• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT & other copper help

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is there a site that helps decode the TMNT madness?

I'm trying to help a friend determine what some of his copper books are worth. Couldn't find some in the guide. Part of the problem is that I don't have the books in hand.

I had a hard time telling what print the books were (again, not enough time to look).

Any of these books desirable or all they all a couple dollar books:

Turtles #1 3rd print??

Turtles #2 3rd print??

Turtles #3 1st print?? (different cover than the bus)

Turtles #7

Turtles #8

Turtles #9

Turtles #10

Tales of TMNT #2 (Couldn't find)

Tales of TMNT #3 (Couldn't find)

How to Draw the Turtles (Couldn't find)

Leonardo #1

Donatello #1

Donatello #3 (couldn't find)

TMNT Authorized Training Manual (couldn't find)

Space Ghost #1 Comico

Mage #2, 7, 8, 10-15

Usagi #1,2,5 (didn't verify if it was 1st print)

Flaming Carrot #10

Pat

What do you mean "Turtles #3 1st print?? (different cover than the bus)"?

Here's some info:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mirage Studios

#1 (1st print) 3,000 printed - May 1984 (over sized) (counterfeits exist)

#1 (2nd print) 6,000 printed (OS states 15,000, incorrect) - June 1984 (over sized)

#1 (3rd print) 35,000 printed - February 1985 (over sized)

#1 (4th print) 60,000 printed - September 1985 (comic size)

#1 (5th print) - November 1988 (comic size)

#2 (1st print) 15,000 printed - October 1984 (over sized)

#2 (2nd print) 30,000 printed - January 1985 (over sized)

#2 (3rd print) - January 1985 (comic size) R. Corben cover.

#3 NY Comic Convention edition - 500 printed before the 1st print (with Laird's Photos in white on cover) - 1985 (over sized)

#3 (1st print) 50,000 printed - (before October) 1985 (over sized)

#3 (2nd print) - November 1988 (comic size)

#4 (1st print) 60,000 printed - (before October) 1985 (over sized)

#4 (2nd print) 60,000 printed - May 1987 (comic size)

#4 (2nd print error "Tales of the TMNT" cover used) 1,000 of 60,000 not destroyed - May 1987 (comic size)

#5 (1st print) 60,000 copies

#6 (1st print) 65,000 copies

#7 (1st print) 95,000 copies

TURTLEMANIA Special #1 (1986)

First Printing

Regular Edition: 3,000 printed

Silver Edition: 100 printed signed by Eastman & Laird

Gold Edition: 10 printed signed by Eastman & Laird and included an original sketch on the back cover

Gobbledygook #1 150 copies (counterfeits exitst?)

Gobbledygook #2 150 copies (counterfeits exitst?)

Gizmo #1 32,000 copies (1st series originally from Chance Comics)

Prime Slime Tales #1 35,000, #2 "projected (at the time)" over 40,000 copies (#3 & 4 switches to Now Comics)

Fugitoid 60,000 copies

Michael 60,000 copies

Raphael 60,000 copies

Donatello "projected (at the time)" over 100,000 copies

Hello,

Is there a site that helps decode the TMNT madness?

I'm trying to help a friend determine what some of his copper books are worth. Couldn't find some in the guide. Part of the problem is that I don't have the books in hand.

I had a hard time telling what print the books were (again, not enough time to look).

Any of these books desirable or all they all a couple dollar books:

Turtles #1 3rd print??

Turtles #2 3rd print??

Turtles #3 1st print?? (different cover than the bus)

Turtles #7

Turtles #8

Turtles #9

Turtles #10

Tales of TMNT #2 (Couldn't find)

Tales of TMNT #3 (Couldn't find)

How to Draw the Turtles (Couldn't find)

Leonardo #1

Donatello #1

Donatello #3 (couldn't find)

TMNT Authorized Training Manual (couldn't find)

Space Ghost #1 Comico

Mage #2, 7, 8, 10-15

Usagi #1,2,5 (didn't verify if it was 1st print)

Flaming Carrot #10

Pat

None of those books are particualrly valuable, and only a handfull will net more that a few dollars each, esp. if they are all raw and not graded. The most valuable book listed would be the #3 1st print. If its in great condition, on a good day you could probably get b/w $20-$30. If by the "(different cover than the bus)" comment you mean to say the variant white cover, then you could easily get $300-$500 for it, depending on condition.

