• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Anyone see this one before? Apparently published in 1946. Art by Baker and Alex Blum. I don't see it listed in Baker checklists. hm

9a6c1926-f9e9-4229-8f3a-4510891a2121_zps7bjxsp75.jpg

I've known about it for a long time... I think Joanna first made me aware of it, and I'm pretty sure she turned one up, herself... it's probably not listed anywhere because it's technically a children's book, not a comic book or magazine.

Actually, I'm wrong. I missed it the first time, but it is included in the checklist in The Art of Glamour book. It's on p. 95 (for those who have the book) under "Magazine and Book Illustrations."

I recently bought, but haven't yet received, a bound set of the Manhunt magazines. Apparently, Baker worked on this magazine right around the time he was splitting from St. John. It doesn't seem clear, though, exactly which illustrations are his.

I recently bought, but haven't yet received, a bound set of the Manhunt magazines. Apparently, Baker worked on this magazine right around the time he was splitting from St. John. It doesn't seem clear, though, exactly which illustrations are his.

The good ones are his :baiting:

:idea:

And I think Joanna and/or Richard might have some scans.

And I think Joanna and/or Richard might have some scans.

Would be great if they could post them. Somewhere I think I have a single issue from the Baker period (Jan - Sept 1953). The illo reproduced in The Art of Glamour book looks quite Bakerish.

Head's up on the MyComicShop's APC 18 listing on eBay. Decent price for what appears to be a reasonable copy of a tough book (a Gerber 8). Checking the listing for that book on their site reveals the additional info that "Cover attached with glue at bottom staple." This info isn't given in the eBay listing.

I think MCS has locked themselves into a template in their eBay listings with the result that they sometimes end up not disclosing pertinent info that's given in the listings on their site.

That listing has been up for awhile. Thankfully most ebayers seasoned enough to be interested in books like this read the entire listing.

Reading the whole eBay listing won't do you any good, though, since the glued cover is only mentioned in the listing on the MCS site. It's not mentioned in the eBay listing, unless I'm overlooking it.

You are over-looking it.

This is copied and pasted from the ad.

Grade: VG+ 4.5

Cover attached with glue at bottom staple.

It's certainly there now -- and highlighted in yellow. I'm positive it wasn't there before. The book was relisted a couple of days ago after first being listed a month or so ago. I'll speculate that they received it back after the buyer spotted the glue.

Either that or I'm going blind!

You are over-looking it.

It's certainly there now -- and highlighted in yellow. I'm positive it wasn't there before. The book was relisted a couple of days ago after first being listed a month or so ago. I'll speculate that they received it back after the buyer spotted the glue.

Possibly both. (thumbs u

You are over-looking it.

Definitely Possibly both. (thumbs u

Fixed!

You are over-looking it.

Fixed!

Makes two of us!

You are over-looking it.

Fixed!

Makes two of us!

Well when you both go blind sell me your comics, because you won't be needing them.

You are over-looking it.

Fixed!

Makes two of us!

Well when you both go blind sell me your comics, because you won't be needing them.

The voice of compassion.

You are over-looking it.

Fixed!

Makes two of us!

The voice of compassion.

Maybe he'll be willing to read our books to us. hm

Head's up on the MyComicShop's APC 18 listing on eBay. Decent price for what appears to be a reasonable copy of a tough book (a Gerber 8). Checking the listing for that book on their site reveals the additional info that "Cover attached with glue at bottom staple." This info isn't given in the eBay listing.

I think MCS has locked themselves into a template in their eBay listings with the result that they sometimes end up not disclosing pertinent info that's given in the listings on their site.

The item was won in our November 2014 auction, and the "Cover attached with glue at bottom staple." note was already on the item at that time:

November auction listing:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=26443247

The winning bidder chose to consign the item rather than having it shipped to him, and that consigned item is what you're seeing now on our web site and on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Police-Cases-1948-18-VG-4-5-/311322060823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487c3da817

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=26961794

Any item notes that are shown on our web site will also be included when we create a new eBay listing. Those notes will appear under the header "ITEM GRADE/CONDITION" and will be highlighted in yellow as somebody pointed out.

You are over-looking it.

Nobody has ordered and returned the item. The item was first listed for sale January 19, has gone through two 30 day ebay listings since then, and has not been ordered by anyone in that time.