• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,335 posts in this topic

There is a CL25 as well as a TLP 11 on eBay right now. (Same seller from France) Looks like a decent legit seller.

The CL 25 definitely has color touch. The seller had a "it might have touch up" buried in the description, but it's pretty obviously there once the scans are blown up.

Yes, multiple areas of color touch (look in the upper right hand corner too, for example).

Still a bright and attractive book...

That is true! I was actually the first bidder and placed my bid really high. I was outbid and surprised people want this copy even with resto. I honestly can't predict a price for the CL25? any ideas? I would be shocked if it went over $1,500.00.

There is a CL25 as well as a TLP 11 on eBay right now. (Same seller from France) Looks like a decent legit seller.

The CL 25 definitely has color touch. The seller had a "it might have touch up" buried in the description, but it's pretty obviously there once the scans are blown up.

Yes, multiple areas of color touch (look in the upper right hand corner too, for example).

Still a bright and attractive book...

That is true! I was actually the first bidder and placed my bid really high. I was outbid and surprised people want this copy even with resto. I honestly can't predict a price for the CL25? any ideas? I would be shocked if it went over $1,500.00.

It just makes me sad when I could have had that cgc 5.5 for $2000 less than six months ago. I thought the one on eBay would go for $750-800. I'm not sure people are catching the resto in the description.

People could also be caring less about it(resto)...... especially in regards to the tougher books......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

The tale of a coal miner's daughter may be a familiar one, but this upbeat story has a happy ending (Dana Dutch) and of course lovely (Matt Baker) art:

(from Pictorial Romances #16, November 1952)

c61fa2f7-457d-4835-b943-2288258df47f_zpsp1wra4hu.jpg

Dana Dutch was an underappreciated talent. Many of his stories were well written attempts to grapple with important issues facing young adults. The stories were sophisticated and mature in both themes and execution.

In some ways he was like Carl Barks. While many funny animal stories are unreadable and their authors were hacks grinding out the same old stuff month after month, Barks took great pains with his plotting and dialogue. Dutch stands out in a similar way among writers of romance stories.

Both had their clinkers, and with Dutch it's often hard to be certain whether a story is by him or not. Of course, if we credit only the well-written St John romance stories to him, we end up overestimating his abilities.

TAR 32 is super hot - the most submitted St John romance for 2016 (six books). Even so, the average grade achieved - 4.75!

TAR 32 is a Top Ten Baker for me, I was so happy to get one (again, another boardie brother helped me out :) ), especially when the book has white pages!

The composition and inking on the TLP 3 is something I very much enjoy, also.

Dana Dutch was an underappreciated talent. Many of his stories were well written attempts to grapple with important issues facing young adults. The stories were sophisticated and mature in both themes and execution.

Well said, Tony - the siren call of Baker's art captured me first, but now I'm really appreciating Dutch's writing efforts.

The sophisticated tales create a powerful impact, apart from the hack stories in other publisher's books.

For example, a girl telling her boyfriend on a weekend getaway, "Don't expect too much from me on this trip" sends a clear yet subtle message.

keep an eye on the oversized issues Steve - you'll enjoy the art in those a lot

I've got one (TAR 17 in bad shape), and it's very cool!

What's the deal with the oversize anyway? The book I have is noticeably taller than normal.

What's the deal with the oversize anyway?

They are noticeably taller than normal.

Just like you! :kidaround:

I'm reading up on St. John, and he certainly liked to experiment with different processes. I'm just curious if the oversize was a printer issue, an attempt to get more newsstand attention, etc. (shrug)