• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this board an accurate reflection of the hobby?

92 posts in this topic

I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

That's because they can't be bothered; such books are beneath their contempt. Some HG collectors here have even likened them to TOILET PAPER! :grin:

Well I did sit on your AA naked before I mailed it out.

R.

:sick:

Next time can Louise do it instead?

^^

This is a good source for high grade books, there's no doubt that many people on this board have great books that from time to time they either sell or show off to the rest of us. Personally, if it wasn't displayed on the board I might never have seen a copy of it in my life, so I am grateful for the fellow boardies that share and show off their treasures. Generally, it's also a great place to learn from each other and to hone your own skills in grading, restoration, and all the other topics in the hobby.

There are different collectors out there - some will upgrade their existing copies of book, others are completists, and others are niche players. I think this is the real beauty of this community - the diversity, knowledge and sharing that occurs.

-claudio

As far as being an accurate reflection of the hobby, these boards are kind of like the weird Uncle that shows up to every family get together, even though no one remembers inviting him. :insane:

Seriously, this place is a great resource for knowledge on just about every aspect of comic book collecting. Stay true to your own collecting goals and you will be fine. There are a lot of really great, very generous people here and that's why I love it so much.

It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists.

That's pretty well who's here, along with the real whackos who spend insane amounts of money on CGC 9.6-9.8 copies, and then justify the purchases by incessantly posting scans at the drop of a hat.

"Oh, you sound like a guy with an IRON head - check out this CGC 9.8 copy of Iron Man 118!!".

"So, you like eating at SUBway? That reminds me of the killer CGC 9.8 copy of Sub-Mariner 8 that I bought awahile back..."

doh!

You like hats? The guys in the armored car on this cover are wearing hats.

action33.jpg

Hi everyone...

As I've mentioned in just about every post I've made, I'm a recent returnee to comic collecting. My collecting goals are fairly modest compared to what I've read about here, I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal). I don't mind if my 45 year old comics look like 45 year old comics.

Anyway, this is my point: this is the only comic board that I read and I wonder if it's giving me a skewed perception of the hobby. It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists.

I'm not buying to invest, but I do wish to buy wisely, and it kind of feels like I'm not doing it right.

I sometimes feel like a beer drinker at a wine tasting.

Well, the Top 10 SA Marvel keys will be your best bet if you're looking at making smart collecting purchases. These suckers do continue to rise, and if you're looking at the AF 15/ASM 1 books, you'll see the Fair Market Values are WELL above the OS guide values.

This place can give a bit of a skewed view on the hobby as a whole. As previously mentioned, there is certainly a large number of us low-to-mid grade collectors out there. If you keep this in mind, however, there's a lot of great info you can learn.

Comic Collectors' Cliche #1: Buy what you like, not for an investment and you can't go wrong. This doesn't mean you can't be an informed buyer, but the focus should be primarily on picking out books you will enjoy first.

And talk to some avid beer drinkers: we can be just as enthusistic about the complexities of the hundreds of types of beer out there! ;)

I rarely see HG collectors making condascending posts about low-mid grade books and those that collect them...

That's because they can't be bothered; such books are beneath their contempt. Some HG collectors here have even likened them to TOILET PAPER! :grin:

R.

:roflmao:

Hi everyone...

As I've mentioned in just about every post I've made, I'm a recent returnee to comic collecting. My collecting goals are fairly modest compared to what I've read about here, I'm mainly interested in affordable copies of the top ten or so SA Marvel keys, the stuff I could never have as a kid. My price point is in the $700-$1700 range (although that could be stretched for the right deal). I don't mind if my 45 year old comics look like 45 year old comics.

Anyway, this is my point: this is the only comic board that I read and I wonder if it's giving me a skewed perception of the hobby. It seems like the majority of the people who post are HG elitists.

I'm not buying to invest, but I do wish to buy wisely, and it kind of feels like I'm not doing it right.

I sometimes feel like a beer drinker at a wine tasting.

Well, the Top 10 SA Marvel keys will be your best bet if you're looking at making smart collecting purchases. These suckers do continue to rise, and if you're looking at the AF 15/ASM 1 books, you'll see the Fair Market Values are WELL above the OS guide values.

This place can give a bit of a skewed view on the hobby as a whole. As previously mentioned, there is certainly a large number of us low-to-mid grade collectors out there. If you keep this in mind, however, there's a lot of great info you can learn.

Comic Collectors' Cliche #1: Buy what you like, not for an investment and you can't go wrong. This doesn't mean you can't be an informed buyer, but the focus should be primarily on picking out books you will enjoy first.

And talk to some avid beer drinkers: we can be just as enthusistic about the complexities of the hundreds of types of beer out there! ;)

Did somebody say beer! :o

I do feel that you can find all kinds of collectors here, high and low grade. It's just that the high grade collectors are more vocal.

I have seen some HG collectors put down other people's lower grade books, but I won't name any names, Greggy. :blush:

:jokealert:

why would they? low grade collectors have no affect on the prices paid by the HG collectors.

but when someone pays way over guide for an ubber HG copper book that isn't even a key it trickles down and affects pricing for every grade of the same book.

It sounds like you've got the right idea Mackenzie999, buy what you want at what you can afford. I do the same thing, although I admit I try to dabble in the HG stuff. I'm pretty small potatoes to a lot of folks here.

I think these boards are a good cross-section of the hobby in general. There are some here that buy and sell books on these boards that I can only dream about. Others have helped me with getting very low-end books like the Baltimore Comic-con program with a Mignola cover. It's not a fancy book by any stretch, by I'm a Hellboy fan and they helped me out! I have also put together the vast majority of the run of Fear Agent on here for at or below cover on most copies. My first purchase was Space Adventures (1st Captain Atom) in CGC 6.5, so I'm hardly a HG snob.

Sorry....I drifted.....

This place is like my LCS, there are all kinds here. Some will only buy GA, some only buy specific characters or titles (or multiples of the same issue) and some will buy anything that looks interesting to them. I fall into the last category.

I also have to credit this board with re-energizing my love for the hobby. I'll always be looking for some books, but folks like JonJesper, Pirate, Par2ch, and Issa have really, really brought me back into the fold and made the hobby fun again.

R.

Eww, gross... peter tracks and skid marks. :sick:

I WISH I could dump 700-1700 on some sweet comics !!! My grail is generally a 1,000.00 book. I COULD sell off a few other books I have, but wont yet.

As far as collectors you have the entire spectrum of collectors from GA-Modern. From the Lowest Of The Low Grade to the 9.8-10.0 collector. At any given time there is someone signed on with the exact collecting mindset as what you described. Me personally , I like VF or better in my SA, and NM for bronze through. There are of course exceptions (you dont wanna see my avengers 4), but for the most part I constantly upgrade. As far as resale, nice copies sell better. There is nothing wrong with low grade. And something you always here is collect what you like. But damn.... Read Them !

So yes, this board does reflect quite well the comic collecting community. Although alot of these guys are NUTS !

Oh and as Medicar stated the hoarders will BLOW your mind. Check out cals IMSM collection sometime, he IS the reason HG copies are hard to find.

R.

Eww, gross... peter tracks and skid marks. :sick:

AmazingAdventures65_5-1.jpg

I think these boards seem to be a wide cross section of the comic book collecting community. Some HG, some LG, some GA collectors just trying to find any copy.

From my perspective, as long as you really have a true love for the books, the characters, and most important, the hobby in general.... you are OK with me

(thumbs u

Is this true? The copies of FF1, AF15, etc, that fall into my price range are obviously lower-end. Again, I'm not buying to invest, but since my collection will only total about ten books once complete, I imagine after a while I'll be in upgrade mode. If I buy a $1500 Hulk 1 today, am I likely to take a hit on it later when I'm ready for a better copy?

If you love early Marvel, you must treat yourself to more than 10 books.

Mackenzie999:

Personally, I think the most I've ever spent on a single comic book is around $500.... so your price range of $700-$1700 seems pretty decent to me...

We get all kinds here.

Quality vs Quantity collectors

Quantity vs Quality collectors

People who just like to read comics. :o

We get all kinds here.

Quality vs Quantity collectors

Quantity vs Quality collectors

People who just like to read comics... Are the luckiest people in the world. <3

Fixed. :luhv:

That would be hard answer. However, this board does not contain are true varied sample of all the types that make up our collecting hobby. I believe it to be skewed to one end of the spectrum.