• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,333 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

For a 'tall' issue, that's a beauty (a million times better than the beater Bob and I saw at WonderCon). 

I have a copy on hold via a dealer, but he can't find the book (still searching)! :frustrated:

Yep, most of my tall issues suffer blunt traumatic impact across the top where they didn't fit with the rest of the comics.  Not by my doing...

I bought a TAR44 off ebay for $100 many years ago, and the seller then couldn't find the book.  Money was fully refunded, but I still felt shorted.  Hope you get your copy!

10 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Yep, most of my tall issues suffer blunt traumatic impact across the top where they didn't fit with the rest of the comics.  Not by my doing...

I bought a TAR44 off ebay for $100 many years ago, and the seller then couldn't find the book.  Money was fully refunded, but I still felt shorted.  Hope you get your copy!

Thanks Evan - I do like the 'tall' issues, and the damage you describe is apparently rather common (all of my 'tall' books have the same impact stress).

Fingers remain crossed... :wishluck:

Anyone have a high grade TAR18?  I hope that mine will grade as high as 4.5!  I'm going to wait a long while though.  Nearly everything I got back from CGC was a full grade lower than I expected.  They're being real picky right now....

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Anyone have a high grade TAR18?  I hope that mine will grade as high as 4.5!  I'm going to wait a long while though.  Nearly everything I got back from CGC was a full grade lower than I expected.  They're being real picky right now....

I think mine could be pressed to a 5.0/5.5. I doubt there is a 7.0 or better. Not with that tall proportion. How many high grade Baker romances are there? Not many. When they show up, they are a freak of nature. To be treasured.

7 hours ago, Yorick said:

Census shows one 5.0 and no less than five 4.5s. Not to say there isn't a high-grade raw out there somewhere.

8 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Here's my TALL 18.

teen-age romances 18.jpg

Appears that it's not being held properly in the slab.  Looks -eyed.  Maybe another reason to send it in for a press and regrade.

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Appears that it's not being held properly in the slab.  Looks -eyed.  Maybe another reason to send it in for a press and regrade.

CGC should have centered it on the tray.  They did that to a couple of mine and now the display value is a bit less.  The slipping micro-chamber paper doesn't help with presentation either.  All in all, who cares?!!  IT'S A 4.5 BEAUTY!

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It is a toss up for me between these four for my favorite Baker romance cover :juggle:

I think the one I have the best copy of would come in 4th though.

IMG_1236.jpg

fc scan.jpg

fc.jpg

fc.jpg

That's a nice quad, Rick - CL 25 is my all-time favorite Baker cover, TLP 11 is second all-time, and the TAR 32 is probably a top ten. Good stuff. :) 

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

It is a toss up for me between these four for my favorite Baker romance cover :juggle:

I think the one I have the best copy of would come in 4th though.

IMG_1236.jpg

fc scan.jpg

fc.jpg

fc.jpg

Great set and certainly creme if the crop nominees (good eye). There was a beach cover subset(s) recently posted in the Teen Humor thread. Baker Romance had a few choice covers too in that field.

I don't own any Baker romance , but the cover that comes to mind is the 'hold ****' word balloon beach cover. What a slip past the censors piece. I have been out bid by plenty every rare instance it came to market. 

21 minutes ago, sagii said:

Great set and certainly creme if the crop nominees (good eye). There was a beach cover subset(s) recently posted in the Teen Humor thread. Baker Romance had a few choice covers too in that field.

I don't own any Baker romance , but the cover that comes to mind is the 'hold ****' word balloon beach cover. What a slip past the censors piece. I have been out bid by plenty every rare instance it came to market. 

Is it this one?

RAD419A920131122_121513_zpsrpyt9pxt.jpg

Had my EC romance books out today, I've been collecting them for a decade and still only half-way there.

Got me to thinking that Baker St, John romance issues have matched, and generally surpassed, the EC romance issues in price.

Just curious, how many Baker collectors here also pursue EC romance? hm 

Edited by sacentaur

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Had my EC romance books out today, I've been collecting them for a decade and still only half-way there.

Got me to thinking that Baker St, John romance issues have matched, and generally surpassed, the EC romance issues in price.

Just curious, how many Baker collectors here also pursue EC romance? hm 

I do, but only as targets of opportunity.  I believe that @edowens71 may have completed the run.

1 hour ago, edowens71 said:

Indeed...but, my success was only possible because I wasn't distracted by also trying to collect Baker :D

ECRomance.jpg

Tremendous run.  Great copies of tough books. (worship)(worship)

Now move on to Bakers! :)