• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was KrazyKat the high bidder in Gus' Action 1 auction?

89 posts in this topic

Flee, that is some top-notch detective work! (thumbs u

So who is "twilightboycat" who's selling all those stat covers?

hm I find it personally interesting that in one of our spirited online exchanges, KK once referred to me as a "photocopy buying person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point" because I had bid on and won some Stat Production Covers of Marvel's Greatest Comics.

Now I see him bidding on similar stat covers! lol:acclaim:

On topic with this thread -- it doesn't surprise me to see him bid on the Action 1. Whether or not he is a "real" bidder or whether he just did it to push up the price closer to the reserve would be interesting to know.

He commented recently that he was going to bid on an Action 1 in one of his posts. Can't remember which one I saw that in. And I don't remember if he was referring to Gus's or to Mr.Schomburg's.

KrazyKat and Bluechip -- a marriage made in heaven. :kidaround:

I was commenting to a friend this weekend that almost nothing gets by the collective knowledge and investigate abilities of the Forum. Great job, Flee. (thumbs u

I have no idea who "Krazy Kat" even is, except that I've seen him referred to in this board as a guy who pushes original art.

I also have no idea who those high bidders on the Action 1 were, except that I was told they were serious buyers.

I was also told one or more buyers were ready to hit the reserve and got frozen out when they tried to bid at the last minute and found they weren't pre-approved. The same was confirmed to me in personal conversations with buyers afterward.

As for us being the underbidder on that production art piece, yes we were. We also were the high bidder on a few other pieces from the same seller, and of course we're hoping he's legit and hope we see them arrive in the mail.

Now, if the high bidder on the piece we lost turns out to be someone who also bid on the pieces we won and never meant to buy any of them, that would be another story. And

Who is "we", Sybil?

How is it ya'll have not been banned yet?

"We" is my partners, who are not anyone you know.

As for being "banned" from this board, I don't make the rules here. So if the purpose of this board is to allow relentless suppositions and attacks on a person and to prevent him from defending himself, then I suppose I will be banned.

BTW, "we" does not include anybody you call Krazy Kat or any other fake IDs.

If this person you refer to is in some kind of business with the ebay bidder of the production stats, and we end up not getting the ones we paid for in the mail, then I will be as interested as any of you in finding out what and why.

I also have no idea who those high bidders on the Action 1 were, except that I was told they were serious buyers.

Why don't you ask Gus? He can see the names of every person who bid on it. Or have you asked and he won't tell you? If so, why wouldn't he tell you?

I have asked. But I haven't gotten any names except for those of people who were interested at that price but never actually bid for one reason or another.

Between Gus and Greg I have heard only that there were several serious bidders willing to go to or exceed the reserve. And I ended up speaking in person with a couple of people in that category, though I have asked about following up with the others and heard no more. Supposedly there were several people with whom additional business could be done, but I have heard no more.

I know whenever I've listed something of that calibre it gets an enormous amount of attention, and lots of inquiries. I was supposed to be hearing from more of those people regarding other books, but it hasn't happened yet.

As I've said before, our understanding was that everything had minimums on them and we were surprised to find there weren't but the main auction had gone on the homepage so we couldn't cancel it or any of the lesser books without people getting upset. In retrospect, I should have simply insisted in cancelling the lesser auctions and not had anybody here follow them in any way.

Ultimately, we let several rare books go for much less than we know it'd take to get them back again and we know we'll probably never see them at that price. But after letting a half dozen rare books for for cheap we saw the vitriol was still flying here and it has become clear that has been no help in anyway, so we've stopped and in retrospect I wouldn't do that with the first books, either.

I was also told one or more buyers were ready to hit the reserve and got frozen out when they tried to bid at the last minute and found they weren't pre-approved. The same was confirmed to me in personal conversations with buyers afterward.

Hi bluechip,

I don't recollect you ever answered this question. How were you able to get pre-approved to bid on your own auction and why did you retract your bids when it made no difference since you knew the reserve for the Action #1? Why did you change your ebay handle once you were outed for bidding on your own auction? (shrug)

I know whenever I've listed something of that calibre it gets an enormous amount of attention, and lots of inquiries.

If you knew this would get an enormous amount of attention, why wouldn't you watch the auction for inaccuracies? After all, this auction was for "the most famous and valuable comic of all". You stated that when the books appeared on ebay, neither you nor your partners had seen the listings and omissions were not noticed until they were pointed out here several days later. Yet within 2 hours from when the auction started, you or one of your partners started bidding on the auction with your id. Are you saying that you or one of your partners were placing multiple bids in this auction but not reading the auction descriptions?

I have no idea who "Krazy Kat" even is, except that I've seen him referred to in this board as a guy who pushes original art.

Sure you know - he's the high bidder on your Action 1.

(sorry, on your "not mine anymore" Action 1, which you shill-bid on, at a price level where you'd be happy to buy it back, but below the guarantee you were promised for it, which hasn't had anything done to it to improve the appearance, except of course adding in a centerfold which apparently takes away from the appearance and the other maybe stuff that's been done).

I didn't say I don't believe you if you say he was the high bidder on the action 1. I said I do not know who he is, or why he bid on the book if he wasn't going to buy it, which from what you say, he wasn't.

As for the rest, it's nobody's business what arrangements I have re the action 1 and whether I own it or am part of a company that owns it or whether I own it with other people. None of that is anybody's concern. I have been in this hobby/biz for decades and I cannot tell you how many times I have been offered things from one guiy that were really owned by him and three other people or were owned by three other people and he wasn't one of them.

As for the bids you leave out they were duly explained and apologized for numerous times despite being a tiny fraction of value. And they were removed. As for the way you and others keep pointing out that I said nothign had been done to improve its appearance, you keep twisting what I said and leaving out that what was said was that beyond what's been described, nothing been's done to the book that improves its appearance.

That is real easy to understand. And it allows anyone to think that what was done and described had improved its appearance. But I posted the scan of the book before Matt looked at it and in my view it doesn't look any better and in fact looks worse now than it did before. If someone wants to believe differently, and to think the rice paper makes it look far more beautiful, they are welcome to do so.

People can read what's been done, and they can read it says that beyond this nothing has been done. And it points out the marks being removed and rice paper made it look worse than it had before. You mention the centerfold which was also mentioned. But the real point is the "maybe other stuff that's been done," which is the supposition that keeps getting made without anything to back it up -- if you believe matt nelson's notes, which I posted on this very board. And before the auction ended I made a public request for people to contact me if there ws anything still that they felt was not revealed, along with an offer to let someone from this board be present at the sale. Nobody took me up on that, and nobody contacted me to say "I don't think this or that has been revealed." Now all that you keep doing is to imply other things have been done. What, exactly? Be specific. And be specific abnout why Matt would've missed it. While you're at it explain why if Matt's work is so fallible on the action 1 I listed, why do you not question his fallibility on the action 1 put up by a board member now at many times the price? As I can see that auction has been corrected to elaborate on some flaws, and the flaws seem worse now. Why don't you question whether something "else" might have been done to that? The guy who's got it up there hasn't had the book its entire life. And what is up with the color loss at the top. Somebody take windex to it or something?

I can't possibly read all the posts about these books but I don't see anyone attacking action1kid despite the fact that it seems to be completely accepted by all that --

what he did was sell a book that was "restored" and fail to disclose it until long after he sold it!

So, why no attack on him? Well, perhaps because he's a frequent poster on this board. And perhjaps because he sold it for a lower amount.

(to be fair, I;ll repeat that I didn't hold it against him that the book had marks some people might call resto because I knew the marks were there and because I didn't consider thjem resto myself)

But if you do, then why no outrage?

Let's be clear. That listing was never even corrected. The transaction went down and money changed hands and it was only yuears later that he said anything like the book was "restored" or the pages had any brittleness. Years later -- when I listed it for sale.

Now tjhetre's another book up on ebay by a frequent board poster which is also, according to most here, restored and graded by a company who's grades can't be trusted, yet it's listed as the "highest graded" copy. And it fails to list cleaning done to it. And it originally didn't include the info that a "small" stain was actually the size of a quarter.

Why no attacks on that listing? That book, which, by the way, costs a lot more than people here said my book was worth. In fact, you can take what people here tried to say mine was worth, take the minimum I wanted for it, and add those two figures together -- and the book currently up on ebay would still be a million dollars more.

A million dollars more.

For a book that, were it mine, you'd be saying it's a turd, restored, misleading (because, among other things, the listing says "it's the highest graded of its kind" and because it calls the stain removal "conservation") and you'd' be saying it's not really a 9.0 and that if the third party grader missed some resto who's to say they didn't miss more.

I know many of you guys won't be happy unless and until there are action 1s which can be gotten in trade for a 12 inch stack of easily sellable books (like modern slabbed 9.8s or high grade marvels which, much as I love em, just aren't rare).

Let me repeat. I REALLY do not have any idea who this Krazy Kat is, unless he is someone I talked to about the book afterward.

But that would be strange because nobody I talked to said they bid 94K on the book. One person supposedly said they were ready to bid 95K but that was said to someone else and not to me.

