• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fallen GA Keys of yesteryear........
2 2

137 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:
On 4/28/2008 at 11:11 PM, ciorac said:

Go back a few years and remember when the Mile High Whiz 2(1) sold for nearly $200K? I do. I held the book in my hands, and it was stunning.

Below is a picture of John Snyder holding it in his office. I took this photo.

Scan0033-1.jpg

Sometimes I forget how legendary some of our members are, and then I see a post like this when searching.  

It might be time for some of you guys to tell some of your old stories again.  

Tell us about this day week ciorac!  

The older you get, the more likely you are to forget how many times you've already told the same story.  Just ask my wife! 

On 4/26/2008 at 10:39 AM, markseifert said:
ArAich said:
but Boy Commandos #1 What was up with that?

Simon and Kirby...they were all the rage back then...

Yeah, a lot of books on the list are S&K, I wondered if that explained some of it also... although there are plenty of other DC keys he could have listed as well if so.

Certainly my recollection is that S&K were easily the most popular GA artists in the 1960s.  Given that early SA Marvel is what got modern fandom rolling and given Kirby's role in SA Marvel, it's not surprising that fans would seek out his GA work.  Most of S&K's work, apart from their issues of CA, hasn't worn well with their books featuring kid groups really falling down the rabbit hole.

On 4/29/2008 at 0:44 PM, nearmint said:

There's no doubt that the Golden Age market is cover driven. Suspense #3 being the prime example of a book that is far more impressive on the outside than it is on the inside, but commands bags of money.

I was just reading that the scarcity index on this book is a 9 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I was watching a copy of Feature Book 26, Hal Foster's bygone Prince Valiant mega key. I lost track of time and the auction ended with no bids. 

Item passed at $19.99. I think I spent almost $200 when I bought mine.

Holy mackerel!  What condition was it in?

11 minutes ago, jgallo said:

What about Worlds Best 1 and both of the Worlds Fair books.

dead on all accounts.

whiz 1 and as 3 seem to be making a come back

James G

Were those higher up in Overstreet's Top 100 GA??   #1 is still #80 so it can't be too dead.  It says 29k.

Edited by Knightsofold

One that was mentioned as not holding its value was Animal Comics #1... which, fair enough.  Still glad I've got my copy.

What I really don't understand is how Fairy Tale Parade #1 jumped to about 150% of Animal Comics.  Surely those of us who are still care about Walt Kelly... and there are still a few of us... would value the first Pogo over an admittedly beautiful but historically incidental book.  I've got both, but I sure know which one I would part with sooner; and it's not the FTP.

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

One that was mentioned as not holding its value was Animal Comics #1... which, fair enough.  Still glad I've got my copy.

What I really don't understand is how Fairy Tale Parade #1 jumped to about 150% of Animal Comics.  Surely those of us who are still care about Walt Kelly... and there are still a few of us... would value the first Pogo over an admittedly beautiful but historically incidental book.  I've got both, but I sure know which one I would part with sooner; and it's not the FTP.

I pick up Animal Comics, Pogo and Our Gangs at shows in nice reading shape for between $25-60. depending on the issue. I love dead comics series; especially when they are great comics. WDCS and Donald Duck Four Color in decent shape are bargains too. 

Yellow Kid is always quick to remind me of how the early modern giants of the hobby like the Prince Valiant above and Tarzan have fallen.

Other great books that can be had for a song are some of the great strip reprint books like Little Orphan Annie and D*ck Tracy; though DT is showing some life lately which is surprising.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:55 AM, OtherEric said:

I think it's another example of how cover-centric the hobby has become.  I think FTP 1 just has a more interesting cover than Animal Comics 1, and these days that counts for a heck of a lot.

On 09/07/2017 at 8:43 PM, pemart1966 said:

The buying ad on page 1 of this thread mentions "Marvel Mystery Comics 1 Labeled Number 2".  Does this actually exist?? 

Marvel Comics #1 is the true number 1 for the run.  "Mystery" was added to the title name from issue #2 to drum up more sales from pulp buyers.

Leo was just using a marketing ploy to charge more for #2.