• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Way too high. I think a Phantom Lady Page could bring that if one came up. 

You’re probably better off putting your money into Peanuts art in that range unless you are 100% sure what you are getting is a Baker piece and not something a few talking heads “think” is a Baker. 

Otherwise just look at it as a cool piece of GA art regardless who drew it. 

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Well maybe I'm a bit high on my guess... but this one went for $6,500 three years ago before everyone went truly Bakernanas.... I bet it'd get at least twice that now ...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/matt-baker-fight-comics-42-tiger-girl-partially-hand-colored-page-original-art-fiction-house-1946-/a/7093-92225.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

(thumbsu That’s very cool one for sure 

On 10/27/2017 at 4:42 PM, kat123 said:

Anyone else here in the Baker Romance thread owns Baker OA??

or any John Thornton Flamingos?

thanks to this CGC boards Baker OA prices are going up.

Speaking of which, did anyone grab this one last night on Heritage:  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/alex-blum-and-matt-baker-attributed-seven-seas-comics-1-story-pages-2-3-original-art-leader-enterprises-1946-total-2-original-art-/a/121744-15010.s?type=bidnotice-dailystatus

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice early Baker pencils and inks assist.

someone did not me.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:27 AM, The-Collector said:

Oh man!! what a score.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:27 AM, The-Collector said:

Oh man!! what a score.

I saw this one too late. Congrats on a major score!

On 10/30/2017 at 10:05 AM, kat123 said:
On 10/30/2017 at 8:56 AM, Sqeggs said:

Nice early Baker pencils and inks assist.

Seems as if someone got a pretty good price considering they are receiving two pages for $1,000, even if the art is only partially (maybe a small part!) Baker and the content isn't too exciting.

Wrt the Flamingo piece, I had some dialog with HA, as I imagine others may have as well.  They are firm on identifying it as Baker.  They think the consignor is reliable, others they showed it to say it's Baker, and they believe it was probably a promotional piece that the syndicate prepared to send to newspapers (although they don't know this with certainty).  They also mentioned that "Matt Baker" is written on the back in pencil, although they are not relying on that info because, of course, it could have been added by someone long after the piece was drawn.

So, I guess it's up to each potential bidder to make up his mind, knowing that there is some uncertainty in the attribution.  

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wrt the Flamingo piece, I had some dialog with HA, as I imagine others may have as well.  They are firm on identifying it as Baker.  They think the consignor is reliable, others they showed it to say it's Baker, and they believe it was probably a promotional piece that the syndicate prepared to send to newspapers (although they don't know this with certainty).  They also mentioned that "Matt Baker" is written on the back in pencil, although they are not relying on that info because, of course, it could have been added by someone long after the piece was drawn.

So, I guess it's up to each potential bidder to make up his mind, knowing that there is some uncertainty in the attribution.  

wasn't albert moy selling this piece on his website?? Consignor is a Matt Baker art expert???if is not signed and it doesn't look any similar to Matt Baker flamingo style. 

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Obviously, HA is in no position to fight with a consignor who has likely provided them with much product for profit. If they even allowed that the piece "might not" be Baker would limit the final sale price to probably a tenth of what they hope to get if it were a real Baker piece. 

I can find no example of authentic Baker art where the female's hair line is in the middle of her forehead. If someone else can, show me. 

On 10/25/2017 at 10:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

Interesting point.  Certainly seems to be true in these examples. 

On 10/25/2017 at 10:00 PM, Sqeggs said:

Interesting point.  Certainly seems to be true in these examples. 

Early on in my OA life I read somewhere that the secret to decoding an artist is how they draw ears. Just sayin'. 

12 minutes ago, MBFan said:

Obviously, HA is in no position to fight with a consignor who has likely provided them with much product for profit. If they even allowed that the piece "might not" be Baker would limit the final sale price to probably a tenth of what they hope to get if it were a real Baker piece. 

I can find no example of authentic Baker art where the female's hair line is in the middle of her forehead. If someone else can, show me. 

Yes but mis-identifying the artist may be seen as fraud. They can protest ignorance, but they've already received messages doubting its authenticity. Art is sometimes hard to identify, but not in this case.

37 minutes ago, Bird said:

Early on in my OA life I read somewhere that the secret to decoding an artist is how they draw ears. Just sayin'. 

The final look of the ears would depend upon the inker. As this article shows (http://dccomicsartists.com/batman/Sprang.htm) one could determine whether Richard Sprang's Batman art was inked by Shelly Moldoff or Charles Paris, based on the look of Robin's ears. 

17 hours ago, MBFan said:

The final look of the ears would depend upon the inker. As this article shows (http://dccomicsartists.com/batman/Sprang.htm) one could determine whether Richard Sprang's Batman art was inked by Shelly Moldoff or Charles Paris, based on the look of Robin's ears. 

You also never know if the work was even limited to just 2 people either (artist and inker) since things like face redraws,etc. by other artists “fixing”things for publishers has been occurring from the beginning in comics.

The comments on the Flamingo work is a good example of there not being a consensus     on what really is Matt Bakers work not only in art but in the comics. The small sampling by posters here done on the poll for top covers was a good example. Now with the recent interest over the past decade in him sellers are using the confusion to their advantage. Instead of using the old standby “?” on things that people “think” “might” be Bakers which is at least somewhat fair too many people have become art experts picking what they think is Bakers work and sticking to it be it for their own personal gains or just because they are apparently better at identifying things than everyone else.

Buying Baker art or claimed work on comics by him should have the BUYER BEWARE right in front.

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

You also never know if the work was even limited to just 2 people either (artist and inker) since things like face redraws,etc. by other artists “fixing”things for publishers has been occurring from the beginning in comics.

The comments on the Flamingo work is a good example of there not being a consensus     on what really is Matt Bakers work not only in art but in the comics. The small sampling by posters here done on the poll for top covers was a good example. Now with the recent interest over the past decade in him sellers are using the confusion to their advantage. Instead of using the old standby “?” on things that people “think” “might” be Bakers which is at least somewhat fair too many people have become art experts picking what they think is Bakers work and sticking to it be it for their own personal gains or just because they are apparently better at identifying things than everyone else.

Buying Baker art or claimed work on comics by him should have the BUYER BEWARE right in front.

...... Baker produced work that was intended for many different markets, and presumably the art direction may have varied. His magazine work was a good example. In regards to the hairlines, I remember many artist's "how to" books insisted the hairline was supposed to come down to the center of the forehead as a rule of thumb. Perhaps the art director for the Flamingo project insisted on that. Baker's approach did seem to vary a bit from publisher to publisher, at least from a design standpoint. I know as I've become more interested in his work, my opinions have changed and evolved. A good example for me is the cover to Atomic Comics 4...... I now see what Squeggs was talking about and wonder if it may actually be an example of an earlier cover by Baker. It's a shame he never got the chance to do some covers for Fiction House.... it would have been a fine opportunity to see the direction his work would have taken under different art direction. It's a shame no one evr got the chance to interview him in regards to his personal retrospective of his work.... and possibly his philosophy towards it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

53 minutes ago, szavisca said:

More affordable Baker non-romance for the masses...got this one for <100$ that I'm happy about...nice Baker babe on the cover, really nice color, and a dead body if that's what you're into (I'm not so much but it strikes me as something that woulda been considered a bit taboo for a cover back then).  Writing of any kind on my covers kinda kills me but I'm doing my best to squint real hard and convince myself that this is an authentic Matt Baker signature....

apc34.jpg

:applause:You're scoring some great bargains buddy. 'Caribbean Dope'? Early overdose reference coverhm