• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

That ebay auction for issue #18 pg 4 with the Grimes family in the prison sold for just $630.

Ebay

Nice that you made Letter Hacks. Certainly one way to be featured in the comic (thumbs u

Gah! That's still $630 I don't have the patience to save up seeing as there are a few other things on my want list right now :) I still keep tabs on what is going on and often think it would be nice to pick something else up. Unlike other people on here I can resist for now... :sumo:

As a person with literally 3 or 4 pieces of OA (of any book) - I can see why possibly.

Perhaps most 'fans' and not "collectors" just want one, maybe 2 pages.

If so, then there was plenty to go around, in the shape of 'minor' pages.

Collectors duke it out for covers and splash pages, TM and key 'killing' pages.

Perhaps, and this is only my 2c, the little guy (like me) is happy with 1 or 2 pages, and the pool for 'minor' stuff is dwindling?

$630 though, is still pretty good for a page that was what, $175 - $225 max, back then?

I can't remember exactly what I paid for my single (maybe $140?) or my double ($400?) but both have top tier characters in, and both, based on the sale of this page, represent a decent profit should I decide to sell.

I'm not - I've had them framed etc, but if you bought that page for $150 - $200, you'd be pretty happy with $630 surely?

There is nothing special about that page.

I know people say this all the time, but the market is leveling out for TWD art. Supply has caught up to demand, and only the bigger items are going to command legit prices. That page was a nice page (and I had a page that looked almost identical!), but to me, it shouldn't sell for more than $650. It's a non-descript page with zero action. Why should it sell for more than that?

As a person with literally 3 or 4 pieces of OA (of any book) - I can see why possibly.

Perhaps, and this is only my 2c, the little guy (like me) is happy with 1 or 2 pages, and the pool for 'minor' stuff is dwindling?

$630 though, is still pretty good for a page that was what, $175 - $225 max, back then?

I can't remember exactly what I paid for my single (maybe $140?) or my double ($400?) but both have top tier characters in, and both, based on the sale of this page, represent a decent profit should I decide to sell.

I'm not - I've had them framed etc, but if you bought that page for $150 - $200, you'd be pretty happy with $630 surely?

Perhaps looking at what the best new pieces are going for versus the older stuff (which in a lot of cases might be just as cherished) could give people a different perception of where the price point on these pieces should lie. Then there is the "all Adlard", large art, 1 - 48 storyline thing... which for a lot of people sets these pages apart from the others. I don't disagree that they are still achieving pretty strong prices now even though the competition was hotter a while back.

IMHO yes it's partly down to the "little guy" either having a few pages already or getting priced out of the market... partly that there are simply so many pages out there either from source or in private hands... partly that these pages have reached heights that put them on a level par with other titles and artists.

It's not crazy to say that when you get past the $800 mark then you could start looking at say Preacher pages, it's not even a great leap from $650 which is why I find OA collecting to be a slippery slippery slope. Go into the 1K and above range and comparatively what could you get? With prices on the rise all over the place in the OA market there can be an overiding feeling of "grab it while you still can" when it comes to nostalgia zone stuff from the 80's and 90's, whereas there are plenty of TWD pages out there... unless you want one of the older larger Adlard pages of which there are approx 600.

I wouldn't necessarily see it as a poor sale at $630. Maybe things are just levelling off and a lot of people have previously bought high. Even if TWD does cool off it will hit another gear years down the line.

Perhaps looking at what the best new pieces are going for versus the older stuff (which in a lot of cases might be just as cherished) could give people a different perception of where the price point on these pieces should lie. Then there is the "all Adlard", large art, 1 - 48 storyline thing... which for a lot of people sets these pages apart from the others. I don't disagree that they are still achieving pretty strong prices now even though the competition was hotter a while back.

IMHO yes it's partly down to the "little guy" either having a few pages already or getting priced out of the market... partly that there are simply so many pages out there either from source or in private hands... partly that these pages have reached heights that put them on a level par with other titles and artists.

It's not crazy to say that when you get past the $800 mark then you could start looking at say Preacher pages, it's not even a great leap from $650 which is why I find OA collecting to be a slippery slippery slope. Go into the 1K and above range and comparatively what could you get? With prices on the rise all over the place in the OA market there can be an overiding feeling of "grab it while you still can" when it comes to nostalgia zone stuff from the 80's and 90's, whereas there are plenty of TWD pages out there... unless you want one of the older larger Adlard pages of which there are approx 600.

I wouldn't necessarily see it as a poor sale at $630. Maybe things are just levelling off and a lot of people have previously bought high. Even if TWD does cool off it will hit another gear years down the line.

These are great points. As a fan of other art/comics beyond the Walking Dead, I love Charlie's art, but I don't think I could pay more than $2K for a page of his, unless it's a major moment from 1-48, on large art, or a splash/cover. To me, when you start talking $2K and up, that's very low end Tony Moore territory, or some high end panels from incredibly popular books that aren't TWD (silver age stuff, etc). I could get a beauty of a Flash page by Carmine Infantino , or an awesome Curt Swan Supes page for $2K, and at that point, logic starts to set in... :sorry: