• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,321 posts in this topic

Arriving at the Matt Baker party as late as I did, it's been frustrating to see some of you brag about the good ol' days when one could purchase certain coveted Baker books for a pittance. I must have been due a Good Karma payment though, because I finally scored a rare book for a sweet price.

A couple of weeks ago, during a cross-country trip to visit my son in Syracuse, New York, I stopped off at a few comic shops near my route. At one store, the proprietor checked his special boxes of books behind the counter and said he didn't have any of the issues I had asked for, but I was welcome to look through his regular back issue boxes out on the display floor.

Sure that I would run onto nothing but the usual plethora of Marvel foil cover multiples and other over-printed issues, I was reluctant at first, but something told me to give it a brief try before getting back on the road. Going straight to the “D” section, I started looking for a specific St. John romance title.

Digging past tons of Detective Comics from the 1990's and the 2000's, I came upon something that made my heart stop. The sticker on the front had the incorrect issue number, and the price seemed wrong, too, but I wasn't one to quibble. I paid the man and got the book out of there as soon as I could.

9a5rfvZ.jpg

Very nice. A tough one.

That's the kind of score that makes hours of pawing through boxes of dreck worthwhile.

At least as long as you don't think too much about how many hours that's been.

Arriving at the Matt Baker party as late as I did, it's been frustrating to see some of you brag about the good ol' days when one could purchase certain coveted Baker books for a pittance. I must have been due a Good Karma payment though, because I finally scored a rare book for a sweet price.

A couple of weeks ago, during a cross-country trip to visit my son in Syracuse, New York, I stopped off at a few comic shops near my route. At one store, the proprietor checked his special boxes of books behind the counter and said he didn't have any of the issues I had asked for, but I was welcome to look through his regular back issue boxes out on the display floor.

Sure that I would run onto nothing but the usual plethora of Marvel foil cover multiples and other over-printed issues, I was reluctant at first, but something told me to give it a brief try before getting back on the road. Going straight to the “D” section, I started looking for a specific St. John romance title.

Digging past tons of Detective Comics from the 1990's and the 2000's, I came upon something that made my heart stop. The sticker on the front had the incorrect issue number, and the price seemed wrong, too, but I wasn't one to quibble. I paid the man and got the book out of there as soon as I could.

9a5rfvZ.jpg

Whoa! Good one! (thumbs u

9a5rfvZ.jpg

Yeah man. that book is so scarce that at one time there was even debate if it had ever been printed.

9a5rfvZ.jpg

I saw what you did, Mr PunMeister :baiting:

9a5rfvZ.jpg

I saw what you did, Mr PunMeister :baiting:

If only I was that clever! :D

Great score on the Diary Secrets. I'm often fascinated by these "hidden in plain sight" GA gems. The Baker cover is beautiful, but thinking back to the years before I found these boards, if I'd seen that same issue in a dealer's box I'm sure I would have skimmed over it without a second thought.

Great score on the Diary Secrets. I'm often fascinated by these "hidden in plain sight" GA gems. The Baker cover is beautiful, but thinking back to the years before I found these boards, if I'd seen that same issue in a dealer's box I'm sure I would have skimmed over it without a second thought.

I'm with you there. Although I've become something of a Baker maniac, as I've mentioned before, until I started reading this Baker thread I would have been hard pressed to explain who Baker was.

This was my first Baker romance. First time I ever saw one. I was looking for Phantom Lady's and Seven Seas. I didn't now about St. John's. I was at a dealers house talking about my new found interest and he pulled this out. Threw it in with my other purchases. 1999/2000.

diary%20secrets%2024.jpeg

Edited by comicnoir

There's no telling how long Diary Secrets #26 was in that box waiting for me. The 1990 edition of Overstreet has it listed as $9 in Fine, so perhaps it had been there for decades.