• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

Too funny, if it makes you feel any better there's no more to dig up... that I know of. lol

Just the 2nd prints of 211-213 :makepoint:

Never seen reprints in that range other than this 213 with a 212 cover:

2132nd.jpg

There are only 6 real variants in the entire X-Men run. :makepoint:

Second prints are second prints, reprints are reprints, foreign editions are foreign editions, mail-aways are mail-aways, toy editions are toy editions, and manufactured collectibles are manufactured collectibles.

As much as it pains me to admit it, JC is correct.

I suggest we stick with true variant covers and 2nd printings issued around the same publication date as the first printing.

There are only 6 real variants in the entire X-Men run. :makepoint:

Second prints are second prints, reprints are reprints, foreign editions are foreign editions, mail-aways are mail-aways, toy editions are toy editions, and manufactured collectibles are manufactured collectibles.

As much as it pains me to admit it, JC is correct.

I suggest we stick with true variant covers and 2nd printings issued around the same publication date as the first printing.

Exactly, the MVP stuff and Marvel Legends reprints should be kept out.

Only variant covers and reprints/2nd prints/price variants that are produced around the same publication date should be kept in or added in my humble opinion.

No, you misunderstand. Those price variants were only used in six different cities, I believe, as a test to see if a price increase would affect the market. These carry different prices based on venue of sale or type of paper used. CGC makes no differentiation in labeling the books.

At least one of the Non-Deluxe price variants are already listed in one other set that I know of, the Wolverine set.

I don't collect Wolverine. Plus, if you starting looking for consistency in the Registry, well...

No, you misunderstand. Those price variants were only used in six different cities, I believe, as a test to see if a price increase would affect the market. These carry different prices based on venue of sale or type of paper used. CGC makes no differentiation in labeling the books.

No, I do understand and know the history of the price variants in the bronze age. However, CGC HAS made differentation, and labeling of price variants in the modern era. 423 newsstand edition in the modern set is just 1 example.

At least one of the Non-Deluxe price variants are already listed in one other set that I know of, the Wolverine set.

I don't collect Wolverine. Plus, if you starting looking for consistency in the Registry, well...

Well... That's why we, as a group, are having this discussion on what should, or shouldn't be in the set.

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken it was a similar situation for the price change during this Modern time period... The $1.50 price variants for 318, 319, 320, 321 were also direct editions, but not available in all markets. The bigger markets got the Deluxe issues for 318-321 which were set at $1.95 and all issues remained at the $1.95 price from 322 until the next price change-over. The covers are printed on the same quality stock but the interior pages of the Deluxe copies use a glossy paper stock.

No, I do understand and know the history of the price variants in the bronze age. However, CGC HAS made differentation, and labeling of price variants in the modern era. 423 newsstand edition in the modern set is just 1 example.

423 is different because it has a 25 price tag as a special promotion... Ah hell, why do I care?

HEY CGC, I WANT TO CREATE MY OWN SET!

Thank you.

423 is different because it has a 25 price tag as a special promotion... Ah hell, why do I care?

Thank you.

funny thing is, if you read the indicia, the mass produced 25 cent version is the price variant

How does CGC label the newsstand version of 423?

Thank you.

funny thing is, if you read the indicia, the mass produced 25 cent version is the price variant

Label reads "Newsstand Edition. Printed with $2.25 cover price."

423news.jpg

Thank you.

Label reads "Newsstand Edition. Printed with $2.25 cover price."

423news.jpg

(thumbs u