• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,334 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

One more high grade Baker non romance that I got for less than guide ... just need a better copy of #3 now and I might be able to lay claim to having the finest WBT run outside of Sqeggs Manor... 

wbt1.jpg

You're on fire now:applause:congrats!

(i hear each book has its own shelf space for viewing enjoyment at Sqeegs Manor :gossip: )

6 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

How would they know if staples had been replaced?

Usually there's rust migration on the paper. If the staple looks clean with rust on paper around it, that's a clue. A friend asked me my opinion on a book he had on loan from the dealer. I looked and said the one staple (Timely) had been replaced. He bought it, got it graded, and it came back staple replaced. He returned it to the dealer.

16 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

A lot of the “D” copies I have owned had rusty staples.  

A lot have foxing as well.  Moving them to the garage after the theft hurt the condition of many copies. 

6 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Usually there's rust migration on the paper. If the staple looks clean with rust on paper around it, that's a clue. A friend asked me my opinion on a book he had on loan from the dealer. I looked and said the one staple (Timely) had been replaced. He bought it, got it graded, and it came back staple replaced. He returned it to the dealer.

Thanks.  What if there was no rust on the paper and the staple did not look "new"?

12 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
7 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Thanks.  What if there was no rust on the paper and the staple did not look "new"?

Then you may have sneaked one past the CGC graders, which I'm sure has happened.  I think I remember Overstreet saying at one time that replacing rusty staples with vintage staples didn't constitute restoration, but CGC has explicitly ruled that out -- no blue label for a book with replaced staples. 

1 minute ago, Dayzen said:

I just picked this up. How many of these do you see in the wild? I think there is only 1 in the census. Got to love this baker. 

1FBDAA14-4DD4-4CFB-8AA2-CD028B30E4D8.thumb.jpeg.19e0ab6d73e9abcbc1d44f35ecbde61b.jpeg

Very nice!  Definitely a tough book. 

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

All right then look for widening in the holes where the staples go. It isn't tight after you take out and replace staples, although I'm sure they're working on it.

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

A friend of mine replaced staples in a book and submitted it...he got a blue label.  He must be good...

I'm sure it happens and, as I mentioned, I believe Overstreet's old grading guide allowed it so long as the staples were vintage.  I would guess even the occasional married cover or cf gets missed, although, obviously, it would be harder to pull one of those off.  Not that us upstanding folks would ever try such a thing! :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm sure it happens and, as I mentioned, I believe Overstreet's old grading guide allowed it so long as the staples were vintage.  I would guess even the occasional married cover or cf gets missed, although, obviously, it would be harder to pull one of those off.  Not that us upstanding folks would ever try such a thing! :ph34r:

Oh, I forgot...it was a married cover too... doh!

1 minute ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Oh, I forgot...it was a married cover too... doh!

They probably also missed that it was a reprint of the Canadian version. :insane: