• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,595 posts in this topic

No, I just called him and bought it as fast as I could. That was back when he sent out a list...I wasn't going to beat around the bush on that one... lol

Paying over guide for a Baker? So, that's where this all began. :taptaptap:

I think it all began with this dumb thread and all you Baker kooks competing with each other on ebay. As recently as 1998 you could buy any Baker book in 6.0 or better for about $30. The only problem back then was they were a little hard to find. The more you show these books, the more people are going to want them. That's a good thing for sellers, but not so good for collectors...

Monkey see, monkey do... lol

I believe that there are perhaps less than a dozen hard core Baker fans with limitless money, who are pushing these particular GGA books into a stratosphere we couldn't imagine before.

The thing is once those collectors stop collecting via retirement, death or a need to sell off.. than I do expect these books to come back down to Earth.

It is good to collect things, but it is better to go on walks.”

― Anatole France

I believe that there are perhaps less than a dozen hard core Baker fans with limitless money, who are pushing these particular GGA books into a stratosphere we couldn't imagine before.

Speaking as someone who's been aggressive chasing Bakers this year, I've actually lost many more auctions/turned down more deals than I've won/made, mainly due to prices I feel are just too high.

Also, it's a matter of focus - for example, I haven't bought the usual number of Centaurs this year because I've funneled funds into Bakers.

Plus, I decided at the onset to not compete for the higher grades as those prices are way too rich for my blood - being content with a presentable mid-to-low grade copy goes a long way to enjoying the hunt.

To my collecting detriment, I tell you gents to aggressively bid on Fine or better Baker romance. With all due respect, Roger, and your sales sense is better than mine, but limitless money is not needed, very little money is needed respectively.

There are roughly 700 graded Baker romance, average grade 5.5. Applying a broad brush of a $500 price point for a 6.0, the market cap of all the graded Baker romance is about

$300,000

For all of it. ALL OF IT. 20% down, finance the rest at historic low rates. I've got the 60K if you've got all those slabs, and my pot is limited, to say the least, as I'm sure yours is too. Baker romance is undervalued. The supply is extremely limited and the amount of money sloshing around comics as a market continues to expand.

Romance was never collected, as we understand the term, and was only bought by a passer by demographic. Internalize this fact and dig deeper boys!

Very incisive Dr. Love. I use my intuition more than anything when I buy and what you just stated resonates. The problem is the days of my finding something very special for say $150 has become less and less with new GGA collectors jumping in every month.

I suspect part of my collecting romance, which is where my heart lays (pun), is skewed some because I also enjoy collecting early silver age Marvel and DC keys. Therefore I might not bid 2k on say a Cindy 37 CGC 6.0 and apply it to say a mid-grade X-MEN 1.

Granted there are a ton of X-men 1s around compared to say a few hundred Cindy 37s.... so I feel the pull towards that Cindy.

but I am also thinking long term too... one day I will slow down collecting and want to liquidate or perhaps bequeath. No one can predict where the market will be in say 10 years plus but I just don't want to put all my books into one niche - one boat.

Edited by Roger66

Very incisive Dr. Love. I use my intuition more than anything when I buy and what you just stated resonates. The problem is the days of my finding something very special for say $150 has become less and less with new GGA collectors jumping in every month.

I suspect part of my collecting romance, which is where my heart lays (pun), is skewed some because I also enjoy collecting early silver age Marvel and DC keys. Therefore I might not bid 2k on say a Cindy 37 CGC 6.0 and apply it to say a mid-grade X-MEN 1.

Granted there are a ton of X-men 1s around compared to say a few hundred Cindy 37s.... so I feel the pull towards that Cindy.

but I am also thinking long term too... one day I will slow down collecting and want to liquidate or perhaps bequeath. No one can predict where the market will be in say 10 years plus but I just don't want to put all my books into one niche - one boat.

Interesting discussion, gents. I'll pick a nit and say that I would be very surprised if 50 copies of Cindy 37 have survived.

Cl 25 is in a class by itself, imo. I also like TLP 11. TLP 10 is another one of my favorites. The central figure is great and I like the little vignettes in the background.

DS 25, 26, and 29. CL 26 and 28. TAR 9, 13, 32, 36, 38, 42, 43, and 44. WTR 16.

So many to choose from!

There is a CL25 as well as a TLP 11 on eBay right now. (Same seller from France) Looks like a decent legit seller.

The CL 25 definitely has color touch. The seller had a "it might have touch up" buried in the description, but it's pretty obviously there once the scans are blown up.

There is a CL25 as well as a TLP 11 on eBay right now. (Same seller from France) Looks like a decent legit seller.

The CL 25 definitely has color touch. The seller had a "it might have touch up" buried in the description, but it's pretty obviously there once the scans are blown up.

Yes, multiple areas of color touch (look in the upper right hand corner too, for example).

Still a bright and attractive book...

Cl 25 is in a class by itself, imo. I also like TLP 11. TLP 10 is another one of my favorites. The central figure is great and I like the little vignettes in the background.

DS 25, 26, and 29. CL 26 and 28. TAR 9, 13, 32, 36, 38, 42, 43, and 44. WTR 16.

So many to choose from!

That's a great list, Tony - agree with CL 25, I have TLP 11 a close second (Baker's covers with sexual tension are captivating and TLP 11 tops the heap in that regard).