The rest are all pretty cheap books (though still very cool!). The next book of value would probably be the #1 3rd print, which will get b/w $10-$20, if its a 2nd print, you get a bit more, probably in the $40 range.

What do you mean "Turtles #3 1st print?? (different cover than the bus)"?

Is that the non-oversized issue? Then it would be a second print?

Dan

And yea, if you mean this cover, then you are back in the dollar range...

03cover3.jpg

How can I verify the print on the #1? I know it's not a 1st print. But the letter's column, on the inside of the cover, says that the 4th print is coming out soon. Naturally assumed it was the 3rd print. Could be 2nd, I guess.

Anyone have a pic of the white #3 cover? Is the whole thing white?

Any info on the non-TMNT books?

Thanks for the info.

Pat

How can I verify the print on the #1? I know it's not a 1st print. But the letter's column, on the inside of the cover, says that the 4th print is coming out soon. Naturally assumed it was the 3rd print. Could be 2nd, I guess.

Anyone have a pic of the white #3 cover? Is the whole thing white?

Any info on the non-TMNT books?

Thanks for the info.

Pat

Well, if you are looking at a "letters column" (called Turtle Tracks), then you are probably looking at the 4th print, as the first 2 reprints of the book were identical to the 1st print, except that in the top left corner, it says scond or third print. It was not until the 4th printing, that a letters colum was added. It should look like this:

01cover4.jpg

And the difference b/w the #3 covers can be a bit hard to tell, but most notably you'll notice that the "Laird" sign in the back is more white in one version than the other. That is the more rare one.

Regular (common) one:

03cover.jpg

Variant (rare) one:

03cover-white.jpg

Hope this helps!

Hey guys - I know this isn't a copper comic, but other TMNT fans might care about it. Laird has started distributing Vol.4 of TMNT himself (not going through Diamond), starting with issue 29. The individual issues are a little steep ($10), but they are only printing 1,000 and the first 100 or so copies have a nice large head sketch by Laird on the inside back cover. Due to the unusual distribution method, I think these could be "sleepers" in a couple of years. I got my issue in earlier today, and I was pretty excited to have got one with the head sketch :). If you want to get some more info or pickup the issue, check out ninjaturtles.com. - Keith

Hey guys - I know this isn't a copper comic, but other TMNT fans might care about it. Laird has started distributing Vol.4 of TMNT himself (not going through Diamond), starting with issue 29. The individual issues are a little steep ($10), but they are only printing 1,000 and the first 100 or so copies have a nice large head sketch by Laird on the inside back cover. Due to the unusual distribution method, I think these could be "sleepers" in a couple of years. I got my issue in earlier today, and I was pretty excited to have got one with the head sketch :). If you want to get some more info or pickup the issue, check out ninjaturtles.com. - Keith

Yep, I just got mines this weekeend it also had the sketch in it. The book runs $12 with shipping but worht it considering you get a bit of original art along with the comic. Not a bad deal.

And actually, at least for this first issue (#29) , the total signed is closer to 300, as he signed/head sketched for the first 225 for the website, but then he also sold some at NYCC and signed/head sketched those as well for $10.

I'm just glad the book is back!

A deluxe 6th print of #1 came out in 1992 (for a Comic Convention) with 3,000 copies.

Looks like it was the PBBZ 7th reprint (2005) was the limited 3,000 copy printing.

Thats a neat book with Pete's take on the original cover. It also shows the direction Pete would like to take with "remastering" some of the original Mirage books...

I ordered 2 copies of the 3,000 print run 7th print from Mirage yesterday by phone, so they still have copies available and for only $5.00 each. I suggest those interested pick them up as they are too cheap to pass on and with a print run of only 3,000 (same as the 1st print) they can't last forever.