• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

I have been considering this topic for a while and these are the issues that I feel qualify for inclusion in the competitive set listing.

200-300

248 2nd print

270 2nd print

275 2nd print

281 2nd print

282 2nd print

297 Pressman Gold Edition

301-430

303 Pressman Gold Edition

307 Pressman Gold Edition

316 Foil (or nonfoil since the foil is more common)

317 Foil (or nonfoil since the foil is more common)

320 Wizard gold variant

342 Rogue Variant

350 Prismatic Foil

354 Phoenix Variant

360 DF

360 HoloFoil

375 Another Universe

375 Wizard

377 Alternate cover (I didn't see this one listed before)

381 DF Chrome

381 DF

381 Alternate cover

385 Wizard

395 Alternate cover

429 WizardWorld variant

I would leave out all price variants. The addition of the Wolverine 90 price variant was mentioned but I don't agree with that and there are other similar Wolverine "nondeluxe" issues that were left out so the Wolverine run is not even internally consistent, let alone a model to copy for Uncanny X-Men. In fact, I think the "price variants" for the 94-143 run should be removed and placed in a separate set. They are not generally considered part of the original run. Leaving out price variants will also head off the inevitable future discussion of adding Canadian price variants.

Same thing with newsstand variants - there may be unusual circumstances where inclusion would be OK (like the gold UPC Spider-Man 1) but not as a general rule. Completists may like them but they are more appropriate for a "user -created" set than the competitive set. All newsstand "variants" should be excluded.

The Marvel Value pack reprints and the Toy-Biz reprints are both out for the competitive set.

I do not support a general rule of including "printing error" variants for this title so the "color" variants mentioned in some publications are definitely out. I also think that the "25-cent" printing error should be excluded. CGC recently added a one-of-a-kind printing error to the Valiant Variants set and that stinks because now only one collector will ever have a complete set. I can see some more common printing "errors" like the recalled edition of Wolverine 131 or the Black Venom 1 rising to the level of "variant" but those should be rare exceptions and only in instances where the collecting community generally considers the book to be an integral part of the run.

I don't think second prints are "variants" but I think these issues meet the criteria of being generally considered to be a part of the run and therefore merit inclusion.

The Pressman gold sendaway issues and the nonfoil issues will drive the 9.8 completists crazy (that includes me) because they will be extraordinarily difficult to find in uber-HG but I think that they fit.

I have been considering this topic for a while and these are the issues that I feel qualify for inclusion in the competitive set listing.

200-300

248 2nd print

270 2nd print

275 2nd print

281 2nd print

282 2nd print

301-430

320 Wizard gold variant

342 Rogue Variant

350 Prismatic Foil

354 Phoenix Variant

360 DF

360 HoloFoil

375 Another Universe

375 Wizard

381 DF Chrome

381 DF

381 Alternate cover

385 Wizard

395 Alternate cover

429 WizardWorld variant

I would leave out all price variants. The addition of the Wolverine 90 price variant was mentioned but I don't agree with that and there are other similar Wolverine "nondeluxe" issues that were left out so the Wolverine run is not even internally consistent, let alone a model to copy for Uncanny X-Men. In fact, I think the "price variants" for the 94-143 run should be removed and placed in a separate set. They are not generally considered part of the original run. Leaving out price variants will also head off the inevitable future discussion of adding Canadian price variants.

Same thing with newsstand variants - there may be unusual circumstances where inclusion would be OK (like the gold UPC Spider-Man 1) but not as a general rule. Completists may like them but they are more appropriate for a "user -created" set than the competitive set. All newsstand "variants" should be excluded.

The Marvel Value pack reprints and the Toy-Biz reprints are both out for the competitive set.

I do not support a general rule of including "printing error" variants for this title so the "color" variants mentioned in some publications are definitely out. I also think that the "25-cent" printing error should be excluded. CGC recently added a one-of-a-kind printing error to the Valiant Variants set and that stinks because now only one collector will ever have a complete set. I can see some more common printing "errors" like the recalled edition of Wolverine 131 or the Black Venom 1 rising to the level of "variant" but those should be rare exceptions and only in instances where the collecting community generally considers the book to be an integral part of the run.

I don't think second prints are "variants" but I think these issues meet the criteria of being generally considered to be a part of the run and therefore merit inclusion.

The Pressman gold sendaway issues and the nonfoil issues will drive the 9.8 completists crazy (that includes me) because they will be extraordinarily difficult to find in uber-HG but I think that they fit.

I agree with this list almost 100% with maybe keeping the 423 newstand version thrown, and also the including the 221 2nd Print. When it comes to the 318-321 price variants I'm still going to send them in and get them graded since I personally would like to see my own copies graded. I'll probably put scans of them in the reverse slots for the deluxe editions.

The 268 should be removed since it is a Marvel Value Pack issue.

I also think the Pressman Gold 2nd prints fit in. However, I think they should be scored on how common they are. The 307 is very common to find (I have 5) so I think that should score like a normal variant in the set, followed by the 303 which should score higher (maybe like the 80 pts a 9.8 342 variant would get) since it's less common, but still readily available. Just my opinion, I don't make the scoring decisions. lol

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

notice how he skipped out on copper X-Men just as it got implemented hm

hm

I had almost all of them in 9.8 :gossip:

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

notice how he skipped out on copper X-Men just as it got implemented hm

hm

I had almost all of them in 9.8 :gossip:

I think you are really a Skrull.

I agree, but ditch the Pressman sendaway issues.

Doc, I am tempted to agree with you merely out of my respect for you as a collector or the fact that I consider you a friend. But, in a completely unbiased view, the Pressman books are considered part of the "run" by virtually all X-Men collectors. In fact, they are highly sought-after. 9.8 copies may not exist, or exist in any quantity, but that criteria shouldn't exclude them.

