• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,376 posts in this topic

I posted this pix while back on thread art behind glass. This crazy prices on Baker books, how about an Original pg from Baker Romance book will go for??

IMG_20130211_201924_zps6c1645ef.jpg

Nice! :applause:

What's the one on the left from? hm

As a newbie who just wants to build a decent little Matt Baker collection, my observation is that the high prices on recent eBay Baker books are being driven by just a few people.

A quick look at the bid history on a few recent eBay auctions shows that most bidders drop out at just barely above guide...and then 2 or 3 people push the bidding to multiples of guide.

This makes it tough for someone like me to build a collection. And people hoarding multiple copies of certain issues doesn't help, either.

I don't know about everyone else here, but one reason I collect Matt Baker's work is that he has been overlooked and should be exalted. Whenever I'm lucky enough to get a new Baker book, I share the art with everyone I know. Even my friends who don't collect comics think Matt Baker is cool.

WIth that same thought in mind, as I gain better-condition copies of certain issues, rather than horde multiples, I plan to put my lesser-condition books up for auction so others can collect and enjoy Matt Baker, too.

It appears that Baker books are at a high right now, due to a certain few people. If those people are bidding on books they need for their collection, that's great. If those people are simply speculators, trying to hoard great books that others could enjoy, that's not cool.

I used to sell my copies to Showcase Comics out on the Philly mainline but seldom found duplicates. NO Hoarding. I guess I was lucky to find what I did. Dealers that used to dump their romance comics are putting them on ebay to stimulate astronomical bidding wars. :slapfight:

TAR#17 inks Ray Osrin

After Baker his best inker. Congratulations!

Also Frank Giusto one his best inkers.

List of Matt Baker inkers:

Ray Osrin

Frank Giusto

Al Feldstein

Al Williamson

Jack Kamen

John Forte

Vince Colleta

Any more.....?

TAR#17 inks Ray Osrin

After Baker his best inker. Congratulations!

+1. LOVE Osrin. He left funny books in the early 60's and became editorial cartoonist for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, where his political cartoons appeared daily for more than 30 years. Our loss, Cleveland's gain. He passed away in 2001.

Will, those are beautiful pages. OA. A whole other world. Talk about $. I mean the TAR is sweet, don't get me wrong, but the Crown Comics 4 (yes?) splash - (worship)(worship)(worship)

Is that a 50K page, or more? Shoot, if a Kirby interior page on FF is 30-35K, is that kind of money translatable to GA Baker art? I'm asking, I have no clue.

50k maybe in 10yrs, who knows. Thanks to those 2 Alter Ego magazines collectors and non-collectors are now paying more attention to Matt Baker. All his stuff is starting to climb in value.

Since I join this boards, I only met 2 boardies that have Baker originals.

You've done an amazing job of acquiring those gems. My theory is St. John's OA didn't survive due to the company collapse. They couldn't afford to warehouse all those pages, so they were destroyed. :(

Edited by comicnoir

I hope ur wrong, and hope someone finds a St John OA collection.

If I own 3 St John originals I know more should be out there waiting to be discover.

I hope you are right. I would have to guess that some still exists as original artwork seems to come out of the woodwork, especially as prices start to rise. Thanks for sharing some of your beautiful pieces!

It's just so little has surfaced in all these years. Not even one St. John's cover. Baker art from other publishers shows up. I don't mean to be a downer, but I've been waiting to see some to appear for a long time. Atlas Baker romance shows up a lot.

It's just so little has surfaced in all these years. Not even one St. John's cover. Baker art from other publishers shows up. I don't mean to be a downer, but I've been waiting to see some to appear for a long time. Atlas Baker romance shows up a lot.

My impression from The Art of Glamour book is that Baker's family still has the art that was in Baker's possession at the time of his death. It doesn't appear that Baker had OA from his work at St John.

So, I would guess that not much of that OA has survived.

My impression from The Art of Glamour book is that Baker's family still has the art that was in Baker's possession at the time of his death. It doesn't appear that Baker had OA from his work at St John.

If you guys remember the Glamour book mention ones St John kid found out his father was screwing the assistant :banana: , he clean house and fire Matt and almost everyone else. I hope the KID didn't burn the OA. :devil:

If you guys remember the Glamour book mention ones St John kid found out his father was screwing the assistant :banana: , he clean house and fire Matt and almost everyone else. I hope the KID didn't burn the OA. :devil:

That's the other thing that points to the destruction of St. John's OA, the son who fired everybody thinking they knew about Dad's infidelity. Matt didn't even know and he was still fired. Obviously the son was not thinking straight. The business was going bankrupt and he fires his best artist. Also no St. John's art by other artists seems to have shown up. Doesn't look good.

That's the other thing that points to the destruction of St. John's OA, the son who fired everybody thinking they knew about Dad's infidelity. Matt didn't even know and he was still fired. Obviously the son was not thinking straight. The business was going bankrupt and he fires his best artist. Also no St. John's art by other artists seems to have shown up. Doesn't look good.

The Benson book on St John seemed to indicate that despite holding the nominal title of art director, Baker actually wasn't around the St John's office much. Despite his talent and hard work, Baker doesn't seem to have caught many breaks.

correct if im wrong, I believe I seen st john art in the market. Terry Toons OA for sale on eBay??

Jerry Iger did save and sold lots of the Fiction House art on Conventions and Private sale. I came across a Iger Collection, which had 2 of this magazines.

I believe this are the only 2 copies in existing.

0CA4F181-D4F2-471D-A46E-05E3B488E0A0_zpsxpfutaxd.jpg

Edited by kat123

It seems if it came from Iger shop, there was a good chance it survived. That's why you see Fiction house art and Flamingo strips. But St. John's didn't come from Iger. It was owned by Archer St. John who died suddenly amidst financial ruin , leaving the company in the care of a son who ran what was left into the ground. The OA was never seen as an asset.