• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Quote:

"I told you, it's a conspiracy. Brian figured it out, so we had to... take care of him."

lol Brian is here, but Brian has been out of town for awhile and does not look at computers while he is gone. This is a busy work time of year for me and that means travel. I have no idea what conspiracy I missed (will have to read about that), but I've been way too busy to even think of Baker books for the last month. Carry on...

Too busy for Baker books?! :o

I didn't even know that was possible. hm

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

You're a herpetologist, too? Cool. I currently have an adult pair of Striped Mud turtles! Raised them from hatchlings.

Yes, a herpetologist and author with 4 snake books under my belt. I took 160 photos of Western Pond Turtles while in CA a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=brian+hubbs

330s84i.jpg

11qs85l.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

You're a herpetologist, too? Cool. I currently have an adult pair of Striped Mud turtles! Raised them from hatchlings.

Yes, a herpetologist and author with 4 snake books under my belt. I took 160 photos of Western Pond Turtles while in CA a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=brian+hubbs

330s84i.jpg

Awesome photo! So you really are a herpetologist. My favorite turtle genus has always been Clemmys (now Glyptemys). I've raised Wood and Spotted, but never had the chance to acquire a Western Pond hatchling.

I just pulled two Spotted Turtle eggs out of my tank. Since I got home today, I have no idea how long ago she laid them, but i set them up to hatch anyway. We'll see...

Yeah, Western Ponds are not common in the marketplace, and when they are available they cost as much as a 6.0 Baker book. I see so many in the wild that I don't care to own any. They are pretty common throughout CA, despite what some people would have you believe. I have 1,650 photos of them from 36 different CA counties. The photos include about 8,000 individual turtles.

There seems to be a lot of comic collectors that own reptiles, but very few who go into the wild to find them. I love going into the wild.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Judy and I love Turtles also. We have 4 Eastern Box Turtles and 3 CBB hatchlings going into their second year.... plus a 3 year old Common Snapping Turtle that we've raised from the size of a quarter. They're neat..... and all EXTREMELY tame .....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Judy and I love Turtles also. We have 4 Eastern Box Turtles and 3 CBB hatchlings going into their second year.... plus a 3 year old Common Snapping Turtle that we've raised from the size of a quarter. They're neat..... and all EXTREMELY tame .....GOD BLESS...

Now you know where I was Jimbo...and I'm going again next week...gotta love CA when it's green...

....I hear you, man. We have a huge pond a couple miles down the road that we can get to by following the train tracks..... it's slightly brackish but has a large population of Painted and Yellow Sliders. We found a wayward Diamondback Terrapin a few years ago and kept her in the tub for a couple days until I had a couple days off. We took her there and released her .... and video taped it :cloud9: Now SHE was one pretty turtle..... always loved that species. GOD BLESS...

Sometimes you find some interesting stuff in the same day: Like a sheriff Woody doll and a Mountain Kingsnake (called a "tricolor". Now you know where my screen name comes from - and you probably thought it was a play on "four-color"...lol)...I think I'll hijack this thread and turn it into a Herp thread... :insane:

4i0dpv.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

I've just started to come here to lurk & learn about Baker books, but I must say that the turtle discussion has been very interesting. Great photos, too. It's amazing that 3 of the main contributors to this thread are all serious turtle-people.

Here in Oklahoma, we encounter vicious snapping turtles at the lake and the kids find a box turtle wandering through the yard about once a year, but I've never put the time and devotion into raising turtles like you folks. I guess the turtle talk is off-topic, but I'm not bothered.

Some of those Box Turtles live to be 100 years old..... they're a lot more intelligent than you would imagine. GOD BLESS...

P.S. "Scooter", our most prolific breeder of the Box Turtle crew had been run over by a lawn mower when we got him. He was blind and had a hole in his head..... fully recovered now and can see again :cloud9:

Brian, does the name James Harding ring a bell? He's a Michigan State University biology professor and herpetologist. Around 2000, he accidentally cross bred a Wood Turtle and a Blanding's Turtle (two species that were previously thought unable to hybridize). The female Blanding's produced a total of two clutches of eggs that resulted in 18 hybrid turtles.

It was my good fortune to care for one of these animals for about five years. The Wood Turtle is known to be one of the most intelligent species of turtles, but that hybrid was amazingly alert and focused, and it became very tame. That was one cool turtle.

Hank001.jpg

Hank002.jpg