• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

You can't compare the Walking Dead to any other comic currently being published.

Walking Dead got me back into comics in 2012.

This is exactly what I have been saying about the book for a while (... and I doubt I am alone on this one). Without it the comics market in general would not be quite as vibrant as it is now. That's not to say there haven't been other strong influences like Marvel's assault on the Box Office... but a lot of the films are based on reboots of existing stories, unlike TWD which is by comparison fresh blood (even though it has had 10 years). So Marvel isn't exactly setting its modern market on fire.

WD changed TV, movies and comics for the better part of the last five-six years, and more importantly for the next decade. Period. I don't think that's hyperbole. Think of the scripts and shows which have been green-lighted, similar content that other networks are looking at now that they never did before (Sorry NBC...), the writers and producers who have come through TWD that are bringing that formula and experience to other networks, the cons, the fans, the haters, Skybound, etc.

It's an outlier. The idea of comparing it to another entertainment property as a gauge won't work.

Great comments. I'm very impressed with the last couple of comments by different posters. Great job guys.

Edited by raybowles

You can't compare the Walking Dead to any other comic currently being published.

Walking Dead got me back into comics in 2012.

This is exactly what I have been saying about the book for a while (... and I doubt I am alone on this one). Without it the comics market in general would not be quite as vibrant as it is now. That's not to say there haven't been other strong influences like Marvel's assault on the Box Office... but a lot of the films are based on reboots of existing stories, unlike TWD which is by comparison fresh blood (even though it has had 10 years). So Marvel isn't exactly setting its modern market on fire.

WD changed TV, movies and comics for the better part of the last five-six years, and more importantly for the next decade. Period. I don't think that's hyperbole. Think of the scripts and shows which have been green-lighted, similar content that other networks are looking at now that they never did before (Sorry NBC...), the writers and producers who have come through TWD that are bringing that formula and experience to other networks, the cons, the fans, the haters, Skybound, etc.

It's an outlier. The idea of comparing it to another entertainment property as a gauge won't work.

Yeah. It's not quite what I was aiming for but I posted literally as we were locking up the office to go home. Agree that it's had a massive affect on things, it still makes my mind boggle at how much impact it has had. What I was trying to say is I think it's one of the biggest contributors to the upward trend in the comics market in general but more specifically moderns. Just didn't want to ignore that there have been quite a few other things / franchises out there in the past 5-6 years that have also driven the market hence the Marvel mention. Yes TWD is an outlier.

TWD is the only non-superhero comic book property that spans generations. I've seen people of ALL ages who like it. From little kids to grandparents.

There aren't comic book spin offs. Sure there are one shots, and tons of variants, but there is only ONE comic story. That story has consistently driven in new fans. And has created a multi-media franchise. Come on. A multi-media franchise of a non-superhero comic book property. This is absurd. It defies what people want to think is popular.

If people are still reading comic books in 50 years, I would like to think TWD would stand the test of time - in the same way that other comic book & television properties have that are still relevant today.

Actually I enjoyed the perspective from other artist of the Walking Dead so much that I went on a hunt for 109's........ at the time there were so many.Seemed like a lot of artist were selling them or were being asked to sketch one.

But one commission stands out for me.........

ZzMDbg6K_2403142116251.jpg

The more I see it the more I love it.

One of my favorite 109's

RBAAkJOa_1204141719111.jpg

Glad I got it while he was still working on his book....he put some good work into it.

I miss Roc on Rat Queens. One more thing, if the a Queens had woken up in a hospital bed surrounded by walkers.... :banana:

Sup guys-

Long time! I see James J's collection is still amazing as ever!

Shameless plug: check out my sales thread. I am purging my TWD books to pay off some debt/plan a vacation. Keeping all my statue's and action figures though.

Hope you all are doing well.

Peace!

Google is my friend..... but either way it's a cool 109....

Post'em if you got them :headbang:

The 109's were(are) the best blanks to get something done on. I was never really happy with AOW blanks.