• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

What is a joke are the assigned points to all the St. John romance titles. Plus CGC closed the thread for reviewing them.

Yes, the points system is pretty funny.  They should assign them backwards (highest point books being the last published rather than the number 1's).

I gauge my success on the percent completed.  :)

14 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

There is some significant rippling on the BC typical of giant sized issues. I probably should have it pressed before slabbing.

5 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

nah wouldn't have helped much - edge rippling, like with the crippens they can smooth out, but on the squarebounds by the spine side, not so much

beautiful books, it's been a while since you (or Ron or some other old timers!) showed some runs, your collection is outstanding

Depending on the rippling, a press could really do some damage.  Its such a lovely book to begin with I would avoid the press.

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Bought this one was raw (as a 5.5) from Richie M about five years ago.  Finally got it graded.  A bit surprising that it's the only copy on the census.  Kinda like the cover.  Only wish it had been a full cover without the left-hand preview panels.

IMG_1017.jpg

My sentiments exactly.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Bought this one was raw (as a 5.5) from Richie M about five years ago.  Finally got it graded.  A bit surprising that it's the only copy on the census.  Kinda like the cover.  Only wish it had been a full cover without the left-hand preview panels.

IMG_1017.jpg

Don't be fussy i love it ,and it came unrestored so your lucky !

35 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Don't be fussy i love it ,and it came unrestored so your lucky !

True dat, although Richie M is pretty good about disclosing resto (or conservation).  Grading accurately is another matter!

Just now, Sqeggs said:

True dat, although Richie M is pretty good about disclosing resto (or conservation).  Grading accurately is another matter!

It was not restored but conserved those words haunt me :D

2 minutes ago, comicjack said:

It was not restored but conserved those words haunt me :D

Yeah, he was Mr. Tear Seal, but I think maybe he's stopped now that he's started submitting books to the other guys. 

8 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

someone bumped an old Tomorrows Treasures thread and posted an experience with him in comic general today....

Yeah, he's certainly an acquired taste.  I like him and like talking to him face-to-face.  Certainly has a lot stories about the hobby.  No such thing as a quick conversation with him, though.

Hard to know what to make of that post without seeing the books.  I would think most dealers would be reluctant to offer much on a collection of taped-up books unless it contained keys or other hot books.  I'm sure it can take forever and a day for a dealer to move such stuff.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Recent arrival :x

If anybody has more laying around she would like some sisters. :D

IMG_8717.JPG

There's room at my house, if she would like to make a (very) extended visit. :)

8 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

She and a friend can join in an exchange program for her slightly nicer looking sister anytime :baiting:

I want the whole family, I tell ya!  Everyone of 'em!

This one just back today and doesn't appear to have been entered in the census, yet (unless there's glitch).  Highest graded, but I don't think there are all that many people searching out and slabbing high-grade copies. 

2018-01-08-0001_zpswvuhqgur.JPG