. I also like a few superhero titles from both Marvel (Spider-Man, Thor, DD) & DC (Superboy (LOSH), Batman), but I am mostly drawn to non-superhero titles.

Because of my taste in BA books, I am particularly drawn to pre-code horror as I know many others on the boards are as well. However, I like to try new things, so I am open to anything that has good art and would be enjoyable to read. Price is a bit of a factor, which is why I was asking about the most bang for the buck, but if it's something really worthwhile, I certainly don't mind spending a little more hefty amount.

So what do you guys suggest for a GA newbie on a somewhat limited budget? I am a blank slate as far as Golden Age comics are concerned.

The good news: Even on a budget you find copies of very, very cool books if you're flexible about the grade you can accept.

The bad news: There are a lot of very, very cool GA books and it's very easy to move over to the Dark Side. Sure, you'll just buy one EC. But then wouldn't it go really nice with that Atlas pre-code. And that, of course, was influenced by crime comics so why not a Crime Does Not Pay. Or two. Pretty soon you're selling BA to feed the habit of Good Girl Art and Sci-Fi. Eventually that isn't enough and you find yourself staring with dull, lifeless eyes at that Centaur comic wondering if you still have an extra GA mylar to put it in. This life of tragedy and endless sorrow is not for you.

gotta love the venus run.

venuses.jpg

Billy did you leave space in the middle for you? :grin: Nice group shot!

that billy is so creative!

If that pic existed 5 decades ago it'd be in SOTI

:eek:

R.

I just want to thank everyone who posted in my thread so far. My eyes are really starting to open up to whole new world of collecting. It looks like my wallet may also be opening up for some of the books I've now seen that I want. :insane: However, it does look like there are some less expensive options as well and I really appreciate everyone's comments and input. I am truly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and helpful board members here. (worship) I've been looking through some of the other threads in the GA forum and I am beginning to realize that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to comic books.

If anyone feels like it, please post more.

Thanks again.

I just want to thank everyone who posted in my thread so far. My eyes are really starting to open up to whole new world of collecting. It looks like my wallet may also be opening up for some of the books I've now seen that I want. :insane: However, it does look like there are some less expensive options as well and I really appreciate everyone's comments and input. I am truly grateful for the wealth of knowledge and helpful board members here. (worship) I've been looking through some of the other threads in the GA forum and I am beginning to realize that I know absolutely nothing when it comes to comic books.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If you don't already have the Gerber Guides, you may want to invest in a set. Bud Plant has the best price. They are indispensible for collecting GA and are just plain cool to flip through at random. I'd recommend putting off the purchase of a book or three to get a Gerber set.

In terms of pure reading enjoyment, as well as decent covers & art in Precode Horror I recommend these titles:

Dark Mysteries

Mysterious Adventures

Black Cat Mystery

Chamber of Chills

Witches Tales

Strange Mysteries

Journey Into Fear

Strange Stories from Another World (Unknown World#1)

I just read through this thread and have to say it's a great thread, very informative, and makes the heart glad especially after reading thru the Gus/Action1 fiasco recently!!!

This is what the hobby is all about, all of us sharing our comics and helping one another out mentioning great reads that others might not be aware of.

I especially salute Alecholland for his honest and humble attitude and I welcome him to the GA of collecting!!!

Now Alecholland, if someone tries to tell you about Centaur, run the other way!!! :devil:

gotta love the venus run.

I have added Venus to my want list. Have you read any of them? Are they also fun to read?

Thanks!

The Everett issues certainly are (14 up). I can't recall an Everett story that I didn't enjoy.

Thanks again.

Here's an excellent thread that will introduce you comics circa 1952. Lots of discussions about artists, stories, pop culture etc.

link

I just read through this thread and have to say it's a great thread, very informative, and makes the heart glad especially after reading thru the Gus/Action1 fiasco recently!!!

This is what the hobby is all about, all of us sharing our comics and helping one another out mentioning great reads that others might not be aware of.

I especially salute Alecholland for his honest and humble attitude and I welcome him to the GA of collecting!!!

Now Alecholland, if someone tries to tell you about Centaur, run the other way!!! :devil:

A run of Amazing-Man was going to be first on my WTB list. :devil:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been pouring over some of the other threads trying to glean as much knowledge as I can. This forum truly is an invaluable resource.

Here's an excellent thread that will introduce you comics circa 1952. Lots of discussions about artists, stories, pop culture etc.

link

Thanks for the link. I read through the first few pages and it is excellent indeed! I plan to do a lot of reading in this forum the next few weeks, or more likely, months. I have a lot of learning to do.

I have been collecting mostly BA stuff from my childhood. My favorite BA titles are (in no particular order) Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, HOM, HOS, Star Spangled War Stories, Our Army at War, & Tarzan.

Hi friend, I was taking another look at this first post in your thread and wanted to offer another thought:

Many folks here have recommended ECs, and I can't back that up more strongly. But knowing that you're a fan of HOM, HOS, Swamp Thing etc, you really owe it to yourself to take a look at Graham Ingels' stories in the EC horror titles (Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Haunt of Fear) in particular.

Any fan of Wrightson's art is going to be a HUGE fan of Ingels' art...and the stories are just terrific fun. I personally feel that the BA DC horror stories pale next to the EC stories. The original ECs were a huge influence on the bronze horror stuff you already know and love.

So, just wanted to share that. Happy hunting! (thumbs u

I agree with Point Five completely. At the very least, you will never regret buying just ONE original EC comic to get a feel for the real thing. The aroma of the old pulp paper, the enjoyment you will have turning the pages and reading wonderful stories in their original form like kids from the 1950's did. EC's are like the Elvis of comic books. hm

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

If you don't already have the Gerber Guides, you may want to invest in a set. Bud Plant has the best price. They are indispensible for collecting GA and are just plain cool to flip through at random. I'd recommend putting off the purchase of a book or three to get a Gerber set.

I second this recommendation. Well worth splurging for.

I have been collecting mostly BA stuff from my childhood. My favorite BA titles are (in no particular order) Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, HOM, HOS, Star Spangled War Stories, Our Army at War, & Tarzan.

Hi friend, I was taking another look at this first post in your thread and wanted to offer another thought:

Many folks here have recommended ECs, and I can't back that up more strongly. But knowing that you're a fan of HOM, HOS, Swamp Thing etc, you really owe it to yourself to take a look at Graham Ingels' stories in the EC horror titles (Vault of Horror, Tales From the Crypt, Haunt of Fear) in particular.

Any fan of Wrightson's art is going to be a HUGE fan of Ingels' art...and the stories are just terrific fun. I personally feel that the BA DC horror stories pale next to the EC stories. The original ECs were a huge influence on the bronze horror stuff you already know and love.

So, just wanted to share that. Happy hunting! (thumbs u

Haunt of Fear has a many a Ingles cover...a real good starting point.As far as Everett goes there is a recent Marvel Masterworks that features the Atlas superhero period and has reprints by him of Subby and Marvel Boy.It'll give you a good feel for what Everett is all about.He's always been a favorite of mine....Plenty of never reprinted Atlas pre code by him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A run of Amazing-Man was going to be first on my WTB list. :devil:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been pouring over some of the other threads trying to glean as much knowledge as I can. This forum truly is an invaluable resource.

:o:frustrated::pullhair:(tsk)