• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

They weren't stolen and therefore never retrieved.

It is simply HERO requesting they don't grade any unless they were part of the Charity event.

CGC should be grading these. They have graded HERO blanks before that have fallen through the cracks.

Well - in all fairness, JJ would know, so my source is probably wrong.

They weren't stolen and therefore never retrieved.

It is simply HERO requesting they don't grade any unless they were part of the Charity event.

CGC should be grading these. They have graded HERO blanks before that have fallen through the cracks.

I just want to hear Image say they gave them away. It was a mistake and move on. Or someone stole them from us.....even to hear Image say we will print as many limited edition books as we see fit,so bug off.

James,

I don't think Image cares one way or the other what we think on these lol so probably not going to spend the time creating a press release or confirming or denying if or how some got out.

We know things get over printed, copies are given away, artists get extras etc etc etc.

To me the issue isn't that they exist, but rather the issue that HERO is making about because in all reality they don't own WD, Skybound does, so not sure what right HERO has to continue dictating the terms after the charity event was completed.

Just an outsiders view...

James,

I don't think Image cares one way or the other what we think on these lol so probably not going to spend the time creating a press release or confirming or denying if or how some got out.

We know things get over printed, copies are given away, artists get extras etc etc etc.

To me the issue isn't that they exist, but rather the issue that HERO is making about because in all reality they don't own WD, Skybound does, so not sure what right HERO has to continue dictating the terms after the charity event was completed.

IMO if that is a copyright Hero logo on that book Hero should have a say if they were improperly distributed.

James,

IMO if that is a copyright Hero logo on that book Hero should have a say if they were improperly distributed.

I don't mean this to the people that bought these unknown to them. But the point that Image could do what they wanted with the Hero logo. But I'm sure Hero will not make a stink so I am.

Here is how I look at it...

It is a Walking Dead comic, with a HERO logo on it. The property is WD (owned by Skybound) with more then likely a limited usage for HERO for this event.

We don't know who printed these (HERO or Skybound), but my guess is that Skybound would have to have them printed. Did they charge HERO for printing? Did Skybound print for free?

We just don't know enough facts, but if I were a betting man (and I am) I would be willing to bet HERO doesn't have much in the way of rights at this juncture for any extra copies.

Bottom line...

They are out there. Never been an issue before (with prior wild HERO blanks) so why now? Is it because HERO isn't profiting from these floaters? I don't know.

What I firmly believe is that it is a PR nightmare for HERO and CGC to decide the fate of these copies and personally turns me off to HERO based on this. I believe it is incredibly smart of Image/Skybound to not get involved. What benefit does it provide them? They can't recoup 'lost' copies. They can only upset the people that have bought these that might be HUGE WD fans etc. it is a no-win, so best to leave it alone (if they are even aware and feel it is an issue).

There have to be far more important issues to work on then to worry about a collector or person wanting to grade their copy (by a third party impartial grading company).

I guess I just see it differently then some, but you have to pick your battles if you are HERO or Image or CGC, and this one just doesn't seen worth the effort...

Just my opinion!

Here is how I look at it...

It is a Walking Dead comic, with a HERO logo on it. The property is WD (owned by Skybound) with more then likely a limited usage for HERO for this event.

We don't know who printed these (HERO or Skybound), but my guess is that Skybound would have to have them printed. Did they charge HERO for printing? Did Skybound print for free?

We just don't know enough facts, but if I were a betting man (and I am) I would be willing to bet HERO doesn't have much in the way of rights at this juncture for any extra copies.

Bottom line...

They are out there. Never been an issue before (with prior wild HERO blanks) so why now? Is it because HERO isn't profiting from these floaters? I don't know.

What I firmly believe is that it is a PR nightmare for HERO and CGC to decide the fate of these copies and personally turns me off to HERO based on this. I believe it is incredibly smart of Image/Skybound to not get involved. What benefit does it provide them? They can't recoup 'lost' copies. They can only upset the people that have bought these that might be HUGE WD fans etc. it is a no-win, so best to leave it alone (if they are even aware and feel it is an issue).

There have to be far more important issues to work on then to worry about a collector or person wanting to grade their copy (by a third party impartial grading company).

I guess I just see it differently then some, but you have to pick your battles if you are HERO or Image or CGC, and this one just doesn't seen worth the effort...

Just my opinion!

So at the very least we can say it was very poorly handled by Hero,Image and CGC.

Now I can kind of see the point that the walking dead 100 HI sketch covers should be the ones that count towards the registry... But there isn't much harm in letting the blanks get graded is there? To be honest if anything it may help encourage people to join in with the whole Cgc malarkey. Cgc really should be an impartial party.

Surely the more limited edition variants that get produced the more people that will eventually abandon their collection.

Is there actually anyone out there that is looking forward to the next bucketful of variant covers?

This is definitely a great lesson in why I don't go for variants. The rarity is a draw, but at the end of the day they represent manufactured value. It's a shame since these were developed to help a charity, and now it just seems to be more of a headache than anything.

Issue 91 page 22 is first Jesus, correct?

In OA = yes

In comic = cameo

In comic 92 = first full appearance

Hi James!!!

:hi: Thanks......

I'd phrase it a little differently -

WD 91p22 = OA from the first cameo appearance

WD 92 pages = OA from the first full appearance

WD 91p22 also happens to be the first time Jesus appears, period, making it super desirable. There's no debating that, but sticking with TBP's Hulk 181 analogy, while the last page of 180 would be THE Wolverine page to have, the 181 pages are still first appearance pages.

Hey guys--

I typically don't get into the exclusives, but I figured i really wanted to have the first 48 in my collection.

What do you recommend? Here are the options: And don't say both.

The HC compendium exclusive (and if so, Gold or Red foil?).

The Hardcover omnibus? (meaning I'd have to buy 1 & 2).

This is definitely a great lesson in why I don't go for variants. The rarity is a draw, but at the end of the day they represent manufactured value. It's a shame since these were developed to help a charity, and now it just seems to be more of a headache than anything.

I think the whole idea is really cool on one hand but on the other is just another road block to making a full run on a modern comic. Are you going to find one for less than the cost of an #1? Agree with you that the regular issues are the only sane choice.

Hey guys--

I typically don't get into the exclusives, but I figured i really wanted to have the first 48 in my collection.

Compendium gold.

Hey guys--

I'd go for the gold compendium. It's a really well made book. I prefer the gold since it came out first, but really it'd come down to personal preference.