• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,335 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I posted this in my journal but thought it might be of interest to people here.  Thanks for reading.

Local Northern Virginia Con -- Major Matt Baker Additions

Today I went to a local con in Tyson's Corner Va.  The big draw was an appearance by Neal Adams.  Each autograph was $30 and it seemed like there were lots of people getting Neal's signature.  It was kinda cool to have him appear locally.  I got close enough to get this picture.  He seemed to be enjoying himself and was taking time chatting with fans. 

IMG_0441_zpswwhgct7r.jpg

The main reason I went to the con was to meet with a boardie who recently PM'd me about Bakers he had for sale.  We agreed to meet right before the con opening at 10am.  He gave me a list of the books he was bringing, but I didn't have any pictures, conditions or prices.  So I was cautiously optimistic but was prepared to go away empty handed.  Well, the boardie -- and he asked me not to reveal his secret identity -- had some good stuff.  He had 5 issues for sale, including 2 copies of 2 of them.  I ended up buying 4, including the best copies of the 2 duplicates.  This first one is probably the most common, Wartime Romances 4.  There's a lower grade copy on eBay right now for $175.  This one has creases along the spine but otherwise is pretty clean.

Wartime%20Romances%204%20325_zpskpt8oyrk

This next one, Teen-Age Romances 36, is one of my favorite Baker covers. It's certainly not high grade, but it presents well and easily satisfies my bar for condition. 

Teen-Age%20Romances%2036%20325_zpsl8kyfd

It was the next 2 comics that got me excited.  True Love Pictorial 2 and Diary Secrets 13.  I don't often see TLP 2 and certainly not in this condition.  And, I think this is the first DS 13 I've ever seen.  I was already way over my comic budget for the month, but -- as I'm sure we've all experienced -- I was faced with either pulling the trigger on these comics or maybe waiting a long time before seeing them again, especially the last 2 in these conditions.  We negotiated price for a few minutes, and he gave me a little off, but essentially I paid his asking price.  The boardie didn't even bother going into the con.  I spent a little over an hour in the con and ended up picking up another low grade Baker.  I'll write about that in my next post.  Thanks for reading.

True%20Love%20Pictorial%202%20325_zpsxno

Diary%20Secrets%2013%20325_zpsbb8dlqip.j

Congrats!  Now tell us how much they cost...Inquiring minds want to know...hm

31 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

Congrats!  Now tell us how much they cost...Inquiring minds want to know...hm

I'm like you, I think it's interesting to the story to tell prices.  But I don't reveal prices on private deals like this, unless the seller gives me permission (and he didn't).  Especially since Baker collectors in the DC area can probably guess who the seller is.  In fact, the first dealer I talked to at the con (I showed him the books) correctly guessed who the seller is.

3 hours ago, n2wdw said:

I'm like you, I think it's interesting to the story to tell prices.  But I don't reveal prices on private deals like this, unless the seller gives me permission (and he didn't).  Especially since Baker collectors in the DC area can probably guess who the seller is.  In fact, the first dealer I talked to at the con (I showed him the books) correctly guessed who the seller is.

:sorry:

I didn't realize DS13 was so tough.  My copy is in the batch I just submitted to CGC.  Cover separated from lower staple, but presents very nicely.  I'll let everyone know what this submission batch grade out at when I know.  Throw some grades at me!

Diary Secrets 13 (582x800).jpg

6 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I didn't realize DS13 was so tough.  My copy is in the batch I just submitted to CGC.  Cover separated from lower staple, but presents very nicely.  I'll let everyone know what this submission batch grade out at when I know.  Throw some grades at me!

Diary Secrets 13 (582x800).jpg

Throw some grades at you?  Ok-  9.6... 2.5... 8.0... Third Grade... Eighth Grade... Kindergarten...

As Black History month closes today, a thread devoted to Matt Baker seems an appropriate place to post this reflection.  I am old enough to remember watching the original airing of the landmark tv mini-series, "Roots".  I've been watching it again this past week on the Sundance channel, and tonight they are finishing up with the subsequent mini-series, "Roots: The Next Generations", which aired two years after the first series, and which I did not see the first time around. 

On the surface, Roots is the story of an African American family and its long lineage.  It is the story of the struggle of African Americans everywhere to hold on to their pride and heritage, against unspeakable persecution and unimaginable atrocities.  Yet, underneath and through it all, while watching it I'm reminded so many times, and in so many ways, it is also an epic love story... a grand, cultural and multi-generational... "Negro Romances."    

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Strange that a guy as experienced as that seller wouldn't have had the book reslabbed before offering it.  Usually the turnaround time on reslabbing is pretty fast. 

Just now, Robot Man said:

What is the turn around time for GA books these days? I submitted my first book to CGC at Terry's show last weekend in June.

I'm hoping you mean January and not June.  Otherwise, call them first thing in the morning!

What tier did you submit under?  Standard is 15 (business days) and Economy is 40 days.  Supposedly they are on time, but I don't currently have anything there, so I can't judge.

If you submitted under your own member number, you can check the status online.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm hoping you mean January and not June.  Otherwise, call them first thing in the morning!

What tier did you submit under?  Standard is 15 (business days) and Economy is 40 days.  Supposedly they are on time, but I don't currently have anything there, so I can't judge.

If you submitted under your own member number, you can check the status online.

I meant January. I gave it to Joey for a little squish and he sent it in for me. I didn't want to bug him yet.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

I meant January. I gave it to Joey for a little squish and he sent it in for me. I didn't want to bug him yet.

Ah, that'll add to the wait.  Unless Joey's turnaround times have improved from the last time I used him, he probably hasn't gotten to your book yet since it's only been a bit more than a month.  He made need another month and then if you went Economy, it will probably be another eight weeks at CGC.  Then, if you're having it returned via registered mail, it may take another couple of weeks to mosey back to CA.

End of May  to mid-June maybe.  Knock five weeks off that if you ponied up for Standard.

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ah, that'll add to the wait.  Unless Joey's turnaround times have improved from the last time I used him, he probably hasn't gotten to your book yet since it's only been a bit more than a month.  He made need another month and then if you went Economy, it will probably be another eight weeks at CGC.  Then, if you're having it returned via registered mail, it may take another couple of weeks to mosey back to CA.

End of May  to mid-June maybe.  Knock five weeks off that if you ponied up for Standard.

He said he'd get back to me with charges so I'll just sit tight. I'm in no hurry just curious.

Just curious about Cgc slabbed copies of GCE12. Do they always end up in a magazine size slab?:cry: Talk about being torn in 2 between my biggest want and my collecting OCD. I can't own a big hunk a slab like that. They can't shoe horn that into a normal holder?:cloud9: