• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

Something I really love about Baker (besides his beautiful women) is the attention to detail when it comes to "folds of clothing". Folds of clothing can be very difficult to represent, especially when the cloth is stretched in an action pose or across the contours of a body. Baker is a master at this.

He definitely has an eye for contours of the female form.

Here's another example in another genre. My favorite APC cover and every bit as nice as his romance work.

comauthpolicecases8_zpsnitdtmxr.jpg

My favorite APC cover, too. It reminds me a lot of the cover to All-True All-Picture Police Cases #2, but I like this one more.

His romance work gets all the love but Matt Baker worked in other genres with equaly great art.

comwildboy14_zpspqbbybnw.jpg

Agreed, although I'm not crazy about most of his early FH stuff. I don't think he had hit his stride as an artist at that point.

Like this late St John work, though.

lf_zpsyoja8n5n.jpg

Here's another example in another genre. My favorite APC cover and every bit as nice as his romance work.

My favorite APC cover, too. It reminds me a lot of the cover to All-True All-Picture Police Cases #2, but I like this one more.

They are similar and I agree that this one is better.

Gotta admire that crook; I don't think there has actually ever been a successful robbery from one of the Federal Reserve Banks. hm

Gotta admire that crook; I don't think there has actually ever been a successful robbery from one of the Federal Reserve Banks. hm

Tony,

Think outside the box. Think cybercrime. $81 million went to the Phillipines and $20 million went Sri Lanka straight out of the Federal Reserve in New York City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Bangladesh_Bank_heist

Tony,

Think outside the box. Think cybercrime. $81 million went to the Phillipines and $20 million went Sri Lanka straight out of the Federal Reserve in New York City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Bangladesh_Bank_heist

Baker really was ahead of his time!

His romance work gets all the love but Matt Baker worked in other genres with equaly great art.

comwildboy14_zpspqbbybnw.jpg

Agreed, although I'm not crazy about most of his early FH stuff. I don't think he had hit his stride as an artist at that point.

Like this late St John work, though.

lf_zpsyoja8n5n.jpg

I don't know about that. I think "Sky Girl" in Jumbo is some of his best stuff. I like the way she is posed throughout. In many cases breaking panels to feature her pretty legs. Jumbo is the only Friction House title with Baker art that I have not completed. I still need about 10 of them. Since I mainly want them for the Sky Girl stories, I don't worry too much about condition.

Mitzi of Hollywood in Movie #4 is also just awsome stuff. I like it better than a lot of his St. John work.

I think most people concentrate on his covers and don't pay much attention to what is inside them. These two titles are also VERY readable. (I know that is a bit of an outdated concept here)

Mitzi of Hollywood in Movie #4 is also just awsome stuff. I like it better than a lot of his St. John work.

Totally with you on that! The splash page of the Mitzi story is particularly great, and Baker's depiction of Mitzi is HOT. The Art of Glamour says Baker did "pencils only", but the finishing is so good I think he might have done his own inking.

On a side bar, the Mitzi of Hollywood story in Movie #4 was recycled with new dialogue in Cowgirl Romances #10.

Totally with you on that! The splash page of the Mitzi story is particularly great, and Baker's depiction of Mitzi is HOT. The Art of Glamour says Baker did "pencils only", but the finishing is so good I think he might have done his own inking.

On a side bar, the Mitzi of Hollywood story in Movie #4 was recycled with new dialogue in Cowgirl Romances #10.

I was so enamored with Mitzi, I chose her as my avatar.

I was so enamored with Mitzi, I chose her as my avatar.

Was she kissed by the hypnotoad? hm

I see signs of the page being re-worked by Fiction House for its inclusion in Cowgirl Romances #10. Namely, the partial new story title, and the preparations for new dialogue balloons.

Edited by 29dukedog

I see signs of the page being re-worked by Fiction House for its inclusion in Cowboy Romances #10. Namely, the partial new story title.

Yes, there were paste-up balloons. Most have fallen off of the title page. I'm thinking of getting it restored, getting rid of the re-work. I've been in contact with Robert Dennis.