• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,460 posts in this topic

I got scans on the book that just sold for $400. It looks like a 7.0/7.5 at best and it was at $200 or so at the time so I thought it was too high to even take a shot at it. :shrug:

Ouch ... I smell an ebay negative coming along ...

Sold a copy of the Before Bone TPB for $128.50 on ebay yesterday, put another one up with a BIN for $129.99. I cannot believe they are going for so much. High bidder was from Amsterdam.

I got scans on the book that just sold for $400. It looks like a 7.0/7.5 at best and it was at $200 or so at the time so I thought it was too high to even take a shot at it. :shrug:

I didn't buy it. I was interested to see what it looked like up close and if it was worth doing an ebay gamble on. I passed at $200 on the gamble. Somebody took a shot at $400+ though.

I didn't buy it. I was interested to see what it looked like up close and if it was worth doing an ebay gamble on. I passed at $200 on the gamble. Somebody took a shot at $400+ though.

Yah, that's what I mean - the book was described as "Mint-Near Mint" which would have been worth the $400+ price tag. If the buyer ends up receiving a book that's 7.0-7.5, I don't think that person is going to be very happy with the seller ...

Yah, that's what I mean - the book was described as "Mint-Near Mint" which would have been worth the $400+ price tag. If the buyer ends up receiving a book that's 7.0-7.5, I don't think that person is going to be very happy with the seller ...

Yeah, but look at the sentence directly following Mint-Near Mint. I don't think the buyer would have a leg to stand on in that argument.

Yeah, but look at the sentence directly following Mint-Near Mint. I don't think the buyer would have a leg to stand on in that argument.

Whatcha mean? Just because the seller says "you can tell it's been looked through a few times" doesn't really negate the fact that the sellers claims it's NM/M. All comments about "ebay grading" aside, looking through a comic book doesn't really drop the grade from a NM to a F/VF or VF minus - to me this would be a pretty clear-cut example of a genuine SNAD complaint (if, of course, the book is in 7.0 - 7.5 condition).

Anyway ... looks like there's a new 1st print Bone #1 on ebay - man, these suckers sure are cropping up pretty regularly these days.

The sentence afterwards clearly reveals that the seller has no idea what Mint-Near Mint really means. Yes, looking through a comic doesn't necessarily bring the grade down, but when "you can tell it's been looked through a few times", you'd have to be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to think it's anywhere near Mint-Near Mint by CGC standards.

The sentence afterwards clearly reveals that the seller has no idea what Mint-Near Mint really means. Yes, looking through a comic doesn't necessarily bring the grade down, but when "you can tell it's been looked through a few times", you'd have to be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to think it's anywhere near Mint-Near Mint by CGC standards.

Don't get me wrong here, I completely agree with what you're saying (which is why I referred to "ebay grading" in my previous reply).

My point is merely that if the buyer ends up being unhappy with the purchase, he can simply point to what the seller wrote in the description, and as such will have no problem getting a paypal refund, filing a chargeback, etc.

Don't get me wrong here, I completely agree with what you're saying (which is why I referred to "ebay grading" in my previous reply).

My point is merely that if the buyer ends up being unhappy with the purchase, he can simply point to what the seller wrote in the description, and as such will have no problem getting a paypal refund, filing a chargeback, etc.

I believe you're right in that regard.

I love how the newest auction describes the comic as having "tiny moisture spots". :sick:

I believe you're right in that regard.

I love how the newest auction describes the comic as having "tiny moisture spots". :sick:

That means its only worth $350 :pullhair:

I would love to get the "Before bone" book. Certainly not paying the ebay going rate for one. I was also watching the Bone #1, it looked over graded however I was still willing to pay $200ish for it. I was shocked to see it go so high.

Edited by kidcolt

I think the price you're seeing on eBay for the "Before Bone" book is the lowest it will be. It's already fallen a decent amount (from $250 to $100-130ish), and as the supply dries up it will keep increasing.

I'd hold out for an unsigned edition if you just want the old strips though.

I think the price you're seeing on eBay for the "Before Bone" book is the lowest it will be. It's already fallen a decent amount (from $250 to $100-130ish), and as the supply dries up it will keep increasing.

Is there going to be an unsigned edition? I thought the 500 signed copies were the entire print run - and that the book wasn't going to be reprinted?

Thats it, 500 signed editions, Jeff Smith said he is not going to reprint them. I am really surprised that the one I have up at$129 BIN hasnt sold since that one just ended at over 140

Is there going to be an unsigned edition? I thought the 500 signed copies were the entire print run - and that the book wasn't going to be reprinted?

I didn't know that. If this is not going to be reprinted, this is definitely the lowest it will ever be IMO. The sky is the limit - I wouldn't be surprised to see this at $500+ at some point in the next year or two due to the combination of print run, signature, and exclusive content.

Some have sold between $100-114. Is yours the one listed with a minor mark on it? If so I think your honesty is why it has not sold yet. Why buy a slightly damaged copy when you could buy a mint copy for the same price or slightly cheaper. I also noticed from previous experience that those immidiate payment required auctions usually have less success.

Thats it, 500 signed editions, Jeff Smith said he is not going to reprint them. I am really surprised that the one I have up at$129 BIN hasnt sold since that one just ended at over 140
Edited by kidcolt

Nope mine is the one that is $129.99 and I actually have seen the reverse, that bidders tend to jump on BIN auctions instead of worring about being swiped in the last min, especially when the BIN price is roughly what bidding has been ending at.

That means its only worth $350 :pullhair:

Lets hope not. I had the seller send me some close up photos of the book. This copy has seen more than a few reads and definitively has some water damage :(

Edited by cyberjad