• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,592 posts in this topic

You don't see this one come up often for sale.

img127.jpg

The highest graded...the ONLY graded...Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9. Not often seen is right, more like never! And that is one heck of a nicely presenting 4.0. Graded back in '08 - was that your submit, Joanna?

Those chuckleheads in Sarasota can't seem to keep these titles straight btw. It's Teen-Age Diary Secrets, of course, not Diary Secrets. And to add insult to injury, it is a Baker cover for which cgc didn't credit him on the label. The only Baker cover of the run for this 6 issue title. True, it's not an original cover - it's a blowup of an interior panel. Don't ask me from which story though. For that we'd need to have an open copy of the book. Anyone?

Also, interestingly enough, this issue is an all Baker reprint, 68 big pages in a little digest format, and it's an exact reprint page for page of Teen-Age Diary Secrets #7.

I posted this I think a couple years ago but here is my WR run. WRGroup.jpg

That is one sweet full run, 18 for 18, man oh man. A labor of love, as we all know too well. (worship)

If I'm dreaming, don't wake me up.

"The collectors were nestled all snug in their beds

While visions of Baker books danced in their heads"

Whoa! What a great set of books! Every one of them looks like it may be among the best copies around. (worship)

img127.jpg

Those chuckleheads in Sarasota can't seem to keep these titles straight btw. It's Teen-Age Diary Secrets, of course, not Diary Secrets. And to add insult to injury, it is a Baker cover for which cgc didn't credit him on the label. The only Baker cover of the run for this 6 issue title.

Granted, St John made things confusing with the Blue Ribbon/Diary Secrets/Teen-Age Diary Secrets naming but CGC plays such a key role in the hobby these days that it's a shame they won't take the pains to get these things right. A key problem is that it screws up the census. Remember the misspelled CL 25 from a couple of months ago?

There are problems with other titles as well. The pre-WDC&S Mickey Mouse Magazine is all bollixed up on the census. I picked up one a few months ago in a CLink auction. It was supposed to be the only graded copy in the census ... except that it wasn't once you figured out that other copies had been misnamed on the census. End of rantrant

Back on point: Wonderful copy of a book I have never seen. (thumbs u

One of my favorite Baker covers..

img047.jpg

I agree. Nice copy of a tough book. All the CL covers are great. I was lucky to pick up a VG copy of CL 26 pretty cheap a few months ago.

Whoa! What a great set of books! Every one of them looks like it may be among the best copies around. (worship)

It's a mixed bag of grades. The most difficult that I found was WR3. The copy I have is a detached cover.

img127.jpg

The highest graded...the ONLY graded...Teen-Age Diary Secrets 9. Not often seen is right, more like never! And that is one heck of a nicely presenting 4.0. Graded back in '08 - was that your submit, Joanna?

Those chuckleheads in Sarasota can't seem to keep these titles straight btw. It's Teen-Age Diary Secrets, of course, not Diary Secrets. And to add insult to injury, it is a Baker cover for which cgc didn't credit him on the label. The only Baker cover of the run for this 6 issue title. True, it's not an original cover - it's a blowup of an interior panel. Don't ask me from which story though. For that we'd need to have an open copy of the book. Anyone?

Also, interestingly enough, this issue is an all Baker reprint, 68 big pages in a little digest format, and it's an exact reprint page for page of Teen-Age Diary Secrets #7.

I know Tomorrow's Treasures had (has) a copy but I think there are seal tears in the interior so it wouldn't get a blue label. I did have this slabbed. It is the same interior of 7. I don't recall which St. John issue this panel originally appeared in. I once photographed it but neglected to mark it or remember which original issue this story was from. I also have 7 which I got from a fellow board member. Also, I think there was a thread once going where we were trying to figure out the digests. I think what happened with these is that the digests were not a hit so they had a bunch of stock left over from 7 and just stapled a new cover for 9. Recycle and reuse!

It's a mixed bag of grades. The most difficult that I found was WR3. The copy I have is a detached cover.

I'm missing that one (and several others). Most of them seem pretty scarce, with the possible exception of 18. That has only two slabbed copies, but there seem to be low-grade raw copies around. 3, 9, 12, 15, and 16 all have just one slabbed copy. I'll hazard a guess that you may have one of the few -- perhaps, the only -- complete set. (Although Dr. Love and Bumble Kitty, among others, have some great books up their sleeves!)

img127.jpg

I know Tomorrow's Treasures had (has) a copy but I think there are seal tears in the interior so it wouldn't get a blue label. I did have this slabbed. It is the same interior of 7. I don't recall which St. John issue this panel originally appeared in. I once photographed it but neglected to mark it or remember which original issue this story was from. I also have 7 which I got from a fellow board member. Also, I think there was a thread once going where we were trying to figure out the digests. I think what happened with these is that the digests were not a hit so they had a bunch of stock left over from 7 and just stapled a new cover for 9. Recycle and reuse!

I bought Richie"s copy. There aren't any others around!

I am only missing WR # 14, at this point. Missed out on a recent sale of on Ebay.

You have a beautiful set,Joanna. Eh, WR that is...

img127.jpg

I am only missing WR # 14, at this point. Missed out on a recent sale of on Ebay.

Out of all St. John's you are only missing WR 14? This would be amazing.

img127.jpg

So, that's where it went. I was dumb enough to make him an offer on it instead of just buying it outright! :pullhair: