• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

To me, this is clearly NOT Baker.  but I would say that the artist absolutely tried his or her best to emulate Baker with minimal success.  

thank you

I knew this when I took this picture back in 2006. Comes to light more when you have Baker and Thornton strips to compare the artist. 

On 11/2/2017 at 11:31 AM, Sqeggs said:

Wrt the Flamingo piece, I had some dialog with HA, as I imagine others may have as well.  They are firm on identifying it as Baker.  They think the consignor is reliable, others they showed it to say it's Baker, and they believe it was probably a promotional piece that the syndicate prepared to send to newspapers (although they don't know this with certainty).  They also mentioned that "Matt Baker" is written on the back in pencil, although they are not relying on that info because, of course, it could have been added by someone long after the piece was drawn.

So, I guess it's up to each potential bidder to make up his mind, knowing that there is some uncertainty in the attribution.  

I don't collect OA, so maybe I shouldn't comment, but my biggest issue with this piece is that it's not particularly impressive, regardless of the artist. I understand the desire to own OA by one of the greats could compel someone to buy what they can find or afford, but for me OA has to be historically important or to stand on it's own merits to be appealing.

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I don't collect OA, so maybe I shouldn't comment, but my biggest issue with this piece is that it's not particularly impressive, regardless of the artist. I understand the desire to own OA by one of the greats could compel someone to buy what they can find or afford, but for me OA has to be historically important or to stand on it's own merits to be appealing.

I have never seen a Baker Flamingo drawing that wasn't impressive.

10 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I think it's the relative scarcity of Baker OA that has people contemplating this one.  A page from a St John romance story (or a cover!) would be ideal, but I think that only a handful of those are known to have survived.  Flamingo has GGA appeal, even if the art isn't St John romance.  We'll soon know what the hobby thinks of this particular piece.  It's currently at about $1K (with BP). 

18 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Baker was, unfortunately, not far from the end of the trail himself when this one came out.  His four pager was his only contribution to this run.

WildW_56_BA.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

....it always makes me sad to see the Atlas work near the end of his life..... just a few years before the birth of the Marvel Universe....what might have been.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

....it always makes me sad to see the Atlas work near the end of his life..... just a few years before the birth of the Marvel Universe....what might have been.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Yep. Joe Maneely would be gone in not more than a year and a few months when this book was on the stands too. 

Just picked this one up today; the cover is not normally attributed to Baker but the man in the foreground sure looks like it could be him.  And he definitely did the first story inside the book.

Exotic_Romances_28.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
reuploading photo

23 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Sorry for just taking a picture of the Baker splash rather than scanning, but didn’t want to risk damaging the book... it’s easily the best grade of any of the few Baker books I have

CDD9E4CE-6B00-425B-B77A-7721BD7BFA93.jpeg

It seems to me that the background figures in the Quality books look exactly like Baker figures, but the foreground figures are missing something...