• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,336 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2017 at 12:26 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

A friend of mine replaced staples in a book and submitted it...he got a blue label.  He must be good...

You need era authentic staples (different metals used and different weight staples) and you have to be very careful pulling the old staples and then putting the replacements back.  The hardest part is probably bending the replacement staples closed without damaging the paper.  You'd probably want to make a special frame to hold the book while you do all of that.

Personally, if the staples were that much of a problem I would remove them and leave them off entirely.  Paper hates staples...

2 hours ago, Yorick said:

You need era authentic staples (different metals used and different weight staples) and you have to be very careful pulling the old staples and then putting the replacements back.  The hardest part is probably bending the replacement staples closed without damaging the paper.  You'd probably want to make a special frame to hold the book while you do all of that.

Personally, if the staples were that much of a problem I would remove them and leave them off entirely.  Paper hates staples...

Well, I don't plan to do it...but i just wondered...(thumbsu

On 12/26/2017 at 1:10 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Love your signature Kat (thumbsu

The interesting thing to me here is that, yes there were two buyers who took this book into the stratosphere, but there were another few who saw a 2.5 ish copy to be worth over a grand. This is showing more people are coming to the Baker party. I was late to learn about Mr Baker's work outside Phantom Lady and have had to pay pretty steep prices myself for almost anything I have. 

It got to high too fast but when it first showed up I considered going as high as grand as a flip book. It has decent eye-appeal, and the "hold " cover is a classic. Given where some other low grade but high demand Bakers have ended up I figured this one had the potential to go pretty high. You don't see it for sale very often.

10 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It got to high too fast but when it first showed up I considered going as high as grand as a flip book. It has decent eye-appeal, and the "hold " cover is a classic. Given where some other low grade but high demand Bakers have ended up I figured this one had the potential to go pretty high. You don't see it for sale very often.

How does one view a sig line nowadays? They don't show up on my browser...I am using Chrome...but is there an option to always view them or just browser edition incompatibility? :sorry::preach:

On 12/29/2017 at 12:28 PM, Sqeggs said:

I agree.  The way they hammer water stains --even teeny tiny ones -- is my biggest objection by far to their current grading standards.  My second biggest is probably that they don't take off enough for rusty staples, even when there has been rust migration. 

There are a lot of things CGC is lenient on that I don't always agree with: foxing, scribbling on covers, some production defects, chipping, tanning, tape, and tape pulls. Despite their reputation for hammering stains, I've even seen a few water stained books I thought they were lenient on. Where I sometimes find them tougher than I would like is with non-color breaking creases. 

19 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It is not one of my favorites but I was in for $1200 or so just because it is so tough. 

19 minutes ago, rjpb said:

DS #28 is a textless cover I don't recall seeing before. Is it scarcer than most?

You better go take a peek at the Grand Comicbook Database.  Wonderful reference with images of every cover in a series.  Great way to see which Baker covers should top your list!

On 12/31/2017 at 8:44 PM, PeterPark said:

How does one view a sig line nowadays? They don't show up on my browser...I am using Chrome...but is there an option to always view them or just browser edition incompatibility? :sorry::preach:

Go into your "settings" and move the slider thingy for showing sig lines.  It will be under "signature" settings.  Mine's the best... lol

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

47 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Go into your "settings" and move the slider thingy for showing sig lines.  It will be under "signature" settings.  Mine's the best... lol

Is that the line under your screen name that says "member"? :grin:

55 minutes ago, RICK STARR said:

Well, sending out this batch to CGC this week. Decided not to fast track and just have patience for a 2 month wait.

predict: 5.5-6.0

5a4e9463bdbde_GCE15.thumb.jpg.f8b2cdff77b2ee7afe92a0ce5d2af4c8.jpg

predict:  4.5-5.0

5a4e946bb6a24_TEENROMANCE42(2).thumb.jpg.99dc1b63e6c42856d553f42d634e46ae.jpg

predict: 6.5     no enhancing the scan here, just brilliant colors on this copy

5a4e945c11cda_DIARYSECT27.thumb.jpg.e1a3d675fed111009864c687bdb496f6.jpg

predict: 6.0-6.5

5a4e947281cc8_TRUELOVEPICT10.thumb.jpg.0996e40cdb96c1ce3ed85469e686baed.jpg

predict: 8.0   very nice copy

5a4e94510a622_APC23.thumb.jpg.adb8cd3107263d74cf9110222e2d40ae.jpg

What beautiful copies!

Ken

1 hour ago, RICK STARR said:

5a4e946bb6a24_TEENROMANCE42(2).thumb.jpg.99dc1b63e6c42856d553f42d634e46ae.jpg

Wow, a totally sensational array of books! The only thing that keeps popping into my head about Baker is that his teen-agers seldom look like teen-agers. That's something a lot of artists seemed to have a problem with - even on a lot of Feldsteins serious romance covers the people look mature, and forget about Kirby!!

Now I'm scratching my head trying to think who drew realistic looking younger people?  hm

Some of those belong in the 6 day submission tier!  GCE15 and DS27 :luhv:

Now I'm going to have to send some books in.  I need to maintain my number one spots on all the registry Baker sets!

49 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Some of those belong in the 6 day submission tier!  GCE15 and DS27 :luhv:

Now I'm going to have to send some books in.  I need to maintain my number one spots on all the registry Baker sets!

Excuse me  :taptaptap:

I have 3 number ones. 

Diary Secrets , Pictorial Romances and WTR. :acclaim:

CGC is so expense now, it's ridiculous.  I 'm in no hurry to get them back. I'll probably submit another batch next month.

Hmm.., I 'll have to re-check to see where I have to catch up to, Yorick. :grin:

5a4eb83bab23f_TEENTEMPTS8.thumb.jpg.b10bfb007a2833f74cb7b82b555b7d1b.jpg

5a4eb8418af08_TEENTEMPTS9.thumb.jpg.3df18790c1ad7a088a7426708c37c1b7.jpg

5a4eb80976e1b_PICTROM24.thumb.jpg.6d1c9d21595e7aa74f33ac917d6df68f.jpg