• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,321 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, JvR11 said:
1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

Joanna, is this your OA?

If so congratulations.

Yes, I have had it for quite awhile. I wish there was more of his OA out there.

It would be great.  That's a wonderful piece. 

4 hours ago, sagii said:

One of the Quality covers GDC credits to Baker but Alter Ego and (maybe)the Art of Glamour haven't. I think it's Baker (the guy)heavily inked. 

Brides Romances #18.jpg

I don’t think this is Baker.  Looks more like Crandall to me.  

4 hours ago, sagii said:

Some interiors. I love how on page two she asks the Doctor with out finishing is she pregnant . Only in Romance comics 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Definitely looks a lot more like a Baker. Some panels are unmistakeable as Baker but some of the other panels really look like either the inking was too heavy as you noted before or perhaps some assistants were stepping in to help.  Or maybe his health was failing and he was just mailing it in the best he could?

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Sometimes a Quality Baker is a quality Baker.

ExoticRomance31.jpg

Yes, sometimes.  Exotic Romances 31, Love Secrets 40, and especially Brides Romances 7 are among my own faves.  Some of Baker's interiors are really quite nice, too.

Otherwise, I think a lot of mileage has been squeezed out of a subject (Baker's work at Quality) that can essentially be reduced to inferior inking

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
6 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Sometimes a Quality Baker is a quality Baker.

ExoticRomance31.jpg

Yes, sometimes.  Exotic Romances 31, Love Secrets 40, and especially Brides Romances 7 are among my own faves.  Some of Baker's interiors are really quite nice, too.

Otherwise, I think a lot of mileage has been squeezed out of a subject (Baker's work at Quality) that can essentially be reduced to inferior inking

There are a few pretty good ones.  I would add Wedding Bells 16 to the list.  But I think it goes beyond inferior inking.  

I don't know much about art, but it seems to me that the themes, compositions, and detail just aren't there in his Quality covers.  If I were to make a list of my favorite Baker romance covers, I don't think any of his Quality covers would make it into the top 30.  

To put it another way, his best work at St John, imo, was bunched toward the end.  You might have expected that the skill he had developed by the end of his time at St John would have carried over to his work at Quality, but I think it's hard to argue that it did.

So, I think there was something more going on during his time at Quality beyond his having been paired with a lousy inker. 

wed19a_zps0427c5af.JPG

22 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There are a few pretty good ones.  I would add Wedding Bells 16 to the list.  But I think it goes beyond inferior inking.  

I don't know much about art, but it seems to me that the themes, compositions, and detail just aren't there in his Quality covers.  If I were to make a list of my favorite Baker romance covers, I don't think any of his Quality covers would make it into the top 30.  

To put it another way, his best work at St John, imo, was bunched toward the end.  You might have expected that the skill he had developed by the end of his time at St John would have carried over to his work at Quality, but I think it's hard to argue that it did.

So, I think there was something more going on during his time at Quality beyond his having been paired with a lousy inker. 

Maybe there's a parallel between Quality Baker and Atlas Baker.  After seeing his pencils "Colletta-fied" so many times, he might've just stopped giving 100% out of sheer apathy.  I believe there is evidence to support this theory in the Atlas case.  

A few days ago, we looked at two classic covers (PR 17 and PR 18), so here are the following two giants.

I like the PR 19 quite a bit, the PR 20 not as much. 

Of the group of 4, current Census has PR 18 as the scarcest of the bunch.

PR19.jpg

PR20.jpg

And strangely enough, the story images for PR 19 loaded on Comic Book Plus do not match the contents in the database - unless someone made an error, it almost seems like a remaindered copy? 

I just checked my copy of PR 19, and thankfully the interior does match up to the database. If anyone else has a raw copy of PR 19, it may be worth a minute to look at.

1 minute ago, sacentaur said:

And strangely enough, the story images for PR 19 loaded on Comic Book Plus do not match the contents in the database - unless someone made an error, it almost seems like a remaindered copy? 

I just checked my copy of PR 19, and thankfully the interior does match up to the database. If anyone else has a raw copy of PR 19, it may be worth a minute to look at.

There are rebound variants of both PR 19 and TLP 4.  Oddly enough, both books on Comic Book Plus (and the DCM) are scanned from rebound variants.  

Man, these giants sure don't favor guys in a vert good light. Another pregnant girl in trouble. I don't feel quite so bad as #18 though. Of the 4 I like #17 the best by far. 

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

A few days ago, we looked at two classic covers (PR 17 and PR 18), so here are the following two giants.

PR19.jpg

PR20.jpg

Just now, Robot Man said:

Of the 4 I like #17 the best by far. 

Hard to argue with that - for me, it's: PR 18, PR 17, PR 19, and then PR 20. 

Of course, I want to own them all! :bigsmile:

4 hours ago, sacentaur said:

PR19.jpg

PR20.jpg

PR 20 is such an interesting cover.  I'm not sure what scenario is being depicted on the cover.

"That's my boyfriend in there with your wife!"

"Quick, Mr. PI, get some photos I can use in the divorce proceeding."

"I'm afraid, sir, that we'll have to wait a few minutes before I can show you the house.  The owners appear to be busy."

17 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Hard to argue with that - for me, it's: PR 18, PR 17, PR 19, and then PR 20. 

Of course, I want to own them all! :bigsmile:

Not to beat a dead horse, but don't all four of them run rings around any of his Quality covers?

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but don't all four of them run rings around any of his Quality covers?

Yup - hate to admit this, but the entirety of Baker's Quality output does nothing for me.

Edited by sacentaur

19 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

PR 20 is such an interesting cover.  I'm not sure what scenario is being depicted on the cover.

"That's my boyfriend in there with your wife!"

"Quick, Mr. PI, get some photos I can use in the divorce proceeding."

"I'm afraid, sir, that we'll have to wait a few minutes before I can show you the house.  The owners appear to be busy."

"Do something George, our Tina is only 14!"

"I told you that bush needs trimming!"

Or a more modern take:

"That's my wife in there with your boyfriend!"

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

"Do something George, our Tina is only 14!"

"I told you that bush needs trimming!"

Or a more modern take:

"That's my wife in there with your boyfriend!"

How about..."See Bill, that is how a real man treats his woman!" or "Watch out, that glow is a sure sign of atomic radioactivity! It is too late for them but we can still save ourselves!"

Edited by Bird