• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

I love your group shot. Many of those covers I've never seen, and then there are the handful that seem to turn up on a regular basis. (Why is that?) I do have one request for you, which is to sometime post a pic that shows all the covers. I do not mean to look a gifthorse in the mouth, I'd just like to see 'em in full glory sometime.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the entire St. John library? This would be too large for one group shot.

No, I mean the Wartime Romances collection. Your photo shows them fanned out, which only partially displays the covers. Like I said, I realize I'm lookin' a gift-horse in the mouth here. But if you ever have them all out again, and find an easy way to arrange them so the full covers show, that would make a neat photo.

Naturally, if you had any of the other titles out, I wouldn't turn away from looking at a cool group shot of those either. In fact, if you ever have free time and feel over-caffeinated, you really should photograph your complete collection of St. John comics -- you know, for insurance purposes! (And for us to drool over.) I wouldn't expect that you'd lay them all out for one big group shot, but rather take separate photos, grouped by name or genre.

Then again, you could just ignore my suggestions. Always a safe bet!

Thanks for the interest :) Show us a group shot of your nice Baker collection :baiting: I've still got some stragglers that I'm having difficulty finding.

This one below is one of the favorites in my collection. It's an 8.5, I couldn't get the slab image all in the scanner.

APATLSa.jpg

Edited by JvR11

I've heard the #3 is tough- strangely enough that was the first Baker romance I ever picked up - in solid 5.0

Never seen another.

I've known this for a long time, too, that WR 3 is most likely the toughest issue of the run. I only know of 3 or 4 copies in private collections. I do remember seeing one on eBay, many years ago. But that's the only copy I'd ever seen for sale... until about six weeks ago...

At a recent show I was looking through a box of miscellaneous GA, and as I flipped through the books, suddenly the familiar WR logo appeared. It only took me a split second to recognize the issue number, but here's how that split second broke down:

Starting from the top of the book, I thought, "It's an issue of Wartime Romances! ... It has a white background behind the logo... (but so do about half a dozen other issues... so I'd better keep looking down to the cover art...) It's an issue I need... and it's not a 1... or a 5... or a 7... or a 9... or a 13... which are all the most likely white-logo-background issues it would be... so, incredible as it seems... it's got to be an issue 3. Holy cow!"

Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a nice looking VG+. I didn't think twice about paying the $90. as marked on the sticker. Complete issue by Baker, and produced just as he was entering his peak form period. It was a great con. I also picked up a nice WR 9 from Harley, and dug up a low grade Teen-Age Romances 41, which is another super tough issue (and one I already have... so I might try listing this one on eBay).

Thanks for the interest :) Show us a group shot of your nice Baker collection :baiting: I've still got some stragglers that I'm having difficulty finding.

This one below is one of the favorites in my collection. It's an 8.5, I couldn't get the slab image all in the scanner.

Nice! Love it. I'll show you my Baker collection if you promise not to laugh.

By the way, is this a Baker cover?

apc10.jpg

A local comics seller has a copy, and I am tempted to buy it even though it's probably only a GD+ or GD/VG copy. How rare is it, and what do you think it's worth?

Yes, it is Baker and if you notice carefully it's my avatar. Somewhat uncommon. If you like it, go for it. Don't pay too much for a copy in that grade though.

This isn't Baker, but I figured you all would appreciate a look at this comic:

untamed-love-01.jpg

I love the blue color on the cover. This is a Canadian reprint and I thought it looked pretty cool when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it appears to be trimmed on the right edge -- either that, or the Canadian reprint was badly produced. (I would consider returning it to the seller, but she's in Nova Scotia, and the sale price wasn't much anyway.)

Anyway, the inside stories are full of romance grooviness:

untamed-love-02.jpg

untamed-love-03.jpg

untamed-love-04.jpg

untamed-love-05.jpg

I wanted that book so badly from antiquekeeper on ebay but I missed the auction end due to the extremes of working during that whole week due to the G20 summit in Toronto :frustrated:

Nice book. I would have paid twice what it went for.

BTW, you need to give that ebay seller some feedback, she deserves it for those books she put up in the last month :applause:

You were her first sale.

I wanted that book so badly from antiquekeeper on ebay but I missed the auction end due to the extremes of working during that whole week due to the G20 summit in Toronto :frustrated: Nice book. I would have paid twice what it went for. BTW, you need to give that ebay seller some feedback, she deserves it for those books she put up in the last month :applause:

You were her first sale.

Agreed, I need to give feedback. Just got this today though. Nova Scotia mail is slow. (Regarding the trimming, that's something I could have detected from the photos, so I don't hold it against the seller.) And you're right, she had some amazing other stuff, including those awesome Venus comics.

This isn't Baker, but I figured you all would appreciate a look at this comic:

untamed-love-01.jpg

I love the blue color on the cover. This is a Canadian reprint and I thought it looked pretty cool when I bought it. What I didn't realize is that it appears to be trimmed on the right edge -- either that, or the Canadian reprint was badly produced. (I would consider returning it to the seller, but she's in Nova Scotia, and the sale price wasn't much anyway.)

Anyway, the inside stories are full of romance grooviness:

untamed-love-02.jpg

untamed-love-03.jpg

untamed-love-04.jpg

untamed-love-05.jpg

Sell it to Subliminal if you aren't completely happy with it :baiting::)

By the way, is this a Baker cover?

apc10.jpg

A local comics seller has a copy, and I am tempted to buy it even though it's probably only a GD+ or GD/VG copy. How rare is it, and what do you think it's worth?

I think there are 3 really good Authentic Police Cases covers by Baker and that is one of them. I only have two of the three but still looking for the railroad cover.

I like the other APC Baker covers but not as much.

2568180857_247dd979cf.jpg2797304525_13b89459e7.jpg3362774976_a52148eb0e.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think there are 3 really good Authentic Police Cases covers by Baker and that is one of them. I only have two of the three but still looking for the railroad cover.

I like the other APC Baker covers but not as much.

Cool summation of the best Baker covers. I agree, and like you, I have 2 out of 3 of them. I just got #10 today from a local seller, at the exorbitant cost of $20. Baker's best stuff often involves a diagonal, mid-air female, doesn't it? Another APC cover I like is #4, but that's not Baker, it's somebody named "Bee."

For the heck of it, and also in response to Joanna, here are most of the Baker covers in my collection. Pretty paltry compared to many here, but they make me happy... (There are a few not included, such as Lorna Doone.)

matt-baker-comics.jpg

That's a nice looking group shot. (thumbs u

For the heck of it, and also in response to Joanna, here are most of the Baker covers in my collection. Pretty paltry compared to many here, but they make me happy... (There are a few not included, such as Lorna Doone.)

matt-baker-comics.jpg

That's a nice looking group shot. (thumbs u

Really cool group shot! Curious where you picked up your TR41 from? This one is hard to come by.