• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

First of all, I appreciate the Matt Baker inspiration insight! Other artists could have used the same source material, but their work would never compare to Matt's.

Now, some "value" discussion. There are 2 sales of what is apparently the same copy of Teen-Age Romances #3 on eBay during the past couple of months. Compare pics from both listings, and you'll notice that the wear and scratches are exactly the same, the most distinctive evidence being the scratches at the top center, down through the middle of the title logo.

Auction 1: Teen-Age Romances #3 closed for $151.45 (143.50 plus 7.95 shipping) on 2/5/14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNYARD-FIND-GOLDEN-AGE-TEEN-AGE-ROMANCES-3-MATT-BAKER-GGA-COVER-1949-NICE-/121265511444?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c3bfcdc14#ht_3305wt_1226

Auction 2: Sparkle City listed what is apparently the same book, newly-slabbed with a 5.0 grade, to end 3/26/14. It sold for $192.50 to i***n (who had bid on the book the 1st time but lost).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teen-Age-Romances-3-CGC-5-0-Matt-Baker-Cover-art-St-John-Golden-Age-Comic-/201056096476?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ecfe090dc#ht_3920wt_1168

The $ 41.05 difference barely paid for having the book CGC graded and shipped back-and-forth. In this example, at least, slabbing didn't result in the book suddenly multiplying in value.

In light of all the talk about soaring Baker prices, what do you think about this?

Sometimes you lose. Happens to anyone who flips books. A combination of overestimating the potential and getting the low end of what one might consider FMV when selling. At least in this case they still got more than had paid ( gross amount). I imagine that's not nearly as painful as going to the trouble of slabbing a book, getting a grade you expect, and getting less than you paid raw when you auction it off. Who knows, the book could show up again in six months and sell for twice as much. I get the impression Baker romance has more price volatility than a lot of other sub-genres.

(Sigh.) My least favorite aspect of collecting Bakers...

146148.jpg.053d6ce2176e83767f8c41ddc60ee566.jpg

First of all, I appreciate the Matt Baker inspiration insight! Other artists could have used the same source material, but their work would never compare to Matt's.

Now, some "value" discussion. There are 2 sales of what is apparently the same copy of Teen-Age Romances #3 on eBay during the past couple of months. Compare pics from both listings, and you'll notice that the wear and scratches are exactly the same, the most distinctive evidence being the scratches at the top center, down through the middle of the title logo.

Auction 1: Teen-Age Romances #3 closed for $151.45 (143.50 plus 7.95 shipping) on 2/5/14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BARNYARD-FIND-GOLDEN-AGE-TEEN-AGE-ROMANCES-3-MATT-BAKER-GGA-COVER-1949-NICE-/121265511444?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c3bfcdc14#ht_3305wt_1226

Auction 2: Sparkle City listed what is apparently the same book, newly-slabbed with a 5.0 grade, to end 3/26/14. It sold for $192.50 to i***n (who had bid on the book the 1st time but lost).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teen-Age-Romances-3-CGC-5-0-Matt-Baker-Cover-art-St-John-Golden-Age-Comic-/201056096476?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ecfe090dc#ht_3920wt_1168

The $ 41.05 difference barely paid for having the book CGC graded and shipped back-and-forth. In this example, at least, slabbing didn't result in the book suddenly multiplying in value.

In light of all the talk about soaring Baker prices, what do you think about this?

Sometimes you lose. Happens to anyone who flips books. A combination of overestimating the potential and getting the low end of what one might consider FMV when selling. At least in this case they still got more than had paid ( gross amount). I imagine that's not nearly as painful as going to the trouble of slabbing a book, getting a grade you expect, and getting less than you paid raw when you auction it off. Who knows, the book could show up again in six months and sell for twice as much. I get the impression Baker romance has more price volatility than a lot of other sub-genres.

(Sigh.) My least favorite aspect of collecting Bakers...

lol

Are you guys taking turns? :taptaptap:

That's right. It's a huge conspiracy.

You guys would never try this if Brian were still around! :sumo:

What happened to Brian ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :o

I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :o

I told you, it's a conspiracy. Brian figured it out, so we had to... take care of him.

Oh, learned ones, I have a question. What would you say are the five toughest issues of Teen-Age Romances to find? hm

The last five or six issues are considered scarce, but I've seen a good number of copies of 40 and 43. Of those final issues, 45 is probably the toughest, followed by 41, 42, and 44.

Other scarce issues include 9 through 12, and 17, 19, 31, 32, and 35.

I would say 44, 45, are the toughest followed by 9, 17 and 41.

I never had a 44 or 41. But I've had most of the other issues at one time or another.

It seems as if early (post-photo covers) and late are where most of the toughies are. I wonder if something was going on that led St John to switch from the photo covers of issues 4 to 8 (all of which seem readily available) to line draw covers? Perhaps he also cut back on print runs or had trouble with distribution or both. I've also been struggling with 11, 12, and 13.

Towards the end of the run I would guess they may again have had low print runs or distribution problems. 40 does seem to be around. There's been one on eBay (not sure if it's still there) for a long time. I picked up a copy of 42 with a loose cover. Unfortunately, it turned out that not only was the cover loose but the interior was from another book. :pullhair:

Quote:

"I told you, it's a conspiracy. Brian figured it out, so we had to... take care of him."

lol Brian is here, but Brian has been out of town for awhile and does not look at computers while he is gone. This is a busy work time of year for me and that means travel. I have no idea what conspiracy I missed (will have to read about that), but I've been way too busy to even think of Baker books for the last month. Carry on...

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

Edited by tricolorbrian

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

You're a herpetologist, too? Cool. I currently have an adult pair of Striped Mud turtles! Raised them from hatchlings.