• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail Acquired....

48 posts in this topic

If you pay tomorrow you will have the book by the end of next week.

As to the question on the buyers premium. You are paying that with any dealer. He buys a book and marks it up 20-100% or more. Here it is just out in the open. As long as you look at the ($$$) you are fine. I don't even concern myself with the lower price.

BTW, great book.

Nice pick up count! (thumbs u

If I were you I would keep cracking and resubbing it over and over again until one day the boys in Florida are so sick of you, they just give it a blue label to make you stop.

3 K for a 8.0 ASM 1......NICE.I hope you're going to de slab it.That would be nice to take in and out of a mylar....you can always reslab it.That price sounds kind of reasonable.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hey Nelson, I have a brochure on the Kylberg Collection from Heritage if you are interested in it.

I actually downloaded the PDF catalog but I did not find this book in there. Is this book in the brochure you have?

If so, yes please :foryou:

Some info about Kylberg for those wondering (Taken from Heritage site)

The Kylberg Collection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Collector's Profile: Rich Kylberg

It's one thing to have a nice comic book collection, and something else to be able to spread out high-grade copies of Action #1, Detective #27, Marvel Comics #1, and All-American Comics #16, and know that these are only the tip of the iceberg! Collector Rich Kylberg took a moment to share the story of how this amazing collection was put together.

"Growing up in Denver in the early 70s, my friends and I would ride the bus to a store called A-1 Comics, " Mr. Kylberg explains. " I can remember seeing Amazing Fantasy #15, Conan the Barbarian #1 and other keys on the store wall. I never imagined as a kid that I'd be able to afford incredible treasures like these."

"I was really enthralled by the adventures of superheroes like Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Batman, and others. Frankly, I wanted to be a superhero. Once when I was little, my mother asked me why I was wearing pajamas under my clothes. I wasn't at liberty to give out that information since I had a secret identity to protect, but of course the answer was that I was just doing what Peter Parker and Steve Rogers do, wearing my superhero costume under my civvies in case I had to spring into action. Now, let me stress that I abandoned this practice at a very young age, but even today when I run a triathlon or do some of the other crazy things I like to do, I sometimes think it comes from that early desire to be a superhero."

Unlike most collectors who abandoned comics at some point and then had to start over, Mr. Kylberg never lost interest in the hobby when he went on to high school, college, and the work force. He took the next major step after his time attending Harvard Business School, circa 1990.

"I was on a business trip to New York City, and decided to look up a major comic dealer," Mr. Kylberg says. "I went inside and said 'Do you guys have an Amazing Fantasy #15?'" " I was told that while there wasn't one in the store, there was a convention going on down the street. I went to the show, met Dave Anderson [then and now a famous collector/dealer] and bought a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15, the same copy that Heritage is now auctioning. That was supposed to be the end of my expensive comic book collecting... but pretty soon, Fantastic Four #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 followed, and I was off to the races."

Mr. Kylberg's successful career as a broadcasting executive meant that he soon had the financial means to take his collecting to the next level.

"At some point, I thought: why don't I buy really beautiful copies of every key superhero comic book? What interested me were the #1 issues and origins of the most important superheroes as well as the Disney characters. I've got nothing against collectors who collect certain artists, theme covers, first appearances of villains, or whatever, but that's not what interested me."

"I pulled out the Overstreet Guide and scanned their list of top 100 books, but only for anything that met my key criteria. That's why a few expensive books like Action #2 aren't in my collection. Still, I didn't waver from what I really needed . It bothered me that while Whiz #2 was Captain Marvel's first newsstand appearance, he was in an ashcan before that. So I had to have that ashcan!"

It took almost ten years, but Mr. Kylberg managed to find and acquire all of these keys. Every one is offered in this auction without reserve. He details his criteria as follows:

"I didn't want a ragged copy of anything. Restored or unrestored, I was looking for books with eye appeal, that's the factor that was absolutely critical. It's about the beauty of the books and the sheer joy of these classic characters. It was very challenging and frankly very expensive, but at no time was it about investment, or anything other than compiling a collection of absolute key superhero comic books."

Mr. Kylberg also passed on some words to the winning bidders:

"For the last five or ten years these books have been in a vault, and it's time for them to be in the hands of someone who's going to enjoy them. I was just a temporary custodian of these works of art. It'll be the next person's responsibility to take good care of these things and maintain them for future generations. Knock 'em all out of the slabs, read 'em and enjoy 'em! "

Congrats. (thumbs u De-slab that beast.

Issue 1 and 2 are the only ASMs I've never owned and it's going to be a long time before I get the copies I want. :cry:

Wow, great book, great page quality, nice story behind it, good provenance, and a good price story, tailor made for the count

three thousand ... ... ... and one ah ah ah ah ah ah :)

Congrats!

On top of it all it was my 1st Heritage auction...I'm still trying to get past the whole 20% premium :pullhair:

I can't get past them letting their own employees bid on their auctions, win, crack the slab, restore the book, resubmit for a higher grade and resell in the next auction. By comparison, a 20% vig seems reasonable.

But, congratulations!