• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

It's so nice this thread continues on :) I was looking through old photographs and came across this one. This had to be my ultimate "Baker" find. It came from an auction where they were all in one box. Can you imagine? This was quite a few years ago but a find I'll never forget.

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

Wow! What a box lot! It's taken me years to get that many Bakers and you hit the mother load. Some scarce books in that pile too.

I may have shared this before but I thought it was an interesting piece of history. Matt Baker was said to have referred to Andrew Loomis for inspiration. This is an image from an Andrew Loomis book and very much looks like the running lady on True Love Pictorial 10.

TLP10_zpsaa7286b1.jpg

282143_zpsadeb6822.jpg

Yes, Andrew Loomis "Figure Drawing For All Its Worth". Recently reprinted. I recommend it to all my students.

It's so nice this thread continues on :) I was looking through old photographs and came across this one. This had to be my ultimate "Baker" find. It came from an auction where they were all in one box. Can you imagine? This was quite a few years ago but a find I'll never forget.

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

Great score. And welcome back to your thread!

I may have shared this before but I thought it was an interesting piece of history. Matt Baker was said to have referred to Andrew Loomis for inspiration. This is an image from an Andrew Loomis book and very much looks like the running lady on True Love Pictorial 10.

TLP10_zpsaa7286b1.jpg

282143_zpsadeb6822.jpg

Yes, Andrew Loomis "Figure Drawing For All Its Worth". Recently reprinted. I recommend it to all my students.

TLP 10 is one of my favorite Baker covers.

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

WOW! That's a find I'll never forget, too. I like to think that there are more boxes like that out there somewhere. Thanks for keeping me inspired for the hunt!

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

WOW! That's a find I'll never forget, too. I like to think that there are more boxes like that out there somewhere. Thanks for keeping me inspired for the hunt!

If I remember correctly, I ended up with that Cinderella Love 29...

...and still have it:

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

"What should be sugary and sentimental, instead evoke images of a strange, lost world where love is a state of being rather than an interaction."

My guess is...alanna.

A harmless drudge.

You're too modest, Michael.

(I, on the other hand, am the most modest human being on the face of the entire earth. Nobody else even compares. When it comes to modesty, I RULE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!)

"What should be sugary and sentimental, instead evoke images of a strange, lost world where love is a state of being rather than an interaction."

My guess is...alanna.

A harmless drudge.

(I, on the other hand, am the most modest human being on the face of the entire earth. Nobody else even compares. When it comes to modesty, I RULE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!)

A modest man, with much to be modest about.

(I kid, I kid!)

My guess is...alanna.

A harmless drudge.

(I kid, I kid!)

I make it a rule to never get into a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

We kid! We kid!

My guess is...alanna.

A harmless drudge.

(I kid, I kid!)

I make it a rule to never get into a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

We kid! We kid!

:sumo:

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

...and still have it:

It's a beauty!

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

...and still have it:

It's a beauty!

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

Best copy I've seen by a country mile.

It's always when I look at this cover that I'm most conscious of his tendency to depict older men and - arguably - women. I wonder if this was a conscious choice and if so his motivation?

I cant being myself to believe that a draftsman so skilled would not be able to depict teenagers if he so chose.

So were these aimed at an older demographic? Or were they pitched at younger folk who might aspire to the romanticized lifestyle in maturity?

Apologies if this has been done to death!

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

...and still have it:

It's a beauty!

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

It's always when I look at this cover that I'm most conscious of his tendency to depict older men and - arguably - women. I wonder if this was a conscious choice and if so his motivation?

I cant being myself to believe that a draftsman so skilled would not be able to depict teenagers if he so chose.

So were these aimed at an older demographic? Or were they pitched at younger folk who might aspire to the romanticized lifestyle in maturity?

Certainly he could've drawn picture perfect teen-agers, if he'd chosen to do so. I think it was more important to him, out of devotion to style, to draw faces with character. Generally, younger faces mean softer features, fewer age lines and wrinkles, etc. In other words, less "character". I think it was just a case of Baker choosing style over pictorial accuracy.

It's certainly noticeable, particularly for the books with "Teen" in the title. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that early romance books often had photo covers and the models in the photos were generally young adults who were clearly beyond their teen years.

For all of his talent, Baker did apparently rely pretty heavily on swipe files. Perhaps the figures on his covers seem mature because they were based on photos of mature models.

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

...and still have it:

It's a beauty!

cl29_zpsh57pin7k.jpg

Maybe it also might have been that these comics were generally sold to younger teens and they, of course, want the freedoms of older teens so it helped to sell these comics and make the characters look more mature. Or, maybe it helped to widen the audience? Controversy on the covers did help to sell them.

Anyone see this one before? Apparently published in 1946. Art by Baker and Alex Blum. I don't see it listed in Baker checklists. hm

9a6c1926-f9e9-4229-8f3a-4510891a2121_zps7bjxsp75.jpg

I've known about it for a long time... I think Joanna first made me aware of it, and I'm pretty sure she turned one up, herself... it's probably not listed anywhere because it's technically a children's book, not a comic book or magazine.