• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fallen GA Keys of yesteryear........
2 2

137 posts in this topic

New York World's Fair 1940 and 1939 (although to a lesser degree)

Indeed, these books have LOST value in the OS over the last two years. :(

I never could understand why on both those two books and also the World's Finest run. They were always great reads, sported art that was contemporary at the time, had good covers.

Any one have any idea's why these titles are dead?

Is it similar to why Adventure Comics have come to a stand still? I know that GA and keys still move but for a SA book that was white hot it stopped dead in it's tracks some time in the 80's.

Any similarity between the slow down in these two?

R.

But I'd be happy to reunite you with the Fighting Yank #1! :grin:

Thanks, but I got one. BTW, notice how they each have nicks, or machine grabs, on the top left? Very interesting hm

Thanks, but I got one. BTW, notice how they each have nicks, or machine grabs, on the top left? Very interesting hm

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if CGC down graded for those not realizing they are likely part of the manufacturing process. hm

Dang, Mark. That's a beaut! (thumbs u

(You wanna sell it?)

This baby went into my own personal collection. :cloud9:

I don't know Mark - maybe you should sell it now and then you can buy it back in a few years when the price drops more.

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if CGC down graded for those not realizing they are likely part of the manufacturing process. hm

Either way it's a flaw - I've never really understood the leniency towards bindry problems - corner chips, production creases, page tears and the like - if the structural integrity of the book has been compromised what does it matter where it happened?

New York World's Fair 1940 and 1939 (although to a lesser degree)

Indeed, these books have LOST value in the OS over the last two years. :(

I never could understand why on both those two books and also the World's Finest run. They were always great reads, sported art that was contemporary at the time, had good covers.

Any one have any idea's why these titles are dead?

Is it similar to why Adventure Comics have come to a stand still? I know that GA and keys still move but for a SA book that was white hot it stopped dead in it's tracks some time in the 80's.

Any similarity between the slow down in these two?

R.

There was a thread sometime in the last year (maybe in General?) speculating on why WF was in the doldrums. I believe the board consensus was the lack of keys or first appearances (the Scarecrow aside) hurt the collectibility of the run.

(Actually, it was a Silver Age thread)

And I'm not sure which period of Adventure Comics you're referring to, but assuming it is the Legion issues, I'd venture a guess that in all the post-Crisis re-vamping and re-re-vamping (and re-re-re...) of Legion continuity, the franchise became a niche area, rather than one of broad interest to mainstream DC collectors. And even within that niche there would be a pretty strong disconnect between the current version of the characters and their vintage comics counterparts.

Edited by Zonker

I think they downgraded because of the Fighting Yank's lipstick.

I'd say another thing that limits interest in GA World's Finest books is the lack of "classic" covers.

When I here the title I always envision silly covers with Bats & Supes growing a victory garden or joining a circus parade (I have no idea if the latter actually exists - but something like it does I'm sure) - If anything WF got even sillier in the mid 60's. Conceptually the team-up concept suffered from the disparity of powers between Supes and Bats as writers struggled to come up with rationals for Superman needing Batman's help doing anything.

When it comes to silly DC GA covers - this was a problem for all the Superman and Batman related titles in the second half of the 1940s - the covers pretty much screamed - "It's all a big goof - we don't take these characters seriously and neither should you"

I agree that the covers are a problem. Is there a single Golden Age issue of WF that has a villain on the cover? I do like the 6 or 7 WW2 covers, but none of those are battle covers. The vast majority are homefront covers, encouraging paper drives, victory gardens, and war bonds.

I'd say another thing that limits interest in GA World's Finest books is the lack of "classic" covers.

When I here the title I always envision silly covers with Bats & Supes growing a victory garden or joining a circus parade (I have no idea if the latter actually exists - but something like it does I'm sure) - If anything WF got even sillier in the mid 60's. Conceptually the team-up concept suffered from the disparity of powers between Supes and Bats as writers struggled to come up with rationals for Superman needing Batman's help doing anything.

When it comes to silly DC GA covers - this was a problem for all the Superman and Batman related titles in the second half of the 1940s - the covers pretty much screamed - "It's all a big goof - we don't take these characters seriously and neither should you"

Since a lot of companies were turning to teen humor and romance, DC may have been influenced by that.

Bottom feeders like me love buying those square bound World's Finests that are easy to find in low grade. I get them when I can for the S&K Boy Commandos. In fact, one of my "biggest" books is my New York World's Fair 1940, which I picked up very cheap. I bought it from Graham Crackers, and Jamie even mentioned how few buyers there were interested in it.

The early Batman stories in World's Finest are pretty good. But I feel that comics have gotten so expensive for most people that WF always comes last for Superman and Batman collectors. They'll finish at least the Action/Superman or Batman/Detective pairing before they turn to WF. I'm talking about completists with normal incomes and typical buying budgets.

I also feel that a lot of the Batman fans like me don't particularly care for Batman with Superman. So if one doesn't really feel the love for WF 71-up, then it's a bit hard to get excited about 1-70 as well. (I used to have WF 7-10 in my collection and sold them well before I sold my Batmans and Detectives when I was in college.)

Marc

Were these WF books heavily read as kids saw them on the newstands? Is that one reason why there are tough in hi grade?

I think there are two factors involved in their collectibility but wanted to know the answer to the first before I got into the second.

R.

DC superhero covers of the late 40's are mostly sad. Take a look at Flash Comics as well.

Even though the Famous Funnies and Funnies on Parade are reprints, it's hard to believe the demand is so small considering their historical significance. I would like to have one one day.

Silver Age, Golden Age. The ultimate wasted money comic of the mid 80's was: If the Devil Would Talk.

There has to be a conspiracy behind that book which was once ranked in the top 5 Silver Age books.

I don't think those were high-priced books to begin with but I sold a Young Romance #1 raw FN- for $400.

Both Young Romance #1 and Young Love #1 are above Guide books (thumbs u

On 4/28/2008 at 8:11 PM, ciorac said:

Go back a few years and remember when the Mile High Whiz 2(1) sold for nearly $200K? I do. I held the book in my hands, and it was stunning.

Below is a picture of John Snyder holding it in his office. I took this photo.

Scan0033-1.jpg

Sometimes I forget how legendary some of our members are, and then I see a post like this when searching.  

It might be time for some of you guys to tell some of your old stories again.  

Tell us about this day week ciorac!