• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

There's a 7.5 in the census now? Really? I didn't know that.

Ok, so up to possibly six copies, by my count.

Although perhaps the 7.5 is one of the five.

Too bad it hasn't been sold because that would be a way of determining (through a GPA link) when it was graded. Or is there another way?

There's a 7.5 in the census now? Really? I didn't know that.

Ok, so up to possibly six copies, by my count.

Although perhaps the 7.5 is one of the five.

Too bad it hasn't been sold because that would be a way of determining (through a GPA link) when it was graded. Or is there another way?

I'm certain that I checked the census for both issues of this title last year, and there were still no copies of #2. It had to have been graded within the past 12 months, probably less.

Here's that article:

apatls2_06_zps3e545a39.jpg

Wow, the auction "went thru the roof" and that rare book ended up costing...$220? lol I guess those really were the days...

And I don't think All-Negro Comics is considered nearly as tough today as it was then.

It had to have been graded within the past 12 months, probably less.

12/24/13

How'd you determine that? It's not yours, is it?

(shrug) Grader's notes ?............GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It had to have been graded within the past 12 months, probably less.

12/24/13

How'd you determine that? It's not yours, is it?

(shrug) Grader's notes ?............GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

But don't you need the cert number to get the notes? (And with the cert number you can look up the grading date directly.)

I think there is a site that tracks changes to the census but I've forgotten what it is. hm

Agreed this is one of my favourites as well - articulates beyond the typical storyline - and age range - and was far ahead of its time.

Is there a list that indicates who the writer is on this one?

- and of course... very nice copy.

Unfortunately, this one has only a Baker cover. (Although one story is by Murphy Anderson!) Checking GCD, none of the writers is known. Not unusual, of course, with these books. Dana Dutch is the only writer of St John books that I can recall seeing identified. Most of his attributions are inferences since I don't believe he was explicitly credited on many (any?) stories.

It's so nice this thread continues on :) I was looking through old photographs and came across this one. This had to be my ultimate "Baker" find. It came from an auction where they were all in one box. Can you imagine? This was quite a few years ago but a find I'll never forget.

Estate2_zps07cde2ba.jpg

I may have shared this before but I thought it was an interesting piece of history. Matt Baker was said to have referred to Andrew Loomis for inspiration. This is an image from an Andrew Loomis book and very much looks like the running lady on True Love Pictorial 10.

TLP10_zpsaa7286b1.jpg

282143_zpsadeb6822.jpg