• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

For some reason this splash page of original art was not identified in the AE article.

It looks like the Baker splash for Mysta in Planet 57.

Probably worth about $10K don't you think.

3327519022_b9418e2b56_o.jpg

I've been visiting Mysta by Baker. I really think these are some great Baker art. I don't think the Baker family has the actual original art from this. The B/W photo in Alter Ego is from photostat of which the family has the entire issue. I can only imagine what the OA would go for. I do wish more people would come out and post the OA they have for Baker. I've heard that the Seven Seas 4 and 6 exist somewhere in someone's collection. And, can you imagine seeing some Phantom Lady OA?

Edited by JvR11

Not sure if I have seen this one posted before. It is the last Diary Secrets (#30).

DIARYSECT30.jpg

Fantastic cover.

Is it just me (probably is as always) or does this girl look exactly like Juliet Jones' sister Eve?

Here's a comparison shot with two drawings of Eve by Stan Drake around the Baker image. The Heart of Juliet Jones started in 1953 and this book came out in 1955 so it's possible Baker was inspired by the strip.

90803.jpg.cf38eae37317683704887ca82df6550c.jpg

Not sure if I have seen this one posted before. It is the last Diary Secrets (#30).

DIARYSECT30.jpg

Fantastic cover.

Is it just me (probably is as always) or does this girl look exactly like Juliet Jones' sister Eve?

Here's a comparison shot with two drawings of Eve by Stan Drake around the Baker image. The Heart of Juliet Jones started in 1953 and this book came out in 1955 so it's possible Baker was inspired by the strip.

When I see this cover, I always think of the movie posters of this time. I wonder if it was inspired from something along these lines. This is also a great comparison about Eve.

Edited by JvR11

I was just looking at some old movie posters from 1954/1955. Some were just as (if not more) provocative as the comic book covers but you never heard Wertham complaining about these. And, I'm sure these posters were seen by children. Anyways, I saw this poster of Marilyn and thought maybe the composition might have inspired Baker. Diary Secrets 30 came out in September 1955 and Seven Year Itch came out in June 1955. So, it is possible he was influenced by the poster.

seven_year_itch_xlg.jpg

For some reason this splash page of original art was not identified in the AE article.

It looks like the Baker splash for Mysta in Planet 57.

Probably worth about $10K don't you think.

3327519022_b9418e2b56_o.jpg

I've been visiting Mysta by Baker. I really think these are some great Baker art. I don't think the Baker family has the actual original art from this. The B/W photo in Alter Ego is from photostat of which the family has the entire issue. I can only imagine what the OA would go for. I do wish more people would come out and post the OA they have for Baker. I've heard that the Seven Seas 4 and 6 exist somewhere in someone's collection. And, can you imagine seeing some Phantom Lady OA?

I think Acerno can give you a pretty good idea about the Phantom Lady OA.

2963629444_3590470bdd_o.jpg

Yes it does BB. I don't recall how many Canteen Kate's there are in this particular one. I very rarely see them and then I saw two just recently up for auction. I picked this one up probably about 6 months ago.

The True Love Pict. # 11 is certainly a classic Baker cover.

Oh Joanne, I just know you want to get rid of that lousy Teen. Tempt. #1 of yours. You can "dump" it off to me anytime.

Here are some more issues out of my archives.

TRUE LOVE 10

TEEN TEMPT 3

TEEN ROM 43

PICT ROM 21

PICT CONF 1

DIARY SEC 22

DIARY SEC 12

Oh Joanne, I just know you want to get rid of that lousy Teen. Tempt. #1 of yours. You can "dump" it off to me anytime.

TRUELOVE10.jpg

I don't remember seeing this one before. Looks great RS.

bb

TRUE LOVE 10

TEEN TEMPT 3

TEEN ROM 43

PICT ROM 21

PICT CONF 1

DIARY SEC 22

DIARY SEC 12

You've got a great collection! Keep on posting :cloud9: