• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,460 posts in this topic

nothing to do with the Bone characters..

it's about an art thief (who only steals picassos), he does this by using something called the 'drift' which allows him to switch dimensions. Main character smokes and drinks like a pirate, and is being chased by a mysterious dude in black. It's awesome.

Finally, all of the Thorn strips have been reprinted in a signed edition and the book is available at OSU for $25.

Only 500 were printed though so you might want to order soon.

Today, for the first time, the OSU site has this book listed as sold out. Hopefully, everyone who saw this last week got their checks or money orders through on time (including mine)... :wishluck:

Got my copy today :banana:

I got 174 and 175.

For someone who's into Bone, it's a good read - it's a lot cruder than Bone, but the characters are all there, and you can totally see the beginnings of what would later become the Bone comic book. Thumbs up from me.

Been away on business for awhile but I'll post some new pics this afternoon.

Check cashed for the Before Bone book on 06/23 but have yet to receive it. Can't wait...

Found the Before Bone book in my big stack of mail...#188. I've only seen bits and pieces of the old strips (some were reprinted in the Holiday Special) so I'm looking forward to reading it this evening.

I've posted my best #1, #3, and #4 so here's the rest of my top 5:

bone02cgc94green0148581001-1.jpg

With its black front and back covers, #5 is really tough to get in high grade. Only one 9.4 stands above it.

bone05cgc920147904003-1.jpg

The following was a free mail-away comic from Wizard in 1995. The short story within (Smiley & Lucius fixing Gran'ma Ben's roof) is included in the Eyes of the Storm TPB. There are actually a lot more 9.6 Golds than the census currently shows. Rolo40 submitted most of them & all of his were mislabeled so they won't show up as golds on the registry. So far, this is the only 9.6 that's been corrected.

The CGC census recently added a new variant of this comic. Originally, it was just the regular red cover and the gold cover below. Now, there's a gold foil version (only one has been graded). Anyone know more about this? (shrug)

bone13cgc960148583009.jpg

I think the "Gold Foil" variant is a mistake on CGC's part. I can't find any information about additional gold covers and I asked a collecting authority of Bone stuff as well...and he's only seen one version too. Maybe I'll give CGC a call to get the final word.

I think the "Gold Foil" variant is a mistake on CGC's part. I can't find any information about additional gold covers and I asked a collecting authority of Bone stuff as well...and he's only seen one version too. Maybe I'll give CGC a call to get the final word.

I've only ever heard that referred to as the "Gold Foil" variant - so perhaps the "Gold" variant is the mistake?

I've only ever heard that referred to as the "Gold Foil" variant - so perhaps the "Gold" variant is the mistake?

I eyeballed mine for a couple minutes and it's really hard to tell if the title is of a different material than the rest of the cover. Unfortunately, I don't have a reader of this particular issue.

Originally the label didn't have "Gold Edition" and it displayed in the registry as the regular edition. I got it back from Gemma in March with the corrected registration. That "Gold Foil" edition didn't show up in the census until the most recent update (07/07/08) with a lone 9.0.

Yet another raw Bone #1 sold on ebay tonight for over $400. Here was part of the description regarding the book's condition: "Comic is in Excellent Mint-Near Mint Condition!!(You can tell it's been looked through a few times, other than that, IT LOOKS GREAT!!)." A raw #2 also sold for over $100 with this description: "Comic is in Excellent Mint-Near Mint Condition!!(You can tell it's been looked through a few times, and it has a small scratch on the Cover, Middle Left Hand Side, in Between the 2 Rat Creatures, other than that, IT LOOKS GREAT!!)."

Are these buyers crazy or is there now a more extreme demand for the #1? Previously, I've seen very few raws go for over $200 but those were with bigger pics and less vague descriptions. And the #2 with the listed flaw going for twice as much as I've seen a raw go (and more than any graded #2 has ever gone). Looks strange to me.