• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fallen GA Keys of yesteryear........
2 2

137 posts in this topic

The pre-Golden Age milestone books like Carnival of Comics have a fairly limited audience I imagine. While there will always be some interest from historically minded collectors - the superhero books (even with more obscure heroes) remain the focus of most big dollar book hunters - the obvious exception being pre-hero DC books - but even there it is probably the later "heroic" incarnations of these titles which drive interest in the earlier books. How much interest in early More Fun books would there be if the title had remained a humor/adventure book until its demise?

I think we are in the process of classic covers eclipsing minor keys - and eventually the guide will reflect that. A prime example - even though it guides for more - would an AA #25 (1st Hourman) really sell for more than an AA #61 in the same condition?

Don't you mean Dr. Midnite?

Yes, yes - I meant Dr. Midnite - mixed up my lesser DC characters momentarily doh! - although Hourman was at least briefly a cover feature in Adventure. So any thoughts on that comparison or is everybody just going to point out my error meh

Yes, yes - I meant Dr. Midnite - mixed up my lesser DC characters momentarily doh! - although Hourman was at least briefly a cover feature in Adventure. So any thoughts on that comparison or is everybody just going to point out my error meh

There's no doubt that the Golden Age market is cover driven. Suspense #3 being the prime example of a book that is far more impressive on the outside than it is on the inside, but commands bags of money.

I'll chime in with Funnies 57 / Captain Midnight 1. There was a time where these early radio tie-ins were a much bigger deal. I believe Funnies 57 used to make Overstreet's top 20 GA book list.

I'll chime in with Funnies 57 / Captain Midnight 1. There was a time where these early radio tie-ins were a much bigger deal. I believe Funnies 57 used to make Overstreet's top 20 GA book list.

I don't think Funnies 57 was ever a top 200 book, let alone top 20.

I think we are in the process of classic covers eclipsing minor keys - and eventually the guide will reflect that. A prime example - even though it guides for more - would an AA #25 (1st Dr.Midnite) really sell for more than an AA #61 in the same condition?

Not surprisingly, I believe you are quite correct in stating the marketplace's movement to the classic covers over the minor keys. (thumbs u

AA #61 is a book that has always been able to sell for a premium to guide in all condition grades across the board. I don't think you would be able to say the same thing for the AA #25.

Just looking at the Heritage archives shows the only AA #25 in restored 8.0 (MP) selling at $1,150 or only 22% of condition guide value back in 2002. Yet the AA #61 also in restored 8.0 (SP) was able to hit $2,500 and acheive over 84% of condition guide value in 2007. hm

Ya know Steve...I just thought of a book that does not seem to have the deman it used to...

The "Atom Bomb" premium...(cheerios I think) used to be one of the hottest items going back in the late seventees...I remember this "book" being talked about quite frequently and demand was very high...

Lately it seems to go for pretty good $$$ but it just doesn't seem to have the same luster as it used too...

I think we are in the process of classic covers eclipsing minor keys - and eventually the guide will reflect that. A prime example - even though it guides for more - would an AA #25 (1st Dr.Midnite) really sell for more than an AA #61 in the same condition?

This is exactly the trend I've observed with all the Disney titles and I'd expect it to continue. 10 years from now, I suspect NM copies of books with glossy covers (no giveaways), strong colors, and not least the very best cover artwork will sell for many multiples of similiar books with mediocre cover art.

My one cautionary disclaimer is how scarily dependent the trend is on one single company. If CGC were to shut down at some point, I think it is most likely that the market for slabbed books would implode very quickly. The whole argument for the trend essentially boils down to Steve Borock's integrity - without that we'd be left with PGX and PGX wannabees. It surprises me how few collectors talk about how vulnerable the current market for certified books is.

The "Atom Bomb" premium...(cheerios I think) used to be one of the hottest items going back in the late seventees...I remember this "book" being talked about quite frequently and demand was very high...

Lately it seems to go for pretty good $$$ but it just doesn't seem to have the same luster as it used too...

This is an example of a book that is too easy to trim without detection. I would never touch a high grade copy whether it was certified or not. Board member arty already proved how one gentleman in Eugene, Oregon, has been trimming the book and selling it in unrestored PGX holders. Sadly, this is no longer a book I'd ever consider buying and I am warning every Disney collector I know against it.

My one cautionary disclaimer is how scarily dependent the trend is on one single company. If CGC were to shut down at some point, I think it is most likely that the market for slabbed books would implode very quickly. ..

...The whole argument for the trend essentially boils down to Steve Borock's integrity - without that we'd be left with PGX and PGX wannabees. It surprises me how few collectors talk about how vulnerable the current market for certified books is.

Two really good points there. (I'd separate it into two points, where I divided it.) Each is very interesting to think about.

As for the first, I'd imagine that a new company would form pretty quickly if CGC shut down. It would probably be a different company, smaller, a bit less ambitious?

The Fighting Yank is kind of a lame character. In the last two years I sold the Pennsylvania FY #1 (8.5) for less than guide and bought the Mile High copy for less than 1.5X guide. If the equivalent Black Terror #1s were available, they would sell for substantially more.

Now I can post a pretty picture...

fightingyank1.jpg

:(:(:(

FightingYank1.jpg

Is Famous Funnies A Carnival of Comics GA? If so, how has it performed over the years?

Like other early strip reprint books from the origins of the modern comic book period, it has not done very well to say the least.

A quick look at the OS guide shows that top of guide is now at $13,000 versus $12,000 back in 2004. Anything below this, however, does not look very good. For example, in VF condition, the book has actually gone down from $5,480 in 2004 to only $4,800 in 2008.

The picture does not look any better going forward, as it appears to be tough for this book to even acheive guide, as based upon recent Heritage auctions over the past few years.

Good thing I plan on keeping my copy for years to come!!! ;)

FamousFunnies.jpg