• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Won this Baker the other day on eBay. If you're interested in the story of this win, I wrote about it in my journal. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9399878#Post9399878

285_zpsxmk4jl02.jpg

Yeah, I'm certain that I've won certain books (or won them for a lot less) by having other Baker auctions to take the heat off of the one(s) I really wanted, to divert attention away from them, and to distract the other bidders.

From the seller point of view, I know to avoid offering too many of the same type of books at the same time, or certain combinations of books. It is easy to "create your own competition" in that manner.

Congrats on the WR 17.

Wartime Romances #5 CBCS 8.0 OWW went as an Ebay BIN yesterday for $1100. Current CGC census is at two graded copies: 7.5 and 5.5.

Thoughts: the book looked nice on Ebay - meaning the front cover pic looked nicer than an 8.0. The back cover shot shows some rust and bleed on the staples, but not every buyer would notice that. $1100 is a big ask for this book - it might be a new record for a non-grail, major or minor, and I would say this book isn't even one of the top 40 on most people's lists. It's also a split panel cover.

So in answer to the question will CBCS necessarily bring in reduced prices - this is a good test case. For 8.0 Baker high census books, and for CBCS in general as well.

In answer to the question: is CBCS too light on grading? Below are the notes (kudos again to CBCS for this common sense approach). I'm not familiar with deductions for partially detached cf's. But I wouldn't call an 8.0 a gift grade in this case. The book does present well.

Notes:

centerfold partially detached at top staple

light foxing back cover

minor rust on staples with tiny transfer stains

light spine wear, creasing & stress some breaks color

He originally had it listed as a $1,600 BIN. When that one expired, he relisted it with an opening bid of (I think) $800 and a BIN of $1,100.

I was mulling it at the $800 price, but I thought $1,100 was too high. I have a raw copy that might grade that high -- or might be a CGC 7.0 (which could be what that book is).

I think I've bought three CBCS Baker books that I've had pressed and regraded by CGC. All three came back lower.

I have to say, though, that the book did look pretty good to me. Rumor has it that CBCS is toughening up their grading, so if this book was graded recently, perhaps the grade is accurate.

Yeh that's the bad thing about CBCS online notes lookup: no grade date. Whats up with that.

The only reason a buyer would go for the BIN rather than take it out of BIN play is an expectation that the book would have gone higher, more than a little bit higher, than $1100. That's valuable information too.

Well with scans and notes we can make a pretty good call on the grade. Better than making a call on a CGC book without grades. A clear case that doesn't hide defects. 8.0 yes or no?

and are any of you familiar with the truncated buyer name 6***b? I know a lot of the usual Ebay buyer handles, but this one doesn't ring a bell.

Edited by Dr. Love

The only reason a buyer would go for the BIN rather than take it out of BIN play is an expectation that the book would have gone higher, more than a little bit higher, than $1100. That's valuable information too.

Don't underestimate the fear of losing to someone else hitting the BIN button. I'm sure that on more than one occasion a BINer has conjured up nonexistent competition.

I would say from what we know of that book, 8.0 may well be an accurate grade. We've certainly seen books with significantly more rust get high grades from CGC.

Don't know who the winner was but evidently not a shill for the seller.

Good points, gents. and George should get a move on with capturing CBCS sales data. And CBCS needs to present their registry data immediately. That's a simple change that could be done in less than a week - 48 hours if necessary. What are they doing? Golden opportunity.

Don't know who the winner was. A 5.5 went on Ha.com for $310.00 5 years ago. A nice 8.0 going for $1100.00 in today's market, doesn't seem too far off. I was toying with the idea, as I'm sure were a few others, but went to lunch instead. It's not an easy book, and there are lots of nice femmes on the cover. Congrats to the buyer.

Rumor has it that CBCS is toughening up their grading...

Well, now would be a really good time for them to start doing that - in my experience, they consistently overgrade and I have passed on perhaps a dozen or so purchases as a result.

In other Baker news, I was happy to pick up this book from a Boardie today - fits the definition of beat but complete!

c1a8885b-9f2c-4d8e-83c0-796ae7feb2ce_zpsi24s80sy.jpg

Well, now would be a really good time for them to start doing that - in my experience, they consistently overgrade and I have passed on perhaps a dozen or so purchases as a result.

In other Baker news, I was happy to pick up this book from a Boardie today - fits the definition of beat but complete!

I remember it fondly! I won it on eBay and it was kind of a wreck. I thought that it was missing some pages but it turned out that it had been left open to an interior page and then the cover was placed on. So it was all there.

Joey did a good job of pressing it and I think it's a reasonably presentable copy of a tough book.

Glad you landed it -- after one intermediate stopping place. :D

Great book! Ironically, I was just asking a fellow boardie about this issue. (thumbs u

Great book! Ironically, I was just asking a fellow boardie about this issue. (thumbs u

And would that boardie happen to be Roy? ;)

Nice pickup on the raw TAR 42 Minh, and if you ever upgrade that Seven Seas 6 please give me shot (great book!).

And would that boardie happen to be Roy? ;)

Nice pickup on the raw TAR 42 Minh, and if you ever upgrade that Seven Seas 6 please give me shot (great book!).

:whee:

Something I really love about Baker (besides his beautiful women) is the attention to detail when it comes to "folds of clothing". Folds of clothing can be very difficult to represent, especially when the cloth is stretched in an action pose or across the contours of a body. Baker is a master at this.