• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silverage12c's NYCC Report --- Plenty of Pics!

36 posts in this topic

OK, you want pics, you got 'em --- My 1st trip to NYCC consisted of helping a dealer load-in on Thursday morning --- boy, dem long boxes get heavy :o after the first few dozen . . . lol . Then, I returned to the show today with my son, Jack (silverage6¢). Both days were good fun, with a chance to meet quite a few of you, ogle some sweet books, and even buy a few ;)

Witness the calm before the storm --- here are a couple shots of the entrance to the show, taken early Thursday. I had never been to the Javits Center before, and it is simply immense. Great facility for a nice big con:

NYCC-16.jpg

NYCC-17.jpg

Had a chance to meet Paul (Toon Tumblers) and Stephen (King of Rulers) on Thursday:

That's Paul on the left, with Stephen on the right, if you haven't had the pleasure of meeting these guys. Paul was hard at work preparing for a flood of buyers --- Stephen had just arrived from Orlando, and we had a good time previewing the few booths that were set up that early.

NYCC-1.jpg

Me with Stephen:

NYCC-2.jpg

I am now the proud owner of 2 of Paul's awesome tumblers --- the Invaders one had always caught my eye, and the Iron Man was his NYCC exclusive this year: (thumbs u

NYCC-14.jpg

Later Thursday afternoon, Stephen and I grabbed lunch a couple blocks off-site. He and I both needed a break and some nourishment badly, and a couple pints didn't hurt, either :grin: Really enjoyed shooting the breeze with him. Mike (MCMiles) and his lovely wife joined us there for a bit, before we wandered back to the show floor for a while. Great people, and you've gotta admire any "better half" that indulges a collector like that! :applause:

Cut to Sunday morning --- Jack and I boarded a train at about 7:30am with visions of comics and toys dancing in our heads :cloud9: He's a great kid, if I do say so myself, and I look forward to many more cons with him, and someone to leave my books to when I go to that big long-box in the sky :angel: Today was Kid's Day, with free admission and plenty of free swag for the young ones! First thing we did is cruise the lobby outside the show, for a few pics:

NYCC-3.jpg

NYCC-5.jpg

NYCC-4.jpg

Then, on to the dealers' tables for a little shopping :banana:

First, I said hello to Ted at Superworld --- what a nice guy, and great selection! I grabbed this FF #48 and Eternals #2 30¢ variant from him:

NYCC-6.jpg

Pretty soon, I came upon Rich (Mr. Bedrock) and his lovely wife Shannon. Thanks again, guys, for the Space Ace! Also found this nice Marvel Premiere #15 there:

NYCC-9.jpg

Also ran into Brian (Foolkiller), who was the fearless organizer of the Saturday night forum dinner --- I really wish I could've made it :sorry:

NYCC-8.jpg

I also had fun meeting (L to R) Maria, Byron and Harry (Burntboy) at their TVComics booth --- you should all PM them, and ask them if they have any more light-sabres :roflmao: Got a great copy of Iron Man #1 from them:

NYCC-13.jpg

Of course, even the most patient 8-year-old can only hold Dad's checklist for so long while I flipped through all these great books. We also spent plenty of time checking out "kid's stuff", of which there was plenty. Jack had a blast, and lots of booths had very nice promos for the kids. After sating his need for refreshments and some toy-browsing, it was back to "business":

Had the great pleasure of meeting Jim Steranko for the first time --- one of my all-time favorites! He was a joy to chat with for a minute or two, and he signed these 2 posters for me. Funny thing is, after I introduced myself as "Doug, and this is my son, Jack", Jim promptly signed the pin-up to Jack lol --- I joked that he could hang it in his bedroom when he's 21. Asked to take Jim's picture, but he politely explained that his eyes are much too sensitive to the flash. In fact, he said he usually wore shaded lenses even when drawing comics as a young man. Here's a look at the posters:

NYCC-15.jpg

Chatted with the guys at Geppi's booth for a bit, which was fun. Here's a pic of some of that collection:

NYCC-12.jpg

A short while later, I noticed a ponytail busily bobbing above a stack of sweet raw books --- it was none other than Steve, hard at work pre-screening. First time we've met, and he was kind enough to pause for a moment to chat and take a pic:

NYCC-11.jpg

In a few areas, there were some truly amazing artists working on chalk-drawings. I was most impressed by this one:

NYCC-10.jpg

All in all, just a wonderful experience --- some nice additions to my collection, a fun day with the kid, and the chance to put faces to names :cloud9: I'm already looking forward to next year!

"That big long box in the sky" lol

Great report!

I've got two Iron Man Toon Tumblers coming to me from up there. Should be in transit now!

Those Steranko posters are cool too!

Looked like fun... thanks for the pics...

haven't been to a comiccon in... maybe 20 some years??

should try to get to Wizard World Philadelphia 2008...

20 some years is a long... time for a human...!!

Looked like fun... thanks for the pics...

haven't been to a comiccon in... maybe 20 some years...

should try to get to Wizard World Philadelphia 2008...

20 some years is a long... time for a human...!!

Long time for an Owl too!!! hm

Where's the pus... Ah, pretty girls in costume? :grin:

You'll have to check Issa's thread for those . . . lol

Maybe when Jack's a little older, I'll put him in charge of the camera. Then, I'll have an excuse for bringing home pics of scantily-clad con wenches!