• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best comic investment decision you ever made?

70 posts in this topic

Even if you just collect for fun, making what turned out to be a great investment in the long run can be an unintended result of comic collecting. So what is the best decision you made, either on a single issue, a run, an era, or a collecting philosophy.

(note - saying you bought a comic for 12 cents off the news stand and kept it all these years does not count)

Examples might be:

I bought my high grade ASM run before prices got too high

I bought 10 copies of Green Lantern #76 in the 1980s

I bought all the Neal Adams covers over 20 years ago

I bought Pedigree comics

I started bagging and boarding my comics before everyone else started doing this

I cherry picked high grade silver comics at comic shows for 20 years

etc.

Feel free to show some nice examples of what turned out to be great investments.

The wife and I invested in a sweet copy of Amaz. Fant 15 six years ago.

Which CGC graded and I sold for a sweet ammount that would clear out all our debt and pave the way for our daughter.

Hence the CGC baby!

Bought Amazing Spider-Man #50 from a kid in 6th grade (1980) for $5.

Unfortunately sold it (at a tidy profit) in college :(

Also bought ASM #1 back in '90 for $800 and sold it for $1700 in '01. Of course that could be considered a bad decision since the price has spiked so much lately, but needed the money, so $900 profit wasn't too bad at the time.

Would love to have both of those back!

Back in the 70's I traded a kid five joints for a gorgeous ASM #7.

(I was a kid too, wasn't corrupting a minor!)

Ah, the temporal pleasures of the THC high versus the tangibility of an early Spidey--poor kid. :think: He must've been taking jones to another level.

X-Force #1 !!!!

I bought a bag of comics from the paper boy when I was 11 5 bucks got me my VF/NM ASM 300, and about 100 other comics. I bought 2 long boxes of comics from a shop that closed down, and still have a few. I sold various books some UXM and ASM's to dealers and bought ASM 252 for $20.00 which is still in my collection and an easy NM+. Now being as I have about 15 copies of about 8 issues of these 2 titles from the early copper I may submit them and end up with a few 9.8's . Which would make my $12.00 well spent.

these were all purchases before being 13 years old.

I never bought a comic thinking "I'll make money off of this some day."

Agreed. The best comic investment decision I ever made was realizing very early on that (with a few exceptions) comics were not a wise choice for investment purposes.

2c

Now if this question were about Beanie Babies, then I'd have to say either Valentino or Squealer. :insane:

I never bought a comic thinking "I'll make money off of this some day."

I did preface the question by saying "even if you only collect for fun". Sometimes making a great investment is a by-product of the collecting.

when going to shows in the 80s i would be buying books from teh 60s and 70s (as nice as i could afford)....most kids my age were buying new stuff or in the early 90s the crapola that emerged.

next best decision was selling my asm cgc run a few years back.

Best investment... would probably be a tie between my Avengers #4 and Amazing Spider-Man #1. I bought the Avengers #4 for a steal of a deal, and while I was sad to let it go, it help me afford my ASM #1. While I tell family that the ASM #1's value continues to rise even in with its low, low grade, I find it's "buzz" factor still kills me every time I take it down off the top of my book shelf. I don't think I could have picked a better book unless it was an AF 15.

Popped a freshly listed BIN on a full run of Ms Marvel in "NM" condition for the hefty sum of $10 plus $5 shipping.

Sent the #18 to CGC.

Put the run (sans #18) back on eBay and sold them for $25 plus shipping.

Get the CGC package, and the #18 was the first 9.8 on the census.

Sold the #18 in the CGC 9.8 slab for $1,300.

:cloud9:

But that was years ago. Never had anything remotely as lucky as this since.

And probably never will.

:(

My best investment was buying a run of the 300 Mini Series #1-5 just weeks before the movie was announced. GA Collectibles lost out HUGE on that one!

:banana:

Actually, I don't know what you mean by investments. Do you guys mean long term, thought out investments or just "luck of the draw" buys?

For short term I bought a stash of Secret Wars #8 a few years ago. There were 10 total. I sent the books in to get graded 5 at a time. the first 5 got damaged during shipping and they graded 9.0/9.2/9.4/9.6. So I tried the second batch. They graded 9.6, 9.8, 9.8 and two unbelieveable 9.9's!!

:applause:

I sold both 9.9's for about $1200 each.

I should have waited for the venom movie.

lol

Just imagine if the first 5 didn't get damaged.

R.