• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

BTW, did anyone notice the error on the CGC label?

I didnt! Were they bimonthly?

The CGC label has the date at 12/54, but the book is actually dated 1/55. This mistake is the result of confusion over the exact date of issue number 40, which has no issue number or date printed on the cover or in the indicia. One or two copies of issue 40 were graded early on, and were mistakenly called "41" on the labels. It took a while for the correct data to go in the right places, but I think it's been straightened out, now.

However, the same situation exists with Diary Secrets 26, which also has no issue number printed anywhere in the book. To this day, no copies of DS 26 have been graded, though, so I guess we'll have to see if they get it right.

Shades of a decade ago, when it didn't seem to matter what the grade was. Scarce Baker issues would sell on Ebay for up to 1k regardless of condition.

Things seem to be trending that way again

But I dont think it means that higher grade copies will necessarily hit proportionately high record prices. I guess we'll see!

I wonder if those who bought then are selling now? hm

Interesting thought - my guess is some have resold while new copies have also come to light.

And more copies in mid to high grade have since emerged, though hardly in numbers.

Shades of a decade ago, when it didn't seem to matter what the grade was. Scarce Baker issues would sell on Ebay for up to 1k regardless of condition.

Things seem to be trending that way again

But I dont think it means that higher grade copies will necessarily hit proportionately high record prices. I guess we'll see!

I agree. Some of these are so scarce, collectors are willing to take whatever they can get, whenever it comes along. We all know, it may be another five to ten years before another copy of True Love Pictorial 9 appears on the market, and that reality is certainly factored into the collectors' high bids.

I believe TLP 9 may be more scarce than TAR 41. I've seen fewer copies of the former.

One of my favs.

DIARYSECRETS26_zps2c443513.jpg

Bakerfan had a cover proof of this and once asked me if I knew which issue it was and whether I'd ever seen a copy. I had never seen it, so couldn't help. That would have been about 8 years ago and I think I've seen only one or two copies since, yours included.

One of my favs.

Perfectly understandable -- I like that he has also nicely detailed the horses and the background.

One of my favs.

Bakerfan had a cover proof of this and once asked me if I knew which issue it was and whether I'd ever seen a copy. I had never seen it, so couldn't help. That would have been about 8 years ago and I think I've seen only one or two copies since, yours included.

And I remember that selling for a relatively reasonable price, and to this day I wished I'd bid on it. Seems to me there was also a proof of the TAR 40 cover. This is very interesting, because those two books were published the same month as each other, and the same month as Cinderella Love 25 (Dec. '54). Would it be cool to discover an unused proof of the CL 25 cover?

One of my favs.

And I remember that selling for a relatively reasonable price, and to this day I wished I'd bid on it. Seems to me there was also a proof of the TAR 40 cover. This is very interesting, because those two books were published the same month as each other, and the same month as Cinderella Love 25 (Dec. '54). Would it be cool to discover an unused proof of the CL 25 cover?

It certainly would!

One of my favs.That would have been about 8 years ago and I think I've seen only one or two copies since, yours included.

Well then, baby makes three. I'm pretty sure we could rustle up a few more in a pinch. The question is: within this merry band of brothers and sister (morning, Countess! :hi: ) is there any issue that absolutely no one has a copy of, including beaters? I'm thinking not.

and if our Brian wasn't happy with prices before, last night's action must have really sent his head spinning! Some of you guys are so...aggressive. :baiting:

DiarySecrets26fc100_zps50af3a63.jpg

Edited by Dr. Love

Does this mean my Baker collection more than doubled in value? hm

Check out the other Baker prices in this sellers auction. They went for cheap. These uncommon issues attracts the bids.

If Ajax Largo's copy of Teen-Age Romances #41 is worth $440, I'm glad I held on to my copy. Maybe the woman on the beach is the day-time alter-ego of Phantom Lady? That would explain the hammer price.

I had a copy in almost the exact same condition, I let it go at auction on eBay almost a year ago, and it went for about $65. At the time, I thought that was a fair price. Sometimes I regret a sale. In 2009, the only CGC copy, a 5.5, sold at auction through ComicConnect for $310. Sometimes I don't regret a purchase.

tar41_zpsad57089e.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

As good a copy as you will ever see.

Maybe so, but this one has a "NOV 9" stamp, so there. (Was part of a group photo, hence the tilted angle.)

145902.jpg.1af750ca90633e1450d8bdedee1e193f.jpg

Does this mean my Baker collection more than doubled in value? hm

Check out the other Baker prices in this sellers auction. They went for cheap. These uncommon issues attracts the bids.

If Ajax Largo's copy of Teen-Age Romances #41 is worth $440, I'm glad I held on to my copy. Maybe the woman on the beach is the day-time alter-ego of Phantom Lady? That would explain the hammer price.

I had a copy in almost the exact same condition, I let it go at auction on eBay almost a year ago, and it went for about $65. At the time, I thought that was a fair price. Sometimes I regret a sale. In 2009, the only CGC copy, a 5.5, sold at auction through ComicConnect for $310. Sometimes I don't regret a purchase.

tar41_zpsad57089e.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

As good a copy as you will ever see.

Maybe so, but this one has a "NOV 9" stamp, so there. (Was part of a group photo, hence the tilted angle.)

Anyone holding out for a better copy than either of those might wait a lifetime.

One of my favs.That would have been about 8 years ago and I think I've seen only one or two copies since, yours included.

Well then, baby makes three. I'm pretty sure we could rustle up a few more in a pinch. The question is: within this merry band of brothers and sister (morning, Countess! :hi: ) is there any issue that absolutely no one has a copy of, including beaters? I'm thinking not.

and if our Brian wasn't happy with prices before, last night's action must have really sent his head spinning! Some of you guys are so...aggressive. :baiting:

I believe we have seen them all posted at one time or another. The question is, does anyone have them all -- either currently or ever? hm

Where else but these boards would you find such a high density of rare books? Baker or otherwise.

There was a thread some time ago which discussed the rarity of Jumbo Comics #31and within hours maybe half a dozen copies had been posted. And without checking I think that's a Gerber 9.

Ditto Planet Comics - multiple examples of the rare issues.

Let alone Centaurs.

I used to envy my American friends who could access regular comic shows - all I ever had was what showed up on Ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if certain baker romance books have never turned up there - but of course I cant prove it.

Where else but these boards would you find such a high density of rare books? Baker or otherwise.

There was a thread some time ago which discussed the rarity of Jumbo Comics #31and within hours maybe half a dozen copies had been posted. And without checking I think that's a Gerber 9.

Ditto Planet Comics - multiple examples of the rare issues.

Let alone Centaurs.

I used to envy my American friends who could access regular comic shows - all I ever had was what showed up on Ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if certain baker romance books have never turned up there - but of course I cant prove it.

For all its shortcomings, eBay has proven to be the best source for Bakers, in my experience.

A few recent acquisitions (except for the PR 22, which I've had for years). Here are examples of Crime, Horror, Jungle, and Romance, all St. Johns with Baker covers.

This is one of those re-bound giants with a squarebound spine that reads, "GIANT COMICS EDITIONS... 100 PAGES". It collects Authentic Police Cases 9, 11, and 13.

tcc_nn__zps436d9c96.jpg

ags13_zpsc91ded38.jpg

This stuff is probably just as scarce as most of the romance books, but it's not nearly as costly. That's fine by me. This beauty cost me 25 bucks:

WildBoy11_zpsc22bd6c2.jpg

pr22_zps173efecf.jpg