• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2017 at 11:23 PM, kat123 said:
On 3/17/2017 at 5:54 PM, Inaflash said:

Here's my copy. Just one little problem.

http://image.jpg2_zps4vxzstfp.jpg

I miss my copy, looks you crack it open from its CGC case.

I wonder if this might be the Crippen copy?  Dr Love, if you are out there, any thoughts? hm

48 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I wonder if this might be the Crippen copy?  Dr Love, if you are out there, any thoughts? hm

If it were the D copy, couldn't you still find the original listing on Heritage?

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

sorry no D copy, Ken & Ron bought my copies of GCE#13&#15 both purchase many years back on Ebay- same romance lot. both were original owner copies found on very old trunk in someone's attic. excellent colors perfect corners only defect termites got to the books. :cry:

48 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

If it were the D copy, couldn't you still find the original listing on Heritage?

Two semi-rhetorical questions, no and yes.  And the 5.5 is a McLaughlin, btw.  What I don't know is if all McLaughlin romance were by definition Church books.  Chuck had the GCE 15 as a VG, and as he overgraded per the times and his inclination, I'm inclined to think the McLaughlin is not the Church.  But who knows.  Probably the guy(s) who have the rest of the Church romance.

Quick question, snap poll - how many Church romance do you think there are?  no cheating, your gut reaction.  And then, how many of those have been slabbed?  and who has the rest? 

26 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Two semi-rhetorical questions, no and yes.  And the 5.5 is a McLaughlin, btw.  What I don't know is if all McLaughlin romance were by definition Church books.  Chuck had the GCE 15 as a VG, and as he overgraded per the times and his inclination, I'm inclined to think the McLaughlin is not the Church.  But who knows.  Probably the guy(s) who have the rest of the Church romance.

Quick question, snap poll - how many Church romance do you think there are?  no cheating, your gut reaction.  And then, how many of those have been slabbed?  and who has the rest? 

Not very many Church romance (less than two dozen?)... and only about half a dozen slabbed.  Am I close?  (That guess was for St. John romance.  And I'll be the first to admit- I'm probably the last person you should ask.)

Edited by 29dukedog

4 hours ago, kat123 said:

sorry no D copy, Ken & Ron bought my copies of GCE#13&#15 both purchase many years back on Ebay- same romance lot. both were original owner copies found on very old trunk in someone's attic. excellent colors perfect corners only defect termites got to the books. :cry:

Aaahh no wonder the GCE 15 looked familiar. Bug chews in the same corner as my GCE 13. Thanks for the back story Will.

9 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Aaahh no wonder the GCE 15 looked familiar. Bug chews in the same corner as my GCE 13. Thanks for the back story Will.

at one point I had 4 copies of GCE#15 my highest graded was CGC 4.5 I traded that copy to Joanna :foryou: she happily owns it.

17 hours ago, Dr. Love said:
18 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I probably should know the answer to this, but by the time romance got rolling, Edgar wasn't still trying to buy every book on the stands, was he? And, of course, whether he was or not, St John's distribution problems probably meant many of them didn't make it to the newsstands in Denver. 

I know there is a boardie who has posted that he owns the TAR 2 and 3 Church copies sold on Heritage 10 years ago (and which were not included in Chuck's catalog).  Not sure whether he's had them graded.  I think my only St John Church is WTR 7 unless I'm forgetting something.

I'll hazard a guess that slabbed and unslabbed, there are 20 known Church copies of St John romance books. 

18 hours ago, kat123 said:
19 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

So, maybe the Crippen copy is still lurking out there somewhere.  Probably the best chance we've got for a high-grade copy of GCE 15 to have survived.

Interesting sale of a raw copy of It Rhymes with Lust on eBay last night.  Anyone here nab it?

I was the underbidder (there were only two bidders).  Nice looking copy, but with the tape pull or whatever the paper loss is on the front cover, I doubt it will grade as a VF, which was the seller's grade.  My guess is that it will come back a 6.0 max.  Still, the winner may have gotten a pretty decent deal.  I just wasn't willing to go higher when buying raw on eBay.

I think there may have been a tear seal on that one too.  There was a time when It Rhymes with Lust was considered one of the important Baker grails, historically significant as it's considered to be the first graphic novel.  It gets very little traction on this thread though.