• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,337 posts in this topic

single illustration. Thinking getting it CGC just hoping CGC can credit Baker-art.

Doubt that this could get slabbed. Pulps are a no-go, and while this is past the pulp era and technically more a magazine, there is an approved list of magazines on CGC's site, and as you might expect, this isn't one of them.

You'd have to petition to have this added to the list. They're not into one offs, and I don't think there are a lot of other requests for 3 Book Western coming in.

Great shape, kat! Eat it raw!

Maybe the competition might graded?

no magazines at the moment

Copy, will stay raw.

single illustration. Thinking getting it CGC just hoping CGC can credit Baker-art.

Doubt that this could get slabbed. Pulps are a no-go, and while this is past the pulp era and technically more a magazine, there is an approved list of magazines on CGC's site, and as you might expect, this isn't one of them.

You'd have to petition to have this added to the list. They're not into one offs, and I don't think there are a lot of other requests for 3 Book Western coming in.

Great shape, kat! Eat it raw!

Maybe the competition might graded?

no magazines at the moment

Copy, will stay raw.

It's a nice find. First copy that I've seen.

Late Western art by Matt Baker 1957 Marvel.

Thanks. The Art of Glamour book reproduces an illustration from the story, but I wasn't sure whether there was any more Baker art.

Below is another from May 1957 :690A1299_zpsmgyem6u9.jpg

Edited by JvR11

One of the 6th Street books. Was originally a 5.0 OW, but like most of those books had apparently been exposed to dampness. As result, it was noticeably wavy, so I had it pressed.

(Census note: I don't think the original label was sent in when this book was reslabbed, so one of the two 5.0s listed on the census is probably this book. That would leave this copy, the other 5.0, and a 3.5 as probably the three copies of this issue graded to date.)

Edited to add: Just noticed that CGC doesn't give Baker an art credit, although the cover is clearly his as is some of the interior story art.

846cff61-cd5a-4863-8c0b-ead54a31308b_zpsawce8vfy.jpg

Really nice copy. Is there are story on the 6th street books?

Thank you for the update :foryou:

It was an OO collection from the northwest that the OO's heirs consigned to an LCS owner. He listed some of the books on eBay and when they sold at very strong prices, a dispute broke out among the heirs, who pulled the remaining books off the market. Those remaining books have yet to come to market, so far as I know.

Edited by JvR11

Is there are story on the 6th street books?

Jo, it was a store up in Washington state that had a walk in collection find (I believe) that was Baker heavy and consisted of some VERY nice copies. Happened a couple of years ago. It came to be dubbed the 6th St. collection.

Thank you :foryou:

Is it really that rare?

I saw this issue posted here (twice by two different posters I think) and since then have located three different raw copies between 6.0 up to an 8.5 with really nice page quality. None where interested in selling and have owned the books for a while now but I'm not sure I'd consider it a rare book now. Uncommon. Rarely sold. Not many slabbed. All yes but it's not like a Suspense #3 or even close at that scarcity.

Is it really that rare?

I saw this issue posted here (twice by two different posters I think) and since then have located three different raw copies between 6.0 up to an 8.5 with really nice page quality. None where interested in selling and have owned the books for a while now but I'm not sure I'd consider it a rare book now. Uncommon. Rarely sold. Not many slabbed. All yes but it's not like a Suspense #3 or even close at that scarcity.

Only copy graded (and just graded in March). If I were an owner of one of those other copies, I would think seriously about getting it graded and into an auction ... if I was interested in parting with it, that is.

Baker is hot and getting hotter his love covers are hitting new levels :)

Interesting point. Is this a record for a Baker non-romance book? I'm thinking it is unless I'm forgetting something. hm

You mean a St. John's non-romance book, since PL and Seven Seas have brought big numbers for a long time.

The highest graded copy of Authentic Police Cases #6 (6th Street copy I believe) 8.0, went on ebay for around $1500.00. It then resold on ebay in a BIN, correct me if I'm wrong, for $3550.00!! It took awhile, but memory says that's what happened.

You mean a St. John's non-romance book, since PL and Seven Seas have brought big numbers for a long time.

The highest graded copy of Authentic Police Cases #6 (6th Street copy I believe) 8.0, went on ebay for around $1500.00. It then resold on ebay in a BIN, correct me if I'm wrong, for $3550.00!! It took awhile, but memory says that's what happened.

Good point. I guess it depends on how you define "romance." If we broaden to GGA, then I guess this one would count as well because of the woman on the cover. In that case, one of the PLs probably has the Baker record ... if you believe those books actually have Baker art!

I don't see the sale of the APC 6 on GPA. Maybe buyer and seller came to a deal off of eBay?

Good point. I guess it depends on how you define "romance." If we broaden to GGA, then I guess this one would count as well because of the woman on the cover. In that case, one of the PLs probably has the Baker record ... if you believe those books actually have Baker art!

I don't see the sale of the APC 6 on GPA. Maybe buyer and seller came to a deal off of eBay?

I don't know why it's not on GPA. It was on my watched list for a long time. And I remember it being listed as sold through ebay.

Good point. I guess it depends on how you define "romance."

He was having a fling with a young lady. Doesn't that qualify (:

The book was not re-sold after on eBay or elsewhere.