• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

I'll throw this list out there for when the sets get updated to 500:

451-500:

461 Kubert X-Babies Variant

475 Sketch Variant

492 Variant

492 Second Printing

493 Variant

493 Second Printing

494 Variant

495 Second Printing

497 Secret Skrull Variant

497 Marko Djurdjevic Variant

497 Emerald City Con Variant

500 Alex Ross Cover

500 Turner Variant

500 Dodson Variant

500 DF Variant (Alex Ross Online, different than Ross regular cover)

:frustrated:

Yeah, that's the "error" variant of the newsstand. Two different prices on the cover. I think it says $2.25 at the UPC. Is that your copy or a stock photo?

that one is my copy that I have posted up at STLcomics.com

Yeah, that's the "error" variant of the newsstand. Two different prices on the cover. I think it says $2.25 at the UPC. Is that your copy or a stock photo?

that one is my copy that I have posted up at STLcomics.com

Good job! I wonder how CGC would consider it. As an error, or an actual variant.

I would rather critique someone else's list.

I can't seem to track down my 221 So Much Fun reprint to check the interior and I personally have not see the interior of the JC Penney UXM 245 reprint yet.

The X-Men 245 is a full reprint with the exception of the ads, inside covers and back covers which have 1993 ads as do all 1993 Marvel Vintage Pack reprints.

I am pretty sure the indicia is exactly the same of the original UXM 245 but I can check tonight and supply a scan if anybody wants to see it.

I would leave to see a scan of this issue.

Which creates another question. Should reprints made years later with different advertising be considered variants or just special editions? hm

special editions rantrant

otherwise all those Hulk 181 reprints over the last 30 years would all be "variants" :makepoint:

I totally agree... But that then puts the 268 2nd printing in question since it was actually published a few years later as a promotional book also as I understand.

Then abolish it as a special edition also hm

I just compared raw copies of 268 and 268 2nd print. The interior of the 2nd print has advertisements for Marvel Comic's upcoming issues from 1992 replacing the original advertising from 1990. Here is an example:

2682ndinterior.jpg

Any other opinions?

Here is the cover to UXM 245... X-Men245rep.jpg

Here is the back cover... 1993REPBACKCOVER.jpg

Here is the inside back cover... I think you can make out the 1993 copyright of the ad down at the bottom. 1993REPINSIDEBACKCOVER_2.jpg

The indicia is the same as the original so that would be no help. BTW, the UXM 268 you have above is part of the 1992 Marvel VIntage Pack but unlike the 1993 MVPs those do say "second printing" in the indicia. Here is a link to my write-up and gallery over at STLcomics.com- http://www.stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

There are only 6 real variants in the entire X-Men run. :makepoint:

Second prints are second prints, reprints are reprints, foreign editions are foreign editions, mail-aways are mail-aways, toy editions are toy editions, and manufactured collectibles are manufactured collectibles.

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

Believe me, Jim I heard you and cried out as well. As long they keep the variants and all as a separate set as it is now, I have no problem. But, if they try to combine them, watch out for a sh*te storm.

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

notice how he skipped out on copper X-Men just as it got implemented hm

hm

I just spent a little time comparing interiors of the copper reprints. Issues 270, 275, 281, 282 2nd prints and 297 Gold 2nd print IMO should stay in the run since the interior pages and advertising are exact reprints and were available during the same period of time.

I think the 268 Marvel Value Pack reprint should be pulled, and the 245 MVP not added since it has only Marvel related advertising, and were created years later. (Sorry Phil, I even have my own 268 MVP subbed at the moment). If we keep the 268 MVP however, we have to let the 245 MVP in.

The only question I have now is the 248 Gold 2nd printing, it was printed 4-5 years later, but did have current advertising for that period of time.

Just my 2 cents hm

Something else to consider is that if you let the UXM 245 and 268 in then you also have the UXM 60 and 61 1993 MVPs along with the 1994 issues- X-Men 28, 62 and 63.

Yeah, this is my concern... I have some of those MVP issues myself.

I don't think we should start adding variants to the 1-66 run. It would be one thing if they were printed during that era but they were printed some 20-25 years later.

They don't belong in my opinion.

I just spent a little time comparing interiors of the copper reprints. Issues 270, 275, 281, 282 2nd prints and 297 Gold 2nd print IMO should stay in the run since the interior pages and advertising are exact reprints and were available during the same period of time.

I think the 268 Marvel Value Pack reprint should be pulled, and the 245 MVP not added since it has only Marvel related advertising, and were created years later. (Sorry Phil, I even have my own 268 MVP subbed at the moment). If we keep the 268 MVP however, we have to let the 245 MVP in.

The only question I have now is the 248 Gold 2nd printing, it was printed 4-5 years later, but did have current advertising for that period of time.

Just my 2 cents hm

I don't mind what's in or out as long as the sets are correct and everyone's in agreement, my #268 2nd 9.8 is still a sweet book :luhv:

Just my 2 cents hm

I don't mind what's in or out as long as the sets are correct and everyone's in agreement, my #268 2nd 9.8 is still a sweet book :luhv:

That 268 2nd 9.8 is such a sweet book.

I just found My UXM 221 So Much Fun Inc. reprint. It was printed the same year as the original 221 and has the same interior page advertising as the original 221. The indica says "2nd Printing".

2212nd.jpg

I would like to include this to the variants list also.