• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,347 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Very few of my Pictorial Romances are slabbed, but here's a highest graded. 

Been thinking of pressing this. Very good upgrade potential.

pictorial romances 5.jpg

I know it sounds like a broken record but the grade is amazing and the cover is another absolute classic.  Probably among the top 2 remaining copies in the world.  I always hold out hope there is another original owner collection out there yet to be discovered. 

34 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Very few of my Pictorial Romances are slabbed, but here's a highest graded. 

Been thinking of pressing this. Very good upgrade potential.

pictorial romances 5.jpg

That's a great copy!

Always loved this particular issue, I was fortunate to upgrade recently to a decent copy with strong colors (but noticeably mis-cut, unfortunately).

b8b9a405-8dec-4251-b322-eda68d8405f1_zps

16 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

That's a great copy!

Always loved this particular issue, I was fortunate to upgrade recently to a decent copy with strong colors (but noticeably mis-cut, unfortunately).

b8b9a405-8dec-4251-b322-eda68d8405f1_zps

You did well. Looks very nice from here.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Crippen copy of the first issue in the three-issue precursor run.

pic16a_zps65297c1f.jpg

Tony that is one STUNNING book! :applause:

this thread is showing NO signs of stopping. Great books all!

3 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

I know it sounds like a broken record but the grade is amazing and the cover is another absolute classic.  Probably among the top 2 remaining copies in the world.  I always hold out hope there is another original owner collection out there yet to be discovered. 

Sixth St and Mile High will enter the market and be game changers - not a question of if, but when.  Chuck had the PR 5 as NM+.  I remember when Ron's copy was auctioned off, I believe I fell out once it passed $500.  Should have gone ballz to the walls for the Sparkle books too.  Ah well.

8 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Don't forget your photocovers, boys. :preach:

Campy, not trampy.

Teen-Age%20Romances07f_zpsvf55m16y.jpg

Some very cool Photo covers and should not be ignored.  But let's face it, very hard to be side by side Mr. Baker.  The Photo covers are still affordable so now might be a good time to pick up a few.

9 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Sixth St and Mile High will enter the market and be game changers - not a question of if, but when.  Chuck had the PR 5 as NM+.  I remember when Ron's copy was auctioned off, I believe I fell out once it passed $500.  Should have gone ballz to the walls for the Sparkle books too.  Ah well.

I am curious as I know a lot of the 6th Street books might have some water damage issues although they looked very nice.  I wonder if there will be a lot of 5.0 - 7.0 in that collection, but few 8.0+.

As far as Mile High, were there many Baker Romances in there?  I seem to remember some but definitely not complete runs.  I even allegedly own a MH Baker romance but it looks nothing like a MH as it is a regular VG.  I heard that there were some second hand purchases by Edgar but not sure if that applied to some of the MH 50s books?  

7 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

I am curious as I know a lot of the 6th Street books might have some water damage issues although they looked very nice.  I wonder if there will be a lot of 5.0 - 7.0 in that collection, but few 8.0+.

As far as Mile High, were there many Baker Romances in there?  I seem to remember some but definitely not complete runs.  I even allegedly own a MH Baker romance but it looks nothing like a MH as it is a regular VG.  I heard that there were some second hand purchases by Edgar but not sure if that applied to some of the MH 50s books?  

The Mile High EC's are from the same time period as these Bakers, and they run the gamut (presuming they can even be identified as such).

The second-hand Church books are found from 1936-1939 and can be identified by a double-slash mark in the upper left-hand corner of the front cover (or sometimes just a "6c" notation for six cents). They can still pop like a Mile High off the stands, but the condition is usually less (they were "used" books).

10 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

There'a  Mile High PR5? Did John McLaughlin own it? Now a 5.0 with cat pee.

On 4/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, BakerFanOne said:

Here are some Pictorial Romances in higher grades:

PictorialRomances_Slabs0001.jpg

PictorialRomances_Slabs0002.jpg

What's going on with the case on the PR13? It looks like the label is sliding down to the comic.  I've always liked that PR6!

17 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

Although this is a lower grade copy, I have always liked this cover quite a bit.  Hopefully there is a 7.0+ lurking out there.

Baker_Misc0009.jpg

At least they got the label correct on yours.

Blue Ribbon 4.JPG