• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,464 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2024 at 9:48 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

I know it has to be some sort of profit for them to reprint the entire run but I'm honestly surprised they didn't give it up by now. Kudos to them for sticking with it! 

Other than the book of Carol, are there any other series that are still going? Is Daryl done-done with his spin-off (outside of the Carol appearances he'll be making)? I am behind on my spin-off viewing so no spoilers plz but I was hoping the Daryl series would be it until a someday reboot. Milking the long dry cow on this is enough and I'd love it if AMC would sell off the rights to someone with bigger plans for the franchise. I know that probably won't happen but for a series that was once so popular that it had cons dedicated to just it happening all over the country to what it is now is just sad to me...so much more could be done with it if the right person/company got control of it. (gets off soapbox)

Take courage. Without a voice, the peace of mind from the hobby would lose encouragement.

On 9/24/2024 at 9:48 AM, Sensei Ryan said:

I know it has to be some sort of profit for them to reprint the entire run but I'm honestly surprised they didn't give it up by now. Kudos to them for sticking with it! 

Other than the book of Carol, are there any other series that are still going? Is Daryl done-done with his spin-off (outside of the Carol appearances he'll be making)? I am behind on my spin-off viewing so no spoilers plz but I was hoping the Daryl series would be it until a someday reboot. Milking the long dry cow on this is enough and I'd love it if AMC would sell off the rights to someone with bigger plans for the franchise. I know that probably won't happen but for a series that was once so popular that it had cons dedicated to just it happening all over the country to what it is now is just sad to me...so much more could be done with it if the right person/company got control of it. (gets off soapbox)

I am also surprised they didn't quit on this run either. I think they may have learned their lesson from the Walking Dead Weekly which was in color. I can't recall at what issue they had stopped, but I remember that aggravating fans at the time when they stopped releasing those leaving those collecting that run stuck with no more books in the run. I have faith and hope that this gets completed now as they only have 96 issues left I think.

Yup, so there is the Negan and Maggie show that is on going called Dead City which will have season 2 release in 2025. The Rick and Michonne limited series The Ones Who Live finished. I think they will probably run with Dead City and Daryl Dixon for a season or two, what I feel like is that there will be some kind of limited reunion show where they pickup with a Season 12. This is Hollywood and I expect no less at this point.

I do think that this franchise could use a nice reboot. Kirkman has talked about in the past year that he would love to do an animated adaptation of the actual comic book series. He was not fully happy with what AMC has done with the source material.

On 9/24/2024 at 12:54 PM, captainzombie said:

I do think that this franchise could use a nice reboot. Kirkman has talked about in the past year that he would love to do an animated adaptation of the actual comic book series. He was not fully happy with what AMC has done with the source material.

I've talked with other boardies and friends on here at length in the past about how much $ could be made if and only if this series were to run/be rebooted on a different network. I mean, just imagine the savagery of Game of Thrones level viewing infused into a tv series of The Walking Dead on HBO, for example. Cable is what made it a household name but at the same time forced it into limitations that the comic did not adhere to which did not translate well in the later episodes as it just seemed too goofy. Also, the Negan brutality (which in my opinion should have been off the charts rawer than it was) turned off the cable viewers when in reality it could have been so much worse (again, imagine it on HBO and not AMC). At any rate, RK should find a way to get it on another network if that were even possible and quit with the cable-esque runs. I'd be fine with an entire reboot of new actors, even. It could revitalize what I feel is a dying universe. I feel 'meh' about an animated run...I enjoy Invincible but the choppiness of the animation annoys me so a real world real person show is what I'd prefer. I'm shocked RK hasn't done a TWD children's book at this point as I think that's the only medium it's not been exposed to as of yet (again, milking the cash cow for all it's worth). Reboot = Revitalization on a new network, is what I hope someday happens. 2c

Also, I can't believe there are still 96 issues to reprint in color...I am totally out of the buying modern comics stage (too expensive, too much drek, no resale value) so I just have a hard time believing it's worth it to Skybound to go the distance (but I hope they do for the collectors' sake).

On 9/24/2024 at 12:03 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

I've talked with other boardies and friends on here at length in the past about how much $ could be made if and only if this series were to run/be rebooted on a different network. I mean, just imagine the savagery of Game of Thrones level viewing infused into a tv series of The Walking Dead on HBO, for example. Cable is what made it a household name but at the same time forced it into limitations that the comic did not adhere to which did not translate well in the later episodes as it just seemed too goofy. Also, the Negan brutality (which in my opinion should have been off the charts rawer than it was) turned off the cable viewers when in reality it could have been so much worse (again, imagine it on HBO and not AMC). At any rate, RK should find a way to get it on another network if that were even possible and quit with the cable-esque runs. I'd be fine with an entire reboot of new actors, even. It could revitalize what I feel is a dying universe. I feel 'meh' about an animated run...I enjoy Invincible but the choppiness of the animation annoys me so a real world real person show is what I'd prefer. I'm shocked RK hasn't done a TWD children's book at this point as I think that's the only medium it's not been exposed to as of yet (again, milking the cash cow for all it's worth). Reboot = Revitalization on a new network, is what I hope someday happens. 2c

Also, I can't believe there are still 96 issues to reprint in color...I am totally out of the buying modern comics stage (too expensive, too much drek, no resale value) so I just have a hard time believing it's worth it to Skybound to go the distance (but I hope they do for the collectors' sake).

I think that you make a great point that TWD would prosper on HBO. I think with AMC, things started off really well and then fell off the rails. I still continued to watch the show even though things had gotten worse just due to the time invested on my end. My wife fell off from watching the main show after S7 and it was something I just watched on my own. With Dead City and Daryl shows, she watched both with me and enjoyed them. I think there was quite the fatigue that this show gave to viewers as things dragged on. A show like this on HBO could work very well.

That would be an interesting idea to see RK do a TWD children's book based on the franchise.

I'm hoping that once they finish the Deluxe run, that maybe, just maybe there is some kind of surprise continuation of the main series by Kirkman since he had abruptly concluded things. 

Next week TWD Deluxe #98 releases, so they are almost halfway through getting the rest of the books out. They are pretty far along that they do need to finish this out or else whatever fans are left will be pissed off if they do not.