I agree with this list almost 100% with maybe keeping the 423 newstand version thrown, and also the including the 221 2nd Print. When it comes to the 318-321 price variants I'm still going to send them in and get them graded since I personally would like to see my own copies graded. I'll probably put scans of them in the reverse slots for the deluxe editions.

Dre,

The 221 "More Fun" reprint doesn't fit. It was part of a "Classic" series of reprints along with Amazing Spider-Man 292 and I'm not sure what else. It is the same as the Marvel Value Pack books just a different time/company.

I agree with your approach to the newsstand/price variants - collect them if you want but they aren't generally considered a different and integral part of the run. I don't see enough of a difference between the 423 newsstand and printing errors to justify putting it in at this time. We can revisit adding it later if it becomes generally considered part of the run by the X-Men collecting community. But, let's call this one an "open question" for now and move on with getting the run listed.

Doc, I am tempted to agree with you merely out of my respect for you as a collector or the fact that I consider you a friend. But, in a completely unbiased view, the Pressman books are considered part of the "run" by virtually all X-Men collectors. In fact, they are highly sought-after. 9.8 copies may not exist, or exist in any quantity, but that criteria shouldn't exclude them.

I don't consider a sendaway copy to be part of a run. Unless, that is type of run you are striving for. If these runs become too complicated to complete, I can see people abandoning them altogether. But, that is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Did I mention I was waiting for the build your own set feature?

I don't consider a sendaway copy to be part of a run. Unless, that is type of run you are striving for. If these runs become too complicated to complete, I can see people abandoning them altogether. But, that is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think these runs will be too complicated to complete. As it stands now if we consider Steve's opinion it looks like we could be removing just 2 issues, the 268 MVP & the 423 newstand, and just adding 3 issues the Pressmans.

I would never consider the error of 423 newsstand a true variant, just an error issue. I would like as much people to chime in with a yes or no vote on dropping the 423 newsstand since it's already on the variant's list.

Also, I have double checked the 360 variant that is listed in my variant run. I picked this slab up on Ebay, and after comparing it with my 9.8 of the non-foil issue I had graded last month, they are indeed the same comic.

The 360 "variant" slot should be removed from the runs and I will be submitting the slab to be corrected by CGC to indicate that it is just the regular, non-holofoil issue.

Also, the 381 holo-foils and chromes should be combined to one slot since they are in fact the same book. There is no "holofoil" for this issue. The Chrome 381 I had graded last month actually came back as "HoloFoil" even though I sent in the DF certificate that clearly states it is the DF Chrome.

:whatev:

:gossip:You already have one in your collection. :whistle:

I know. 445. I just got it because it's a Juan original.

(thumbs u

Hey, one day I will make it to your neck of the woods and we can do a stake out to see if MK really does any work during the day.

:whatev:

:gossip:You already have one in your collection. :whistle:

I know. 445. I just got it because it's a Juan original.

(thumbs u

Hey, one day I will make it to your neck of the woods and we can do a stake out to see if MK really does any work during the day.

:roflmao:

I don't think these runs will be too complicated to complete. As it stands now if we consider Steve's opinion it looks like we could be removing just 2 issues, the 268 MVP & the 423 newstand, and just adding 3 issues the Pressmans.

I would never consider the error of 423 newsstand a true variant, just an error issue. I would like as much people to chime in with a yes or no vote on dropping the 423 newsstand since it's already on the variant's list.

Adding the 3 Pressmans in the set would make it extremely hard to collect due to the fact that finding a copy of #297 is almost as hard as finding Thorn: Tales of the Lantern. Some folks do not even know this book exist. In any case, I vote to keep the 268 MVP and 423 newsstand on the list and exclude all error books from it. Also is the 245 MVP on the list as well?

200-300

248 2nd print

270 2nd print

275 2nd print

281 2nd print

282 2nd print

301-430

320 Wizard gold variant

342 Rogue Variant

350 Prismatic Foil

354 Phoenix Variant

360 DF

360 HoloFoil

375 Another Universe

375 Wizard

381 DF Chrome

381 DF

381 Alternate cover

385 Wizard

395 Alternate cover

429 WizardWorld variant

I like this list as well, but I would like to see some consistency. If you're gonna include the Pressman books, then #221 SMF and #246, 268 MVPs should be included as well since all of those books were not distributed through normal channels.

Adding the 3 Pressmans in the set would make it extremely hard to collect due to the fact that finding a copy of #297 is almost as hard as finding Thorn: Tales of the Lantern. Some folks do not even know this book exist. In any case, I vote to keep the 268 MVP and 423 newsstand on the list and exclude all error books from it. Also is the 245 MVP on the list as well?

I can't comment on the #268 as I have the only one @ 9.8 at present, but if we're going to have the #423, shouldn't we have the other newsstand books as well. I believe one of the criteria's was different covers, well the #325 has a significantly different cover as it doesn't have the holofoil lettering which makes it as much of a variant as any of the others, doesn't it? ( I can post scans of both #325's if needed)

I like this list as well, but I would like to see some consistency. If you're gonna include the Pressman books, then #221 SMF and #246, 268 MVPs should be included as well since all of those books were not distributed through normal channels.

I included the pressman books because I believe that they were released around the same time as the originals. And I thought that the SMF and MVP books were reprints at a later period in time. If I am wrong about my assumption on the publication date of the Pressman books and they were, in fact, reprints that came out later, then I would say exclude them.

Do you have the publication date info for the Pressmans, the SMFs and the MVPs from the indicia BeachBum?