• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Taking off the gloves? Nice.

You've been here going on 5 years and you just now start to see the weight that CGC has? Really?

Yes.

And since we agree that collecting is not always about future gains then why are you mentioning investments again???
I just think it is a waste of money.

I stated I slabbed 10 copies not that I sold 10 copies.

You said because they sell. Do you sell 10 or more copies or not?

Once again your logic is founded in investing. So a new TWD is easier to find then a GA book in 9.8. Preacher is also easier to find then Superman 1 in 9.8 but you felt justified to collect Preacher. How scarce does a book need to be before you're no longer shocked? Maybe you should check out the Xmen thread with a higher print run and more slabbed. It might send you into a coma. lol

Yup it is shocking to me how many people collect TWD. I stated my reasons for why it was shocking. No need to get defensive.

Do you know what else I find shocking? People who eat raw bacon. I mean, I eat raw fish but raw bacon was just weird (and shocking) to me. I fond out that several people do that. I feel that they can do what they want but I am still surprised at how many people do it. If I think about it some more, I become less shocked at the habit. Kinda like in this case. At first I was floored. Then as I think/discuss it more and more, I am less shocked. I still think it is a bad idea but that is just me. I keep responding to you and it seems like I am on a pulpit decreeing the evils of slabbing comics but that is not the case.

I would buy your Preachers not because it is easier but because it's cheaper just Like it's cheaper to buy a slabbed WD in 9.8 for the majority of collectors.

Ok, it might be cheaper, it might not. Personally, I think it is pricey for a manufactured collectible.

Oh and the Preachers were sold a while ago.

Edited by Claudio

booked my room for eccc will be nice to see tony there ... Don't mind paying for an autograph since its in person at least ... maybe they will surprise me and add kirkman to the list as well ...

Yup it is shocking to me how many people collect TWD. I stated my reasons for why it was shocking. No need to get defensive.

why would it be shocking? popular series, great art, great story, not shocking at all. what's shocking is finding people who collect real human heads. people who collect comic books are not shocking. now, you might not think it's the best investment to collect walking dead for future gains, but it is not shocking.

the reason why people get defensive is because, from those first 2 sentences alone, it reads as if you are unfairly knocking their hobby.

why would it be shocking? popular series, great art, great story, not shocking at all. what's shocking is finding people who collect real human heads. people who collect comic books are not shocking. now, you might not think it's the best investment to collect walking dead for future gains, but it is not shocking.

the reason why people get defensive is because, from those first 2 sentences alone, it reads as if you are unfairly knocking their hobby.

I meant to say it is shocking that they collect it in slabs. Heck, I collect TWD but it is a 3 dollar book and 27-37 dollar case (for the most part). Not only that, it seems like there are a lot of people that collect that way. If bragnet can sell 10, how many more people out there are buying and selling as well? I'm starting to get over my shock though. lol

I meant to say it is shocking that they collect it in slabs. Heck, I collect TWD but it is a 3 dollar book and 27-37 dollar case (for the most part). Not only that, it seems like there are a lot of people that collect that way. If bragnet can sell 10, how many more people out there are buying and selling as well? I'm starting to get over my shock though. lol

i mean, i understand your point, but i think it's one of those opinions best kept to yourself (no offense meant). i'm not into cgc'd books* myself, and the idea of locking up my book doesn't sound fun to me, BUT at the same time, there are people who are shocked that a grown man even collects comic books. with that in mind, i feel if something within the hobby is not my cup of tea, i avoid it (cgc'd books for the most part, resto, pressing), but for those who are for it, as long as it's honest, have at it.

*i have a goal to get a detective comic book sig series from every decade. 30's & 40's done. also, have 2 serbian walking deads (they were sold to me that way. have doubles of the book)

Edited by Hawkman

i mean, i understand your point, but i think it's one of those opinions best kept to yourself (no offense meant).

You're right. I am not the type of person to try to ruffle feathers on the board but I was honestly shocked. I expressed my opinion and the conversation quickly took off and I had no control over it any more! lol

I have found since getting back into the comic game(about 2 1/2 years ago)...that every person has their own niche in this huge spectra of comic collecting

Some OA guys can't believe you would waste your money on anything with more then 1 copy existing. Some comic people can't believe spending over 1k on a piece of paper with ink on it :o

This is the reason I enjoy the boards(besides the drama :devil: )..I try to read all different threads from GA to OA to get a feel of what makes all of us collect and I appreciate all the different goals and challenges each collector faces. :acclaim:

On collecting WD slabbed...I am one of the people who is doing this and is almost completed this collection goal. With the help of bragnet :baiting: and beachbum.

I now have a top 9.8 (with many SS ) collection of WD...and I am happy that I pay the premium to keep it at a high level of condition. I rather not run to 3 different comic shops to find 9.8 copies. I buy a reader copy from LCS and a 9.8 from Beachbum. With many many older issue from Jeff .

The only thing I am trying to figure out is if I want to continue past issue 100 besides that I <3 my niche collection..even if others thinks its crazy :makepoint:

I am done with my rantrant and I have been drinking so if it doesn't make sense then

go

*spoon* yourself :foryou: