• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,350 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Yorick said:

Fantastic!  Think it'll grade that high with the roughed/impacted base?  I got a TAR40 back from CGC last year that I thought was going to earn about the same (6 - 7) and they didn't seem to think so.  Here, what do you think?

Teen-Age Romances 40 (546x800).jpg

I think it looks nice enough to safely deduce that it's one of the two highest graded copies in the census; a 5.0.  Am I a genius?  No, but I can play one on TV.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

No spine split.  Really looked nice in hand.  Here are the graders notes:

fingerprints right center of front cover
light creasing to cover
light shadow full bottom of back cover
medium stain right top of back cover

The back cover doesn't actually look that bad to me.  Enough dings, though, to gradually pull the grade down, and I guess the word "stain" has become like the black spot in old pirate movies.:)

2d23de03-7c15-470c-8210-c10a3f29aa20_zps

CGC absolutely crushes on stains or any appearance that anything wet ever touched a book. I have some books with nearly invisible "stains" that look 8.5 that got 5.0. It seems like they would rather have a chunk out of the cover.

29 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Has this thread done a "top ten Baker covers" yet?  If yes, what page do I go to?  If no, what are you waiting for?

It's been done at least once or thrice, but with an all new page count... and the glorious days all running together the way they do... who can remember where or when?  Besides, why haven't you already started back at the very beginning of the thread, and gotten yourself all caught up?

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:

It's been done at least once or thrice, but with an all new page count... and the glorious days all running together the way they do... who can remember where or when?  Besides, why haven't you already started back at the very beginning of the thread, and gotten yourself all caught up?

I suppose its worth it now that the older posted images are loading.  So much to catch up on....

How about that: only one Authentic Police Cases #38 on the census.

I'm going to submit a batch of Bakers, and I'm sending an APC38 within it.  Who wants to give it a grade based on a low resolution front cover only scan?

APC38 (582x800).jpg

8 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I suppose its worth it now that the older posted images are loading.  So much to catch up on....

"You shall see thangs, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... a cow... on the roof of a cotton house, ha. And, oh, so many startlements. I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the obstacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward. Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." 

6 hours ago, Yorick said:

I'm going to submit a batch of Bakers, and I'm sending an APC38 within it.  Who wants to give it a grade based on a low resolution front cover only scan?

APC38 (582x800).jpg

Gorgeous looking copy no matter what the grade. 

Ken

6 hours ago, Yorick said:

APC38 (582x800).jpg

I'll play:  6.5 OW-W (Yes, I do have x-ray vision that I use to determine pq. :))

10 hours ago, Yorick said:

APC38 (582x800).jpg

Purdy/Very Purdy

6 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

For us relative Baker noobs could there be a top 10 Baker discussion? Would it be exclusive to romance in this thread? Should it be a new thread? 

Thanks for your consideration Baker sages. 

Maybe a new thread so that it doesn't need to strictly be "Baker Romance"?  I mean, the APC series does not exactly work here.  That Amazing Ghost Stories 14 might be a contender...  What about Nightmare?  Not that it's cover work, but I am really loving those Nugget postings over in the Rarest Romance thread.

Just now, Yorick said:

Maybe a new thread so that it doesn't need to strictly be "Baker Romance"?  I mean, the APC series does not exactly work here.  That Amazing Ghost Stories 14 might be a contender...  What about Nightmare?  Not that it's cover work, but I am really loving those Nugget postings over in the Rarest Romance thread.

I will start it now- see if anyone helps out.

I don't understand the resistance to posting other genres of Baker books in the "romance" thread.  I like 'em all and just prefer going to this thread to see all that Baker goodness no matter what genre. And just to irritate you Baker "romance only" fans, I give you this. I doubt many (if any even know about this. It's ain't even a comic book or magazine but sure cool.

And before anyone asks, ferget about it. It's mine and not "for sale". Go out and find yer own!

atomcbombpin_zpsb4a1e979.jpg

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don't understand the resistance to posting other genres of Baker books in the "romance" thread.  I like 'em all and just prefer going to this thread to see all that Baker goodness no matter what genre. And just to irritate you Baker "romance only" fans, I give you this. I doubt many (if any even know about this. It's ain't even a comic book or magazine but sure cool.

And before anyone asks, ferget about it. It's mine and not "for sale". Go out and find yer own!

atomcbombpin_zpsb4a1e979.jpg

Do you know anything about the origin/authenticity of that button?  I mean, is it old?  Buttons like that aren't too difficult to make.

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Do you know anything about the origin/authenticity of that button?  I mean, is it old?  Buttons like that aren't too difficult to make.

I've been collecting them for over 40 years Duke. Believe me, it's old and genuine. If you know what you are doing, it's pretty easy to tell. Besides, why would anybody repro this? Very few people even know what it is. Ted Hake has had 2 I think ever. I bought this one from him. He thought as did, I it was some kind of a superhero until I found this article in Alter Ego I believe, on Baker. I had to show him this article to confirm it.

7 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I've been collecting them for over 40 years Duke. Believe me, it's old and genuine. If you know what you are doing, it's pretty easy to tell. Besides, why would anybody repro this? Very few people even know what it is. Ted Hake has had 2 I think ever. I bought this one from him. He thought as did, I it was some kind of a superhero until I found this article in Alter Ego I believe, on Baker. I had to show him this article to confirm it.

That's really cool, then.  Yeah, why indeed would someone make a repro button using a character so obscure and unknown?  That's more what I was wondering- why did they?  Originally.  Was there a club?  Was it a promo of some kind?  That's the story I wondered about.

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

That's really cool, then.  Yeah, why indeed would someone make a repro button using a character so obscure and unknown?  That's more what I was wondering- why did they?  Originally.  Was there a club?  Was it a promo of some kind?  That's the story I wondered about.

Read the article and you will know all I know. I remember seeing the article and the light came on. I pulled out this button and there it was. Very few people would probably want it. Even the folks here who appreciate Matt's work. I'm happy as heck to own one.

I posted this in my journal but thought it might be of interest to people here.  Thanks for reading.

Local Northern Virginia Con -- Major Matt Baker Additions

Today I went to a local con in Tyson's Corner Va.  The big draw was an appearance by Neal Adams.  Each autograph was $30 and it seemed like there were lots of people getting Neal's signature.  It was kinda cool to have him appear locally.  I got close enough to get this picture.  He seemed to be enjoying himself and was taking time chatting with fans. 

IMG_0441_zpswwhgct7r.jpg

The main reason I went to the con was to meet with a boardie who recently PM'd me about Bakers he had for sale.  We agreed to meet right before the con opening at 10am.  He gave me a list of the books he was bringing, but I didn't have any pictures, conditions or prices.  So I was cautiously optimistic but was prepared to go away empty handed.  Well, the boardie -- and he asked me not to reveal his secret identity -- had some good stuff.  He had 5 issues for sale, including 2 copies of 2 of them.  I ended up buying 4, including the best copies of the 2 duplicates.  This first one is probably the most common, Wartime Romances 4.  There's a lower grade copy on eBay right now for $175.  This one has creases along the spine but otherwise is pretty clean.

Wartime%20Romances%204%20325_zpskpt8oyrk

This next one, Teen-Age Romances 36, is one of my favorite Baker covers. It's certainly not high grade, but it presents well and easily satisfies my bar for condition. 

Teen-Age%20Romances%2036%20325_zpsl8kyfd

It was the next 2 comics that got me excited.  True Love Pictorial 2 and Diary Secrets 13.  I don't often see TLP 2 and certainly not in this condition.  And, I think this is the first DS 13 I've ever seen.  I was already way over my comic budget for the month, but -- as I'm sure we've all experienced -- I was faced with either pulling the trigger on these comics or maybe waiting a long time before seeing them again, especially the last 2 in these conditions.  We negotiated price for a few minutes, and he gave me a little off, but essentially I paid his asking price.  The boardie didn't even bother going into the con.  I spent a little over an hour in the con and ended up picking up another low grade Baker.  I'll write about that in my next post.  Thanks for reading.

True%20Love%20Pictorial%202%20325_zpsxno

Diary%20Secrets%2013%20325_zpsbb8dlqip.j