• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,588 posts in this topic

The True Love Pictorial 11 going for $400 is crazy. There was just one back a year or two ago that went for around $50. I'd say SparkleCity did well with the Bakers.

I paid $300.00 for my copy 5 years ago. Just mid-grade. Maybe I was ahead of the curve with stupid prices.

I bought mine just after seeing yours in person and getting inspired - I think I paid about the same for mine - possibly just a little more.

One of my favourite GGA books that I own. It's just terrific.

one of the best of his covers IMO

Yup.

Now I really regret selling my CGC 6.0 doh! But it went to a great home!

(thumbs u

The True Love Pictorial 11 going for $400 is crazy. There was just one back a year or two ago that went for around $50. I'd say SparkleCity did well with the Bakers.

I paid $300.00 for my copy 5 years ago. Just mid-grade. Maybe I was ahead of the curve with stupid prices.

I bought mine just after seeing yours in person and getting inspired - I think I paid about the same for mine - possibly just a little more.

One of my favourite GGA books that I own. It's just terrific.

one of the best of his covers IMO

Yup.

Aaahh, Superninjamaster. Those were the days.

Speaking of Sparkle City ... apparently no auctions this week. Seems odd. [/quote

How can we get our fix?

No worries! We're experimenting with a Wednesday to Wednesday auction cycle.

We'll have a fresh batch of books going live tomorrow night.

Speaking of Sparkle City ... apparently no auctions this week. Seems odd. [/quote

How can we get our fix?

(thumbs u

How can we get our fix?

(thumbs u

:applause:

comixnoir: Here are some "Baker" OA on the current Heritage weekly.

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10534

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10533

Anyone else think they're out to lunch on the artist credit of these stories?

This look like John Thornton pencils. I hope HA did research before naming this as Matt Baker OA.

Neither the recent book on Baker nor Overstreet credits either of these stories to Baker. Makes you wonder where the attribution came from.

Certainly, they don't look like Baker to me. Other non-Baker Iger shop material seems closer to his work than either of these stories do.

I don't see Baker mentioned in these listings... hm

They revised the listings to drop the reference to Baker. I presume they will allow the bidders to cancel without prejudice, although maybe those are decent prices for complete romance stories, even if the artist is now unnamed. (shrug)

^^ i wonder is this thread was the cause of the change. HA is lurking :pullhair:

Edited by kat123

This look like John Thornton pencils. I hope HA did research before naming this as Matt Baker OA.

Neither the recent book on Baker nor Overstreet credits either of these stories to Baker. Makes you wonder where the attribution came from.

Certainly, they don't look like Baker to me. Other non-Baker Iger shop material seems closer to his work than either of these stories do.

They revised the listings to drop the reference to Baker. I presume they will allow the bidders to cancel without prejudice, although maybe those are decent prices for complete romance stories, even if the artist is now unnamed. (shrug)

^^ i wonder is this thread was the cause of the change. HA is lurking :pullhair:

I think so.

The fans always know more than the pros. Anybody who'd have won that thinking it was Baker, would have been deceived.

I think so.

The fans always know more than the pros. Anybody who'd have won that thinking it was Baker, would have been deceived.

Baker thread rulz! :sumo:

Spoiler alert.

Remember this book from the March Baker extravaganza? Hammered at $2188.

CinderellaLove25f_1135326006_zps5b6dc34b.jpg

CinderellaLove25b_1135326006_zps894a3500.jpg

Well this 6.0 is gone from the census. And a new 7.5 (as in new highest graded, in a big way) has been added to the rolls. Exit question: can this book have been pressed/dry cleaned into a 7.5 slab?

Don't look at me, it aint my book. If I'm right about this, we'll probably see it soon enough back on the market. Those who got beat out on this one before might get another shot at this uber Baker grail. That's the one problem with going deep pockets for a midgrade copy - with Baker, you never know if all it'll do is drive the higher grade copies, the ones you really want to pay the big bucks for, out from hiding. And then there's always the Mile High Bakers waiting to get slabbed, a matter of when, not if.

btw, according to Chuck's catalog, there was no Mile High #25. Most of the Church Cinderella Loves were low grade (vg, even g!). That's no guarantee, but as none of the guys who had access before the public were probably into romance, the odds are there.

Spoiler alert.

Remember this book from the March Baker extravaganza? Hammered at $2188.

CinderellaLove25f_1135326006_zps5b6dc34b.jpg

CinderellaLove25b_1135326006_zps894a3500.jpg

Well this 6.0 is gone from the census. And a new 7.5 (as in new highest graded, in a big way) has been added to the rolls. Exit question: can this book have been pressed/dry cleaned into a 7.5 slab?

Don't look at me, it aint my book. If I'm right about this, we'll probably see it soon enough back on the market. Those who got beat out on this one before might get another shot at this uber Baker grail. That's the one problem with going deep pockets for a midgrade copy - with Baker, you never know if all it'll do is drive the higher grade copies, the ones you really want to pay the big bucks for, out from hiding. And then there's always the Mile High Bakers waiting to get slabbed, a matter of when, not if.

btw, according to Chuck's catalog, there was no Mile High #25. Most of the Church Cinderella Loves were low grade (vg, even g!). That's no guarantee, but as none of the guys who had access before the public were probably into romance, the odds are there.

If you look very closely at the CGC label, you'll note that "Cinderella" has been misspelled "Cindrella". The book is still in the census, but to find it you need to enter the incorrectly spelled title!

lol that is the funniest thing...staring me right in the face! I wouldn't have caught that by myself in ten thousand years.

It took me quite a while to catch it, myself. The eye is quickly drawn away from the label and down to the spectacular artwork beneath it.

lol that is the funniest thing...staring me right in the face! I wouldn't have caught that by myself in ten thousand years.

It took me quite a while to catch it, myself. The eye is quickly drawn away from the label and down to the spectacular artwork beneath it.

Great catch! Does CGC ever correct the census in cases like this? I assume that if the owner of the book sent it in they would print a new label and correct the census, but do they respond to people pointing out errors without owning the book involved?

It would be nice to get his one changed since this is such an important book (at least to us!).

I've seen other errors. For instance, the census entries for Mickey Mouse Magazine were fouled up last time I checked.

That doesn't mean that this book wasn't de slabbed and upgraded to a 7.5 with a new label and correct spelling. At least it has the distinguishing stamp on the back.

Ken

I wonder how many high grade Church copies of Baker romance books there actually are, given that he apparently bought many (most?) of them second hand? Given the low repute romance comics had when the collection was first sold off, it wouldn't be surprising if many of the books are no longer identifiable as Church copies. Perhaps many of us own some and don't know it! :D

Metro currently has a Church copy of Exotic Romances 30. Obviously, not one of the more coveted Bakers. They have acquired but not yet posted a raw copy of Pictorial Romances 16, which they have graded as a 8.5. There are three higher on the census.