But if Krazy Kat is the one who bid I am as curious if not more curious than anyone to know why, especially if the bid was real and there was no followup

If someone does know who this person is and wants to tell him or her to message me, just do it, instead of insisting I do know who this is.

I don't.

Hi bluechip,

I don't recollect you ever answered this question. How were you able to get pre-approved to bid on your own auction and why did you retract your bids when it made no difference since you knew the reserve for the Action #1? Why did you change your ebay handle once you were outed for bidding on your own auction? (shrug)

I think I did answer these. The pre-approval thing apparently didn't occur until after my partner put in the lowball bids. He had only understood that the books didn't have the minimums we agreed upon. If you look at the bids you'll see he was tracking them and put in some bids and stopped when I told him to stop. I also emailed greg and asked him if we should remove them and he said by then it didn't matter because the bids were so much higher. But we still were concerned abouot the fact that so many books had no reserves and Greg said it didn't matter because he had talked with several people who were willing to bid so much higher. I spoke with him and emailed him several times saying if he wasn't positive about that we might have to pull some of the auctions, but he saiud he was so sure he'd make up the difference if one or a couple of them didn't make what we agreed. Since I couldn't pull them myself I just reminded him that he should make sure and pull them if need be. But nonetheless some of them didn't hit what we had agreed but people got the books anyway. Just how we worked that out is between ujs, but it certainly is not how I wanted to do it, and would never agree to terms like that again because it doesn't seem to work. As for why the name was changed, it's to reflect the company name. I wanted to list some things that night so they'd be consistent with the company name. In retrospect I should've waited til the following week. But anyone paying close attention can easily see that we copped to the bids, apologized and withdrew them well before doing the name change.

I don't have the time to watch these sales as closely as I have been. And I just don't like, generally, having to say some things over and over like the fact that the guide is low on this book (I'd just gone through a lot of time answering hundreds of emails from people asking to buy only the most undervalued books; probably two or three dozen inquiries just on archie 1 and pep 22 from people ready to pay guide or "even a little more." So, when this was first presented to me it sounded like it would be easier and allow me to be able to sell the books without having to spend the majority of my week dealing with it. As you know that turned out not to be the case.

bob, what about the actions that had no reserve, that Silver Age has told a few winners that the consignor (you) are refusing to sell for the final bid prices (shrug)

(sorry, on your "not mine anymore" Action 1, which you shill-bid on, at a price level where you'd be happy to buy it back, but below the guarantee you were promised for it, which hasn't had anything done to it to improve the appearance, except of course adding in a centerfold which apparently takes away from the appearance and the other maybe stuff that's been done).

I didn't say I don't believe you if you say he was the high bidder on the action 1. I said I do not know who he is, or why he bid on the book if he wasn't going to buy it, which from what you say, he wasn't.

As for the rest, it's nobody's business what arrangements I have re the action 1 and whether I own it or am part of a company that owns it or whether I own it with other people. None of that is anybody's concern. I have been in this hobby/biz for decades and I cannot tell you how many times I have been offered things from one guiy that were really owned by him and three other people or were owned by three other people and he wasn't one of them.

As for the bids you leave out they were duly explained and apologized for numerous times despite being a tiny fraction of value. And they were removed. As for the way you and others keep pointing out that I said nothign had been done to improve its appearance, you keep twisting what I said and leaving out that what was said was that beyond what's been described, nothing been's done to the book that improves its appearance.

That is real easy to understand. And it allows anyone to think that what was done and described had improved its appearance. But I posted the scan of the book before Matt looked at it and in my view it doesn't look any better and in fact looks worse now than it did before. If someone wants to believe differently, and to think the rice paper makes it look far more beautiful, they are welcome to do so.

People can read what's been done, and they can read it says that beyond this nothing has been done. And it points out the marks being removed and rice paper made it look worse than it had before. You mention the centerfold which was also mentioned. But the real point is the "maybe other stuff that's been done," which is the supposition that keeps getting made without anything to back it up -- if you believe matt nelson's notes, which I posted on this very board. And before the auction ended I made a public request for people to contact me if there ws anything still that they felt was not revealed, along with an offer to let someone from this board be present at the sale. Nobody took me up on that, and nobody contacted me to say "I don't think this or that has been revealed." Now all that you keep doing is to imply other things have been done. What, exactly? Be specific. And be specific abnout why Matt would've missed it. While you're at it explain why if Matt's work is so fallible on the action 1 I listed, why do you not question his fallibility on the action 1 put up by a board member now at many times the price? As I can see that auction has been corrected to elaborate on some flaws, and the flaws seem worse now. Why don't you question whether something "else" might have been done to that? The guy who's got it up there hasn't had the book its entire life. And what is up with the color loss at the top. Somebody take windex to it or something?

I can't possibly read all the posts about these books but I don't see anyone attacking action1kid despite the fact that it seems to be completely accepted by all that --

what he did was sell a book that was "restored" and fail to disclose it until long after he sold it!

So, why no attack on him? Well, perhaps because he's a frequent poster on this board. And perhjaps because he sold it for a lower amount.

(to be fair, I;ll repeat that I didn't hold it against him that the book had marks some people might call resto because I knew the marks were there and because I didn't consider thjem resto myself)

Let's be clear. That listing was never even corrected. The transaction went down and money changed hands and it was only yuears later that he said anything like the book was "restored" or the pages had any brittleness. Years later -- when I listed it for sale.

Now tjhetre's another book up on ebay by a frequent board poster which is also, according to most here, restored and graded by a company who's grades can't be trusted, yet it's listed as the "highest graded" copy. And it fails to list cleaning done to it. And it originally didn't include the info that a "small" stain was actually the size of a quarter.

Why no attacks on that listing? That book, which, by the way, costs a lot more than people here said my book was worth. In fact, you can take what people here tried to say mine was worth, take the minimum I wanted for it, and add those two figures together -- and the book currently up on ebay would still be a million dollars more.

A million dollars more.

For a book that, were it mine, you'd be saying it's a turd, restored, misleading (because, among other things, the listing says "it's the highest graded of its kind" and because it calls the stain removal "conservation") and you'd' be saying it's not really a 9.0 and that if the third party grader missed some resto who's to say they didn't miss more.

I know many of you guys won't be happy unless and until there are action 1s which can be gotten in trade for a 12 inch stack of easily sellable books (like modern slabbed 9.8s or high grade marvels which, much as I love em, just aren't rare).

Let me repeat. I REALLY do not have any idea who this Krazy Kat is, unless he is someone I talked to about the book afterward.

But that would be strange because nobody I talked to said they bid 94K on the book. One person supposedly said they were ready to bid 95K but that was said to someone else and not to me.

But if Krazy Kat is the one who bid I am as curious if not more curious than anyone to know why, especially if the bid was real and there was no followup

If someone does know who this person is and wants to tell him or her to message me, just do it, instead of insisting I do know who this is.

I don't.

:shy:

A million dollars more.

I don't.

I think the honest answer your questions is that those other frequent board posters are not whacko. You obviously are.

bob, what about the actions that had no reserve, that Silver Age has told a few winners that the consignor (you) are refusing to sell for the final bid prices (shrug)

Some were going to go no matter what because of our arrangements.

But aside from those there were some that were just below what I'd been told was the minimum, and that any difference would be made up. So, there's only a couple that I think haven't been sent but it should not be characterized as us refusing to let them go because Greg at Silver age could, as he said, make up the difference. But I didn't expect him to do that when he said, let alone when the bids didn't make what he assured. That's why I kept telling him the auctions should be closed if it was clear that's what was going to happen and he wasn't really going to make up the difference (which as I said I never really expected)

Afterwards, I couldn't get Greg on the phone so I ended up talkiing with Gus, who was concerned about maintaining good will with his clients. I agreed that was a good idea all around, for him and for me and my partners, and we moved downward from the guarantees on a number of books, but as the name calling continued and I got wind of concerted efforts to kill any sale of the action 1 we had to conclude that selling the lesser actions at a loss didn't seem like it was helping so at a point we just had to say no we aren't taking four figures for book x less than we'd been guaranteed. Gus understood and we continued trying to work things out. But I realized I have been spending more time on trying to knock prices down from what I'd agreed than I'd ever meant to spend on the entire auction and still I am hearing that the action 1 is being described as from five different copies or made with xeroxes and god knows what else -- after all the mea culpas and so on to hear all that was still going on and that all sorts of names and accusations were flying, and to hear that an action 1 was up at a million more with its own problems and attackability ("the highest graded of its kind" etc.), yet we hjear people were letting that slide with cheers and attaboys while making an effort to kill our sale or any sale we propose no matter how well informed the buyers were -- then you gotta say what good's it doing us to take an even bigger price hit than we're taking? But the last one I heard that went below our guarantee I said we'd take less (and not make Gus take less) 'cause I knew the buyer; he was somebody I knew and I bet I could have that particular book to him for more without ever going through silverage or ebay, but we let it go anyway and didn't expect Gus to make up the difference.

Anyway, I was told by a stealth boardie that the hounds were released because of the posted slabbed Action 1s implying some lack of consistency.

But how can real pix be considered such an affront? If they're a genuine representative sample, which these are. And isn't it better to have them used in a reply here than to be put in a listing on ebay as a defense of grade?