• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

That's fair enough. I want to be clear that I don't care for PGX, I think they are a joke. While we may disagree on grading on raw books, a professional grading society should know their mess. CGC certainly has some slight disagreement between graders which can result in a 9.2 vs. a 9.4 but that is so incredibly slight. PGX seems to be the amateur hour of professional grading. I intend to get this book CGC'd along with a couple of other books at the same time.

That's fair enough. I want to be clear that I don't care for PGX, I think they are a joke. While we may disagree on grading on raw books, a professional grading society should know their mess. CGC certainly has some slight disagreement between graders which can result in a 9.2 vs. a 9.4 but that is so incredibly slight. PGX seems to be the amateur hour of professional grading. I intend to get this book CGC'd along with a couple of other books at the same time.

I just hope for your sake that PGX book is a complete book without any restoration done to it. This is why I avoid them at all costs for any comics.

i do believe there are more people that know about cards on these boards then care to admit it :)

Well I do know one thing about sporting cards.

Trimming of sporting cards is all over the place.

I was talking to a sports card dealer the other month and he showed me his 4k professional trimmer machine.

He said him and all other well known sports cards dealers do it, especially since grading sports cards is so cheap and fast.

It was so odd to hear him talk like it wasn't bad for the hobby. Basically since so many people try to get away with it that it was kinda no big deal.

Thank God it is much harder to trim comics without obvious detection conversely to sporting cards.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

i do believe there are more people that know about cards on these boards then care to admit it :)

I was talking to a sports card dealer the other month and he showed me his 4k professional trimmer machine.

He said him and all other well known sports cards dealers do it, especially since grading sports cards is so cheap and fast.

It was so odd to hear him talk like it wasn't bad for the hobby. Basically since so many people try to get away with it that it was kinda no big deal.

Thank God it is much harder to trim comics without obvious detection conversely to sporting cards.

This dealer is full of it. PSA and Beckett do a pretty good job of detecting trimming on graded cards. Hell they error a little too much on the side of something is trimmed vs. not trimmed. Curious what companies he thinks he is getting away with this.

This is a huge deal in the sports card industry and this POS should be outed.

This dealer is full of it. PSA and Beckett do a pretty good job of detecting trimming on graded cards. Hell they error a little too much on the side of something is trimmed vs. not trimmed. Curious what companies he thinks he is getting away with this.

This is a huge deal in the sports card industry and this POS should be outed.

You said right there my friend because pretty good is not good enough.

Honestly I do not remember his name. He showed me the photos on his iPhone.

He said for ever 10 he trims 5-6 comes back un-restored.

Actually trimming makes more sense why it easy to trim and harder to detect than comic books.

My brother used to collect cards years ago, but stopped because he saw all the fraud in the hobby.

Just from my conversations I have had over the years talking to other sports cards dealers I have assumed that many sports card dealers are also trimmers.

Too much of it in that hobby.

Yes, trimming is an issue. There is a window of how big (or short) cards can be.

trimming is not nearly the same issue in comics. In modern comics id say pressing is in the same boat as trimming is in cards.

Trimming is to sports cards what trimming is to comics. Both are considered forms of restoration for graded purposes. Pressing comics is not considered resto and can't be compared to trimming, sorry.

I know a lot of high volume dealers in the sports card community and know a lot of folks connected to PSA and trimming does not get past them 50% + of the time. This dealer is full of it.

Yes, trimming is an issue. There is a window of how big (or short) cards can be.

trimming is not nearly the same issue in comics. In modern comics id say pressing is in the same boat as trimming is in cards.

Trimming is to sports cards what trimming is to comics. Both are considered forms of restoration for graded purposes. Pressing comics is not considered resto and can't be compared to trimming, sorry.

I know a lot of high volume dealers in the sports card community and know a lot of folks connected to PSA and trimming does not get past them 50% + of the time. This dealer is full of it.

Sorry, but I think unfortunately this happens all the time in the sports card hobby.

The guy wouldn't have spent 4K on a German trimming machine to get a 10% success rate.

Once the internet came out sports cards were made irrelevant anyway so who cares.

I would rather care about pictures with constant fantasy story lines than ones seeing some scrub hit a baseball.

I would buy the 1st appearance card of Barry Bonds doing steroids or Doc Goodens smoking crack in PSA 10.0. (shrug)

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Since we are ridiculously off-topic (not that I care lol) and I know nothing about baseball or trading cards..

I thought it nice to say, I bit the bullet and finally bought:

LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star.jpg

Very excited to get it and put it together with the GF..

Alright, that's the end of my PSA for tonight.

Gonna go watch Django!