• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RobbieC said:

I have had this copy for around 5 years and recently graded it.  I haven't really shown it off before. The story behind finding it was I stopped to eat at an Outback on the way home from a road trip. Across the street was a comic shop. I rarely go to comic shops, maybe once or twice per year. I walked in and they didn't have much that interested me but they had a couple mag boxes of golden age under their tables. I was more than shocked when I came across this copy of CL 25. I had been aware of it for years but GA romance is generally not what I collect. The kicker was there were about 10 or so more Baker covers in similar or nicer grades. The ones I remember were Going Steady and more Cinderella Loves. I didn't own a smart phone at the time and wasn't sure on the rest so I left them. I realized what I passed up on about 6 months later and ran into the owner at a local con. I asked if he still had them. He said he couldn't sell them so he just blew them out to a dealer. Surprising to hear considering the very low price tags he had on them. Oh well. At least I scored this beauty...

20180304_153219.thumb.png.e3ef2b9ed88bf8d9359b4f6ca4db9716.png

Stunning. What a find. 

16 minutes ago, RobbieC said:

I have had this copy for around 5 years and recently graded it.  I haven't really shown it off before. The story behind finding it was I stopped to eat at an Outback on the way home from a road trip. Across the street was a comic shop. I rarely go to comic shops, maybe once or twice per year. I walked in and they didn't have much that interested me but they had a couple mag boxes of golden age under their tables. I was more than shocked when I came across this copy of CL 25. I had been aware of it for years but GA romance is generally not what I collect. The kicker was there were about 10 or so more Baker covers in similar or nicer grades. The ones I remember were Going Steady and more Cinderella Loves. I didn't own a smart phone at the time and wasn't sure on the rest so I left them. I realized what I passed up on about 6 months later and ran into the owner at a local con. I asked if he still had them. He said he couldn't sell them so he just blew them out to a dealer. Surprising to hear considering the very low price tags he had on them. Oh well. At least I scored this beauty...

20180304_153219.thumb.png.e3ef2b9ed88bf8d9359b4f6ca4db9716.png

Yowza and White pages to boot!  Sensational find!

7 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was happy to end up with this one even though it cost me a little more than I would have preferred. One of my favorite Baker montage covers.

IMG_0270.PNG

I'm glad you won it and I'm glad it was won by someone who realized that Heritage's write-up was incorrect to say that it's the highest graded copy.  It (and SS 4) are probably my favorite Baker non-St John covers.

And it might be worth mentioning that Heritage seems to be making a lot of errors lately in referencing the census.  I won a book last night that supposedly had only one copy on the census when in fact there are three copies. So, for anyone for whom census rank matters a lot, it's worth double checking what Heritage says in an auction write-up. 

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm glad you won it and I'm glad it was won by someone who realized that Heritage's write-up was incorrect to say that it's the highest graded copy.  It (and SS 4) are probably my favorite Baker non-St John covers.

And it might be worth mentioning that Heritage seems to be making a lot of errors lately in referencing the census.  I won a book last night that supposedly had only one copy on the census when in fact there are three copies. So, for anyone for whom census rank matters a lot, it's worth double checking what Heritage says in an auction write-up. 

I noticed the error (as you know I am aware of the Mile High copy lol

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I was happy to end up with this one even though it cost me a little more than I would have preferred. One of my favorite Baker montage covers.

IMG_0270.PNG

Lovely book and white paper to boot (thumbsu

Have we already ranked Cinderella Love 15, 25-29?  Well, either way here's mine... 

#1.  25  (Duh.)
#2.  27  (After number one, this immediately gets tough...)
#3.  28  (A bittersweet, almost sad cover, but the girl's daydream is so enchanting.)
#4.  26  (Very tough to put these last three in order...
#5   29  ...my adoration of them all is so close...
#6   15  ...I may as well just draw the numbers from a hat.) 

For reference: 

8 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Here is the 7.0 from ComicConnect. Though I paid a lot more than $550 for it.  At the time,  I thought I had taken leave of my senses after winning it.

5a9e32f0c3309_TEENTEMPTS2.thumb.jpg.38ac9a6880fb83aab7ef7500fb188fb9.jpg

Sensational colors!

47 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
Have we already ranked Cinderella Love 15, 25-29?  Well, either way here's mine... 

#1.  25  (Duh.)
#2.  27  (After number one, this immediately gets tough...)
#3.  28  (A bittersweet, almost sad cover, but the girl's daydream is so enchanting.)
#4.  26  (Very tough to put these last three in order...
#5   29  ...my adoration of them all is so close...
#6   15  ...I may as well just draw the numbers from a hat.) 

For reference: 

1.  25 (Double duh!)

2.  28 (One of his absolute best)

3.  26 (Such a great cover and another indication of how innovative he was)

4.  15 (Classic theme of the pretty girl torn between the rich guy (wearing a tuxedo, no less!) and the poor, honest, hard-working, thoughtful, well-mannered, diligent, guy from the neighborhood (in his high school t-shirt)) :gossip: Take the rich guy!

5.  27 (Interesting composition.  I don't think he did many snow scenes.)

6.  29 (I know a lot of people love this one, but it's not one of my favs.)

9 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

Here is the 7.0 from ComicConnect. Though I paid a lot more than $550 for it.  At the time,  I thought I had taken leave of my senses after winning it.

5a9e32f0c3309_TEENTEMPTS2.thumb.jpg.38ac9a6880fb83aab7ef7500fb188fb9.jpg

Great color quality.

27 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

1.  25 (Double duh!)

2.  28 (One of his absolute best)

3.  26 (Such a great cover and another indication of how innovative he was)

4.  15 (Classic theme of the pretty girl torn between the rich guy (wearing a tuxedo, no less!) and the poor, honest, hard-working, thoughtful, well-mannered, diligent, guy from the neighborhood (in his high school t-shirt)) :gossip: Take the rich guy!

5.  27 (Interesting composition.  I don't think he did many snow scenes.)

6.  29 (I know a lot of people love this one, but it's not one of my favs.)

There is something special about 26.  I would have to say I like this more than 25.  Also, I would but 28 before 25.  

12 minutes ago, JvR11 said:
35 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

:taptaptap:

I know most don't agree :)

I remembered that CL 26 is your favorite issue, but I was under the impression CL 25 was a close second!